Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Re: Guillermo del Toro to direct new "Haunted Mansion" movie!

I was sooo psyched when snorklets mom posted on FB...that news literally made my boring day into a happy one...and the fact he is going to make the HATBOX ghost (correct me here snorklets) as the main character of this film..hopefully this will push Disney to put the Hatbox Ghost back into the ride if this film is a success..
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    barbossa, you are evil
    If not Terrence Howard, then Eric Bana, only to be replaced in the sequel by Edward Norton, and then in the 2nd sequel to be replaced again...

• Not a Crook

Definitely the possibility of a very dark movie. Guillermo brings a love of detailed, eccentric worlds that is perfect for the Haunted Mansion. I am quite surprised they are trying it again so soon after the last failure, although it did work relatively well with Marvel and their Hulk movie (after Ang Lee's bombed).
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Captain EO forever

I smell another in park movie premiere....

But seriously, this movie could be really good!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Please please PLEASE let this be good...and an excuse to finally put the Hatbox Ghost back in.... ^_^

• Suspended

Kiss the "kooky" Marc Davis/Claude Coats Mansion goodbye. You KNOW they're gonna redo it to tie it into the movie. Its the ONLY one left. WDI prob cannot wait.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

FTA:
    "Specific plot details -- as well as what kind of creatures will be featured -- are being guarded as if shut in a coffin, but one ghost that will appear is the Hatbox Ghost, who is dressed in a cloak and top hat, and whose head disappears and reappears in a hatbox the ghost holds in his hand."

This sounds really awesome! I can't wait!

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Kiss the "kooky" Marc Davis/Claude Coats Mansion goodbye. You KNOW they're gonna redo it to tie it into the movie. Its the ONLY one left. WDI prob cannot wait.

Oh god NO please....if they do "redo" it..I hope its just to place the Hatbox ghost rightfully where he belongs..that's all I hope they do it IF they decided to "redo" the HM
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• I'm not really here

Guillermo del Toro is a really good director... and he loves the ride. He said that he intends for this to be a much darker, scary movie. He also said, "and no we are not returning Eddie Murphy's phone calls!"

I think he gets what this one needs to be. Though I'm nervous too, I trust del Toro.

I will watch this project with interest. del Toro loves doing practical effects wherever possible. Animatronics and real sets. He only resorts to CG when it simply can't be done any other way, or done in the time/budget they have left.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    THe Hollywood Reporter has it covered as well:
    Guillermo del Toro to produce 'Haunted Mansion' (exclusive Q&A)
    Great find! If you have any doubts that del Toro possesses the right mindset to give this attraction the quality film it deserves, read the article that SnorkletsMom linked to.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Infinitized!

I take it this reboot/reimagining by del Torro will be under that new Disney label they announced last year (or was it the year before? - the name of that new scary movie branch eludes me right now - what was it Micechatters?)

If they could somehow do a series and incorporate the storyline of Phantom Manor in a future sequel, that would be awesome! And what would be great too is if we got a new re-imagined Tower of Terror movie.

• King of Los Angeles

This mad emy day. Pans labrynth was one of the most original films of the last 2 decades. Go get em GDT. Bring us the film we should have gotten the first time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

This is great news! HM fans have been waiting for Disney to create a movie that IS worthy of the attraction, and erase from our memory, the debacle of the 1st storyline and the horrorible input from Eddie Murphy, Jennifer Tilly, and Michael Eisner. The best way to do that is to have a new movie with a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    Definitely the possibility of a very dark movie. Guillermo brings a love of detailed, eccentric worlds that is perfect for the Haunted Mansion. I am quite surprised they are trying it again so soon after the last failure, although it did work relatively well with Marvel and their Hulk movie (after Ang Lee's bombed).
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    WAIT a minute - take a look at what the article actually said (from the article):
    "We want a scary movie that's as scary as the ride. If you're 11 years old, you can go on the ride but it's still scary," said Disney production head Sean Bailey. "Tonally we're going to make a movie that is for families but is a fun and, at times, scary movie."
    . . . . . . .
    "It's going to be a thrill ride for the whole family but it's definitely going to be scary," he said. "(Walt) Disney is one of the creators of some of the scariest images in my childhood. People forget that he not only made sweet images but also images of nightmare. We need to honor that side of the legacy."
    And it looks like he has a good background of understanding the HM:

He even has a room dedicated to "Mansion" in his home -- filled with secret bookcases, wallpaper from the original ride, and original art from Imagineer and "Mansion" ride co-designer Marc Davis -- something at which Bailey and Taylor marveled when they went over on a Saturday for a brainstorming session.
    And look at this!!!!!

"The result is a unique combination of dark and fun," said del Toro. "I want to really honor the two sensibilities."
    This does have some really great potential! Now, we just have to wait and see what kind of story they come up with, what the movie will look like, and who will be in the movie!

When the word was announced about the 1st HM and PotC movie, at an NFFC/Disneyana meeting, it was easy to see how much potential the PotC movie had and how much interest there was in the movie, after they gave us info about the plot and the actors. However, when the same type of info was given about the HM movie, even though fan were excited about the concept of a HM movie, when hearing further info about the story/actors, there was much more skepticism about it. And a lot of that had to do with focussing the movie on a modern family with a couple little kids, and having Murphy in it, which turned the movie into something with too much schtick. The entire mood of the movie went into the wrong direction. I think a lot of us at that time, wanted more of a period piece, with a background story of the Haunted Mansion. And even today, I think we all really want see a story giving us some of the "haunted history" about the original HM! It's really ironic how the Pirates movie was really a MUCH better ghost story, than the Haunted Mansion movie, was.

For the 2nd try at a HM movie, I'm much more encourage by this limited info, than when the 1st attempt was in the works. I'm sure we will all be anxiously awaiting further details on this 2md movie!
    Last edited by Aladdin; 07-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I take it this reboot/reimagining by del Torro will be under that new Disney label they announced last year (or was it the year before? - the name of that new scary movie branch eludes me right now - what was it Micechatters?)
    I think you're right, and the label you're thinking of is "Disney Double Dare You" (and I wish I was kidding).
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast