• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

DreamWorks Animation Q2 down from 2009

Despite growing revenue, DreamWorks Animation earned 6% less in its second quarter than it did in the same frame a year ago as rising costs ate into profits, the company said Tuesday.

DWA earned $24 million on revenue that rose 20% to $158 million. The financial results surpassed expectations and the stock rose more than 3% in after-hours trading after gaining 1% to $32.08 during the regular session.

The company also said its board has authorized a new $150 million stock buyback program.

The revenue increase came courtesy of "Shrek Forever After" and "How to Train Your Dragon," both of which are hit movies by any standard even though they were viewed early on as mild disappointments for the animation studio.

Company CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg boasted of 13 DWA hits in a row and predicted 2010 would be the studio's biggest boxoffice year. He wasn't exactly going out on a limb, considering DWA will release three films this year, more than any CG-animated studio has before.

Still to come this year is "Megamind" on Nov. 5 featuring Brad Pitt, Will Ferrell, Jonah Hill and Tina Fey.

An analyst on Tuesday noted that Pitt and his marketing power were absent from the Comic-Con panel discussion last week that featured the three other stars, and he asked Katzenberg whether it's worth it to hire high-priced actors to voice animated characters.

"The value of these stars first and foremost to us is in how good they are at doing their work," Katzenberg said. He added: "We expect all of the talent will support the release of the film, including Brad."
    DreamWorks Ani Q2 earnings down from '09

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Re: DreamWorks Animation Q2 down from 2009

I have heard that Dreamworks animation might be going on the block soon. source deadline.com any thoughts on which major studios may buy it?? Would disney go for a mega monopoly in animation? I think thats highly unlikely... Fox maybe? Viacom are already has distrubution rights .....

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Thats Crazy, Despicable m has been doing great, and Shrek also has high numbers and I loved how to Train your Dragon (and it made a good amount too)
    Lets hope Megamind does well because the studio has been making some good films the last two years and I dont want that to change.

^Despicable me isn't Dreamworks.

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yep.

Dreamworks wishes they could make a cool move like Despicable Me.

The fact that they are releasing 3 movies this year and they are all doing semi-decent at the Box Office doesn't mean they are making $$. It means they are spending more on marketing, etc.

And I think people are going to get over-exposed to their movies. I can't even remember the last Dreamworks movie we saw in the theatre. Maybe Kung Fu Panda?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The fact that they are releasing 3 movies this year and they are all doing semi-decent at the Box Office doesn't mean they are making $$. It means they are spending more on marketing, etc.
    Everyone does because they have to.

Looks like the 4th 'Shrek' is still pulling better than decent worldwide*:

Finishing No. 3 on the weekend (down from No. 1 last round) and helping to push Paramount's 2010 foreign boxoffice to about $1.25 billion currently was DreamWorks Animation's "Shrek Forever After" in 3D, which continues to generate substantial business in its graduated overseas rollout. "Shrek's" weekend tally was $34.5 million from 6,505 sites in 44 markets.

No. 1 holds in Mexico and Brazil generated handsome numbers: $4 million from 630 spots in the former for a market total of $18.6 million over two frames, and an estimated $4.1 million in Brazil from 513 locations for a local cume of $27.3 million over three rounds. The fourth "Shrek's" foreign gross total stands at $363.1 million amassed since May 20.
    Box Office Mojo has it at home & away thus far with $598,160,515 and 'How to Train Your Dragon' at over $479+ million worldwide, and both should easily slay as home entertainment releases, cable & broadcast sales as well.

Record-setting 'Toy Story' No. 1 again overseas
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006