Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Que que no-tu-rah.

HUNCHBACK like almost all of the modern Disney films has a split personality. One the one hand it wanted to broaden the notion of what most usually think of as a Disney film and on the other it wanted to be a rolicking kiddie flick. These goals are so oppositve that the movie was doomed to fail. However, there is much to praise in HUNCHBACK.

I adore it's sondtrack. It's the most complicated, interesting, daring soundtrack the studio has ever come up with. Just ignore that awful Gargoyle mess that is "A Guy Like You" (that spilt personality rears it's head in every aspect of the film).

The artistry in backgrounds, character design, animation and effects are astounding. Undeniably, HUNCHBACK is the height of modern Dsiney artistry. I'm floored by it's beauty every time I watch it. Numerous times during my first viewing I had tears and sharp intakes of breath from visuals alone.

Combine the daring music and astounding visuals with a story that is mainly a very dark, deep and moving story and you've got an amazing experience. But to fully appreciate it you have to sit through lame goat jokes and childish Gargoyles continually barging in and ruining the experience.

I love HUNCHBACK but there is no denying it is a very flawed film. I also agree with Roy Disney that this was not a story that Disney should have tackled to begin with. Disney is a family-friendly comapny but the Hunchback story is not a simple easy story, in fact it's controversial. I'm amazed that it was ever green lit. To do it justice Disney would have had to ignore much of their core audinece. I think they did the best that they could have. This is a case where all the success of films like MERMAID, BEAUTY & THE BEAST and LION KING went to everyones heads. They figured they could do anything and forgot who they were. Still, I wouldn't trade HUNCHBACK. Without it I would have missed out on many hours of wonder and joy.

I thank Disney for the wonderful mess that is THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by yensid98
    HUNCHBACK like almost all of the modern Disney films has a split personality. One the one hand it wanted to broaden the notion of what most usually think of as a Disney film and on the other it wanted to be a rolicking kiddie flick. These goals are so oppositve that the movie was doomed to fail.
    And that, my friends, is what happens when you use focus groups. Or let management weigh in on creative issues.
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Of all the Disney villains, Frollo tops the list of despised in my book. The music is what really sells the movie to me though.

Someone mentioned about why the choice to make Frollo a judge instead of a Catholic priest. Hmmmm, how to get the point across .......Disney is not in the habit of intentionally offending and alienating anyone who has money to their name. Given how America for all intents and purposes is a Christian country, it is not wise to offend the Catholic congregtation that would be going to see this with their kids.

I agree with Mr. Disney. The content was extremely difficult to convey to a 10 year old. However, that being said, had the project NOT been greenlighted I most likely would not have been inclined to even read the book.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Minion

I never read the book, so I don't really have a basis for comparison, but I watched for the first time as a kid, and I had no problem with it. While the tone was a bit darker than most, and the story a bit harder than traditional Disney, I still think of it as one of the better Disney films...

As for the book, well look at Disney as a whole! What movie based on a story/book hasn't been adapted? It happened with Snow White, Little Mermaid, Song of the South, Beauty and the Beast...

Disney tried to make Song of the South tried to make a heart-warming, family story about a series of stories that dealt with slavery. Same difference.

Over the years, I just looked at Disney as independent. I never tried to compare their stories. They were their own seperate entity.

That having been said, I like Hunchback!

• Minion

I don't hate this movie, but my friends do. They complain that the ending is just too sad.

I liked it, but I haven't seen it since it came out (and I was nine or ten).

The fact that it's so loathed bums me out since it decreases the chances of there ever being an animated Les Mis..

• Just Me

I like the movie for the most part. The main thing I dislike is the Frollo song. It is way out of place for a "family" film.

• .......MORE COWBELL

Hey Judge Claude Frollo is a total PERV. I love this movie it is not very "DISNEY" and represented a major risk for the company. Freakin Follo whips himself for having impure thoughts in that fireplace scene.......it was awsome......Oh yea there is also nothing like good old fashoned public humiliation to cheer up the kiddies....This movie rocked

• No bacon; sausage.

The Frollo song ("Hellfire") is the only good thing in the movie. It's yet another "cram the moral message down your throat" flick with no subtlety to the story telling. Every single moment is so transparent and predictable. The characters are shallow. The songs (with the exception of Hellfire) do nothing but restate the obvious. A good musical uses the songs to drive the story or a character forward in a meaninful way. In Hellfire, we're presented with a bit of new information, a side of Frollo we were unaware of before, presented concisely and artfully. None of the other songs do that. They either tell us something we already know (what? He loves her? Gee, I'm glad he sang Heaven's light or I wouldn't have known) or tell TOO much and is just boring exposition (like The Bells of Notre Dame).

• ...the legend

Blog Entries
    I'm really glad this question was asked. My two cents:

Frollo: Creepy and inappropriate

"Out There": Now that you all mention it, the songs were pretty good and that song in particular was goosebump producing, not to mention fun to belt-out around the house--which I love to do w/ Disney songs.

The movie, in a nutshell: Dull, dark. Not amusing; when it tried. Forgettable. (Sounds like Simon from American Idol, doesn't it). I actually sold our VHS copy at a yard sale. Kids never asked to watch it. Didn't like Atlantis either, but I suppose that's another thread...

The book: I also never read it, but I do remember seeing a black-and-white version on the in the 70's a few times. I agree w/ others who say the movie and book/original story don't need to follow to be a good movie.(Ex:Hercules)
    Last edited by Jennidisneyfer; 03-10-2005 at 12:04 PM.

• Original Mice-Chatter

He's a villian, of course he is inappropriate. But for goodness sakes, it's not like he was raping puppies or children- he had a problem with lust for a beautiful woman and his pride and hatred brought him down.

I'm sorry- villians are villians. I fail to see how Frollo was something so horrific that it would scar kids anymore than a witch who turns into a dragon, or poisons you with an apple, or a bully who wants to kill his rival over a girl, how about a demon calling all evil forces to his side?

I think there needs to be some perspective here. Just my 2 cents- which to some of you may be all it's worth LOL

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    He's a villian, of course he is inappropriate. But for goodness sakes, it's not like he was raping puppies or children- he had a problem with lust for a beautiful woman and his pride and hatred brought him down.

I'm sorry- villians are villians. I fail to see how Frollo was something so horrific that it would scar kids anymore than a witch who turns into a dragon, or poisons you with an apple, or a bully who wants to kill his rival over a girl, how about a demon calling all evil forces to his side?

I think there needs to be some perspective here. Just my 2 cents- which to some of you may be all it's worth LOL
    Totally agree. Frollo was the only character in that movie with any shred of depth and reality. Everyone else was completely 1 dimensional. During "Hellfire", I actually thought for a moment that I could like the movie, but alas, I eventually just had to mourn the fact that such a good piece was burried in with the rest of the drivel.

• Que que no-tu-rah.

Well Frolo has lust Nephythys and we all know that lust is much more threatening to children (or rather children's parents) than murder.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by yensid98
    Well Frolo has lust Nephythys and we all know that lust is much more threatening to children (or rather children's parents) than murder.

*snort* LOL....of course it could be argued that Frollo was an embodiment of several the 7 deadly sins. He had lust, greed, and anger going for him...humm, what else. (been awhile since I saw 7- been trying to forget it ever since)

And Frollo did murder people- but just because he had a overwhelming need to possess Esmerelda does not make this movie inappropriate for children, nor does it make the character of Frollo any worse than other Disney villians.

Of course, each parent makes their decisions based on their views, but those views are not automatically the right way for everyone.
    Last edited by Nephythys; 03-11-2005 at 05:49 AM.

• Keeper of Useless Trivia

Hunchback

Though I liked the music in the film and the artwork, I had issues with the fact that the film SHOULD NOT have been rated G. though they magoly toned doned down the subject matter, it was still a little adult for kids (Hellfire anyone? Frollo sniffing Esmerelda's hair? HELLO?!?!?) :confused:
    Evil Disney Guy...I RULE!

• A Little Rabid

Have you guys ever seen the sites out there dedicated to Frollo?
    Apparently he is 'teh sex'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast