• Banned User

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qGaS_IQWU&hd=1]YouTube - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Trailer (HD)[/ame]
    Lucky people in Chicago got a test screening of the film tonight (AUG 21, 2010). Want to read the reactions? Can't wait? The reviews below are from reviews posted on MuggleNet, and I'm sure alot more have been posted since I last checked in the site. Keep in mind too, what the audience saw wasn't the final product, some of the effects, along with the music score weren't finished yet. Below is 1 spoiler-free review, while the last two are not. So, enjoy...

from Kyle
    I was lucky enough to get invited to a secret test screening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I at the AMC River East in Chicago this afternoon. We weren’t told what movie we would be seeing until seconds before it started, but my friends and I suspected that it may be Harry Potter due to the Warner Bros signs and the intense security. When producer David Heyman walked in, I was pretty sure what it would be. Director David Yates was also in attendance, and spent some time talking with fans outside the theatre after the film.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is a great continuation of the series, thematically and visually in line with films 5 and 6. Though it is a fast-paced film, with several nice set pieces and much-improved performances from the young cast, it does suffer from two major problems. First, it faithfully adapts the seventh book, including the book’s own problems. The “camping in the wilderness” scenes become quite repetitive, and the attempts at drama/angst amongst the trio during these scenes comes off as tired. Also, the scenes involving the locket horcrux causing its wearer to be angry/aggressive are far too reminiscent of Lord of the Rings.

All three young stars acquit themselves admirably, however, doing the best they can with the material. Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe, in particular, are quite good. The second problem with the film, and this may be fixed by the time the final cut is released, is the editing. Some scenes feel utterly rushed and incoherent (Godric’s Hollow, for example). Others go on for far too long (Ron becomes jealous, etc.). There are several flashes / dream sequences that demonstrate Voldemort’s search for the Elder Wand. These are bizarrely edited and poorly executed. Luckily, they are just a small fraction of the film.

Despite these issues, this was a quality film on par with films 5 and 6, both of which I quite enjoyed. As with those films, the cinematography is beautiful. There are several creative and dramatic shots throughout the film, so that even if one gets bored, you could just stare in awe at the scenery. The beginning of the film is also quite exciting, including some hilarious scenes with multiple “Harry”s, and a series of great action sequences. The visual effects were not completely finished in these sequences, but I imagine it was quite close to what the final version will be. Another effective sequence involves the trio escaping to a small cafe in London, and a resulting fight that involves wands and spells but feels more like a shootout.
    The film ends at a very appropriate spot, and though not exactly a “cliffhanger”, left me greatly anticipating Part II.

At the end of the film, we all filled out lengthy questionnaires regarding our opinion of the film overall (I gave it 4/5), as well as our likes/dislikes with the performances, scenes, and other aspects. Though I will reserve final judgement until after seeing Part II, this is overall an effective and exciting, if not perfect, continuation of the series that struggles with some of the same problems as the final book, but mostly overcomes them through excellent technical aspects and performances.

from Gaby B:
    I just saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. …And it was beyond excellent. Tweet more deets later when I’m not as overwhelmed. The movie wasn’t completely finished yet. You saw green screen in some parts & the effects aren’t done. The music wasn’t real either. But it was still watchable… and AMAZING!!! Even my brother who’s not a HP fan, LOVED it. One of my fave scenes? Harry cheering up Hermione by dancing with her in the tent. (Was that in the book?) I saw more of Voldemort in this movie than ever. When Harry opened the locket horcrux, that was disturbing. Especially for Ron who had to kill it. It was like a Harry/Hermione shipper dream. Dobby’s death? I sobbed like a baby. D’: Every scene Dobby was in, the audience clapped. Never realized how much he was loved. Ron & Harry’s fight was hard to watch. Poor Hermoine was devastated. But you could see how worn out Ron was. You couldn’t blame him.

from Jeff Gabriel:
    Here’s the review! * Director David Yates, and Producers David Heyman and David Barron were in attendance at the screening. * The current running time for this rough cut was about two and a half hours. * The film contained a temporary soundtrack; the full soundtrack is still being composed and recorded. * A unique and innovative animation tells the story of the Deathly Hallows. * David Barron confirmed that the final split for the film will indeed be when Lord Voldemort takes the Elder Wand from Dumbledore’s grave. * The crew has not yet finalize their choice of composer for the second part of “Deathly Hallows.” * The Seven Potter sequence features Mr. Radcliffe changing, character by character, as the camera pans around the room. He is left in the original clothes of the character, and with their voice. * The film opens on the Minister of Magic speaking to the press, promising the wizarding public safety and protection of their liberties. * This leads into the Dursley’s leaving their home, and Harry being left in the empty Privet Drive house with Hedwig. * Hedwig does die, returning to the chase sequence to defend Harry from Voldemort. * The title card did not contain and “Part One” distinction. * Both Kreacher and Dobby do make an appearance in the film. * The Death Eater meeting is featured, an unshaven Lucius Malfoy shakes below Voldemort’s gaze. * A series of flashbacks and memories are used to tell both the select back story of the Hallows and Horcruxes. Dumbledore, Slughorn, and more were featured in this telling. * The Death Eater chase ranges from highway action with other cars, featuring Hagrid and Harry on the motorbike doing a loop around the ceiling of a tunnel. * Hermione is shown to obliviate her parents, and make out her way out of the house. When she casts the spell, photos on the wall are shown to * Hermione is tortured by Bellatrix at Malfoy Manor, after they are captured by the Snatchers. Quite graphic and jarring. * Umbridge returns. Part of the new Death Eater Ministry which takes over. * Death Eaters crash the wedding. * A new stone statue in the Ministry is created, wizards behind held up by a twisted jumble of muggles. * Madam Maxine is featured at the wedding as well. * Ron’s turn against Harry and Hermione builds throughout the first half, his leaving is very dramatic. * Ministry of Magic is turned into a propaganda factory, with posters, pamphlets, and other anti-Muggle propaganda. * Harry and Hermione dance to Nick Cave’s “The Children.” * Dobby makes a fun, funny, and heartwarming return. Humorous interaction with Kreacher. * The Trio are found by the Death Eaters when Xeno says “Voldemort,” a tabooed word. * When Ron is destroying the Horcrux, Harry and Hermione appear as silver porcelain figures, taunting Ron. The engage in a very sensual kiss, which ignites Ron into destroying the Horcrux.

Source: MuggleNet | The World's #1 Harry Potter Site - Deathly Hallows, Half-Blood Prince, JK Rowling, and much more

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

Good stuff! Looking forward to it, even though it STILL seems to be departing from the book a bit too much. But, I've simply resigned to the fact that it's impossible to remake the books in total into movie form.
    Seems they've combined Xeno scene with the snatcher capture. If so, then the book lets Xeno off easier. Movie version makes him out more a victim/villain, not unlike what happened to Cho in Movie 5.

Eagerly awaiting the eventual animated series in about ten years. (Even the youtube stop-motion animation is a bit painful to watch, though you get what you pay for.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

While I'm not a fan, and I have read the books, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban still remains my favorite - film wise. With every installment since, the build up, the excitement seems all but a balloon pop of a gimmick to get us in theaters, and we leave the theater with just... "It was ok."

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had the good acting, the right suspense, the right chemistry between characters, and the action scenes had a great purpose. Since then, I rather watch The Neverending Story. The fact that the director David Yates doesn't have a great track record, even with him directing the past 2 harry installments seem to get a little better with each aging year but that doesn't say much. This new teaser trailer, Yates better give the diehards & non-diehards what they want... a solid film.

• Rock Star Minion

The movies have to cut out so much, but IMO they cut out too much stuff that seems to be required in the later movies to wrap up loose ends. A particular concept that has been cut is the enigma of "elf magic."
    Spoiler

1. Movie 4 cuts out Winky and the better story of how Barty Jr escapes, and thus there is no need for Dobby, the now-free elf working for wages at Hogwarts.
    2. Movie 5 cut out Sirius's harsh treatment of Kreacher, who, with the appropriate command, helps lead Harry into the trap. Also, no need for Dobby, who tells Harry about the Room For Requirement, a supposedly secret room that hardly anyone knows about. (Also cut out of Movie 4 is a throwaway line that portends the existence of the RFR.) Now, it seems that everyone knows about, and that Voldy likely knows that everyone knows about it. So, should he think one of his horcruxes is in danger of being found?
    3. Movie 6 cuts out that Sirius left Harry the house on Grimmauld Place and Kreacher (whom Harry still holds a grudge), who, with Dobby, helps Harry determine what Draco is up to.
    4. Movie 7 appears to cut out the story of how Voldy uses (and discards) Kreacher to help put the locket in place. How Kreacher escapes would help to understand elf magic (that owner's commands take precedent over all other magic). So, how can Dobby's sudden reappearance since Movie 2 be explained? If he had popped up in past movies when the books noted it, this would not be such a jarring return.

In short, I think the enigma of elf magic should have been preserved in the movies, and that JKR should have insisted upon it, to make Movies 7 easier to wrap up, especially why Dobby helps Harry, and the consequences that follow.
    (Yeah, I do think about this way too much.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

The new TV Spot...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRzCaYenoRE"]YouTube - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 TV Spot 1[/ame]

• Sock Puppet

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    The movies have to cut out so much, but IMO they cut out too much stuff that seems to be required in the later movies to wrap up loose ends. A particular concept that has been cut is the enigma of "elf magic."
    Spoiler

1. Movie 4 cuts out Winky and the better story of how Barty Jr escapes, and thus there is no need for Dobby, the now-free elf working for wages at Hogwarts.
    2. Movie 5 cut out Sirius's harsh treatment of Kreacher, who, with the appropriate command, helps lead Harry into the trap. Also, no need for Dobby, who tells Harry about the Room For Requirement, a supposedly secret room that hardly anyone knows about. (Also cut out of Movie 4 is a throwaway line that portends the existence of the RFR.) Now, it seems that everyone knows about, and that Voldy likely knows that everyone knows about it. So, should he think one of his horcruxes is in danger of being found?
    3. Movie 6 cuts out that Sirius left Harry the house on Grimmauld Place and Kreacher (whom Harry still holds a grudge), who, with Dobby, helps Harry determine what Draco is up to.
    4. Movie 7 appears to cut out the story of how Voldy uses (and discards) Kreacher to help put the locket in place. How Kreacher escapes would help to understand elf magic (that owner's commands take precedent over all other magic). So, how can Dobby's sudden reappearance since Movie 2 be explained? If he had popped up in past movies when the books noted it, this would not be such a jarring return.

In short, I think the enigma of elf magic should have been preserved in the movies, and that JKR should have insisted upon it, to make Movies 7 easier to wrap up, especially why Dobby helps Harry, and the consequences that follow.
    (Yeah, I do think about this way too much.)

I love that you think about it as much as I do, that has been a huge sadness for me is how they never bring up in any of the films anything about Elf Magic. I don't understand with such an important part in Deathly Hallows how they will suddenly explain Elf Magic, or if they wont explain it at all, and just ignore WHY and HOW something can happen.

Its so hard when i see things that I feel are very vital to the story being completely overlooked in the films. I understand that in a film you have to shorten things and keep it moving, but for example in Half Blood Prince, they cut out SO much from the books YET added a scene that was never in the books? I dont understand why they needed to ADD anything when they had soooo much material to choose from.

I am beyond excited to see Deathly Hallows, and It makes me even more excited and happy that all the reviews I've read so far all agree that besides Chamber of Secrets that Deathly Hallows Part 1 follows the book the most. So I'm excited to see that! It feels like it's forever away from when it comes out, I'm suffering haha. I really hope they stick to the book as much as humanly possible.

But anyway... I'll shut up now haha. I just wanted to say , Like you, I think way too much about this

• Disneyland PAP

I've been re-listening to the DH on CD in the car the past week to refresh my memory of the book a few months ahead of the release. The kids have just reached the forest. Like the first reviewer said, the forest does get old quickly; I remember feeling tired going through those sections when I first read the book. So it's cool that WB can get that feedback and do their best to sweeten and tweak the films so they're as good as they can be yet be as close to the books as they feel they can. Looking forward to seeing them finally! And thanks for the new thread update, OP!

• Banned User

The new Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1) Trailer (Sept 22, 2010)
    YouTube - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Trailer 2 Official HD

• My cuties!

I can't wait! The new trailer is awesome!

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    I can't wait! The new trailer is awesome!
    Agreed! And going through the book again reminding me of stuff I'd forgotten only makes seeing appearances of the little moments and returning characters in the trailer that much more exciting. Woo hoo!

• Banned User

new one sheet...

• Infinitized!

No 3D until Part 2, which doesn't bother me one bit...

From the BBC:
    BBC News - Harry Potter 3D release cancelled, says Warner Bros

The studio said it could not complete the 3D conversion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 in time for its 19 November UK and US release date.
    In a statement on Friday, the studio said: "Despite everyone's best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTinkerbell View Post
    But anyway... I'll shut up now haha. I just wanted to say , Like you, I think way too much about this
    You think WE think too much about this?
    Here:
    MuggleNet | The World's #1 Harry Potter Site - Deathly Hallows Movie, The Wizarding World, JK Rowling, and much more

Lots of stuff I hadn't thought of, but they're more about characters, which I hadn't thought as much about.