• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Will "Cars" be the decision maker for a future Disney/Pixar merger?

You know I was just thinking. Most people said that Chicken Little will determine if Disney and Pixar should go their seperate ways or not. But a lot forgot about the next Disney/Pixar film, "Cars". I honestly think this film is what will break the camels back. I have a feeling it will get over more that Chicken Littles $40 mil. But then again, what if it doesn't? I think that the success of "Cars" will be what determines if Disney and Pixar will stay together or seperate. What do you chatters think?

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Will "Cars" be the decision maker for a future Disney/Pixar merger?

The decision has to be made long before Cars comes out (like the end of this year). This is so they can start promoting the next film. If Pixar doesn't have a distributer by Summer 2006, they are going to be in trouble.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

I think a Disney-Pixar deal will be in place, it is going to be less than 50-50 for Disney... I think Disney has accepted that however, Jobs knows that Disney wants more than just the standard distributor deal... I think he might be inclined to give it to Disney provided that Pixar maintains control of sequels... And I agree that the next deal will likely be signed for 3 films...

At this point, I do not see Disney purchasing Pixar and the company merging... Chicken Little did a little too well for that to happen... But it didn't do well enough for Disney not to be interested in keeping the Pixar relationship... You might say we are back to where we where before, however, the ball is in Steve Job's court...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    The decision has to be made long before Cars comes out (like the end of this year). This is so they can start promoting the next film. If Pixar doesn't have a distributer by Summer 2006, they are going to be in trouble.

-Michael
    Note the date and time: I agree with askmike1!

Predictions:
    1. Cars will not be rolled into new agreement (even though that's standard procedure in Hollywood -- but Pixar is not in Hollywood, and, geographically, neither is Disney).
    2. 75/25 profit split in favor of Pixar, with Pixar getting veto power on use of characters. Note that Pixar makes a ton off of continued sales of Pixar merchandise in the Disney parks. Even for movies that are 10 years old! Can any other production company match that? I don't think so.

Alternative: merger, after CapCities is sold at a huge profit to Time/Warner.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• șoș Tom șoș

Predictions:
    *Jobs/Apple continues to ally itself with Disney because it offers a respectable platform for both companies. Both are consumer friendly and I don't see the disolvement of the relationship but I do see alterations because Pixar feels like it has paid the lunch tab and done all the choirs and had none of the romance. It wants new Prada shoes, a new purse, a BMW and a bigger credit card.

• Creative Director

Those within the company believe that a new deal should be announced by the end of this year.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I would like to see what a just Disney film would be like... But I still hope they don't separate.