• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'POTC 4' gets new marketing captain

Disney has taken the unusual step of hiring veteran consultant Valerie Van Galder to handle the marketing of the fourth movie in its flagship film franchise, "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides."

Considering its importance, the move is likely to be perceived in the industry, fairly or not, as a sign that Disney lacks full confidence in marketing chief M.T. Carney, a newcomer to the movie business. Disney has had a tough summer with live-action films, with two of its disappointments -- "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" and "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" -- produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

"She came to the party late," Bruckheimer told THR. "I had two movies that got caught between two regimes, and the movies suffered."

Asked for comment, Disney issued a statement from Carney: "Val was one of the first people I met when I arrived, and in subsequent conversations, I've been impressed with her business savvy and diverse background. I'm thrilled she accepted my invitation to lend her talents on this important franchise. I'm committed to working with her and other innovative professionals as we continue to build out our world-class marketing organization."

The studio declined further comment.

The first two "Pirates" sequels were global blockbusters: 2006's "Dead Man's Chest" made $1.06 billion worldwide, and 2007's "At World's End" made $960 million. "Tides," which opens in May, is expected to do a billion with a marketing spend of north of $60 million.

Bruckheimer wanted an experienced hand to market his next film, and experience is in short supply in Disney's marketing department.

"I think it's a smart move on Disney's part," he said of hiring Van Galder. "She's a seasoned veteran, and she's very smart."
    full article at:
    Disney hires new marketing guru for 'Pirates 4'

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 'POTC 4' gets new marketing captain

Wow. I've been saying that about Disney's marketing department for the last two decades! Glad something is being done and glad Jerry is bold enough to say something.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Not a Crook

Definitely a smart movie. They butchered the marketing for The Sorceror's Apprentice, emphasizing Nicholas Cage until the last minute, then doing an odd about-face and removing him completely from the ads, focusing instead on making the film seem Twilight-lite with magic (and when I say last minute, I mean like the days around the film release). While it'd be hard to screw up marketing the new Pirates film, better to have it in safe hands and start making changes now.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Banned User

$60 Million dollars. That is a huge amount of money. I'm not complaining, but I've always been curious as to how much money they put into advertising. I'm glad they're making a (hopeful) move for the better, and Jerry being bold enough to make statements about it, and not candy coat it.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Great move by Disney. Having someone with experience to handle anything whether be marketing or anything is a great move in the Entertainment industry.

I'll be watching Rotten Tomatoes to see how good the film turns out. The last one was really bad. Let's hope the new one shines a light. It's based on a popular novel, I've heard, so it might actually have a good story this time. You know the set pieces and wallpaper of the story will be good, but what about the story?

• Lightspeed to Endor!

If only they did that for Princess and the Frog, the movie could have done significantly better at the Box Office.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I think the performance of those two Bruckheimer movies, have more to say about Bruckheimers performance, script and choice of actors, than Disney PR.

Bruckheimer had been working on prince of persia for a long time, and the buzz about the movie had been going on for a long time. If the story had been better, it would have done better. And the actor choice was ok, but together it just was as big as disney wanted it to be.

However, I had been skeptical about the buzz about Apprentice from the beginning. Nic Cage was just a bad choice, with little appeal. Bruckheimer should have found someone with more appeal than the bland Cage. And the unknown young stars? Really, they needed someone with a higher profile name.

Bruckheimer needs to look at what he did wrong, rather than blame the pr machine.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The truth of the matter is that Persia and Apprentice were not the heavy hitters as summer movies go. They're marginal family entertainment and the people saw right through that.

BUT.. being the summer, they really could have gotten more viewers than they did and I think Disney's Marketing dept put out really really dull stuff for both those films. I couldn't think of a more boring ad campaign than the ones they did for Prince of Persia.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html