• Banned User

Stephen King’s The Dark Tower

Universal Pictures has finally landed a deal and has Ron Howard to direct the major adaption of the hit novel series, The Dark Tower into a trilogy & television series!

Ron Howard told Deadline:
    "What Peter did was a feat, cinematic history. The approach we’re taking also stands on its own, but it’s driven by the material. I love both, and like what’s going on in TV. With this story, if you dedicated to one medium or another, there’s the horrible risk of cheating material. The scope and scale call for a big screen budget. But if you committed only to films, you’d deny the audience the intimacy and nuance of some of these characters and a lot of cool twists and turns that make for jaw-dropping, compelling television. We’ve put some real time and deep thought into this, and a lot of conversations and analysis from a business standpoint, to get people to believe in this and take this leap with us. I hope audiences respond to it in a way that compels us to keep going after the first year or two of work. It’s fresh territory for me, as a filmmaker."

He's also attached to direct the first season of the television series once the films are done but first, Ron Howard will finish up post-production on The Dilemma, his upcoming comedy starring Vince Vaughn, and then he’ll get to straight work on The Dark Tower.

Sources:
    Ron Howard To Direct Stephen King’s ‘Dark Tower’ Film Trilogy And TV Series MTV Movies Blog
    Universal Lands Stephen King’s ‘The Dark Tower’ And Plans Unprecedented Feature/Network TV Adaptation – Deadline.com
    Last edited by JMora; 09-08-2010 at 03:40 PM.

• Not a Crook

Re: Stephen King’s The Dark Tower

I think Universal is seriously counting their chickens before they're hatched. Lately, attempts to start epic franchises, with plans for multiple movies, have been dead in the water after one or two films. Narnia was dropped by Disney and moved to another studio, The Golden Compass effectively killed the future of its series, etc. I guess I'd rather see them focus on making one good first movie, and worry about turning it into a franchise after it actually succeeds.

(I know that Dark Tower is supposedly really, really good and such, but it wouldn't be the first, or last time a great idea ended up failing as a film.)
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool