Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: 'Alice' makeover for 'Snow White' too...

ORWEN: I am being honest, JerrodDragon, duckling. Sleeping Beauty IS just about the best Disney movie ever made. Just because you can't appreciate it doesn't make it bad. They can remake it as many times as they want to but the original is also a classic that will always remain the best version of all.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Is it on the Top 5 for most Disney fans? It would surprise me for people to like Sleeping Beauty more than the Lion King, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Bambi, Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland and Prince and the Frog.
    The problem with the original Sleeping beauty is besides Maleficent (which they're doing a new movie on) the rest of the characters just don't seem that different from most other Disney Films, but if you watch this one it has the most "slow down time" not much happens in the film compared to most other Disney films and for me these tow problems really make me not care much for the actual movie, just Maleficent.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^Is it on the Top 5 for most Disney fans? It would surprise me for people to like Sleeping Beauty more than the Lion King, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Bambi, Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland and Prince and the Frog.
    The problem with the original Sleeping beauty is besides Maleficent (which they're doing a new movie on) the rest of the characters just don't seem that different from most other Disney Films, but if you watch this one it has the most "slow down time" not much happens in the film compared to most other Disney films and for me these tow problems really make me not care much for the actual movie, just Maleficent.

My feelings about Sleeping Beauty are kind of similar to yours. When Maleficent isn't onscreen, I tend to get a little bored (I do think the animation and design is really stellar work, though). BUT I know an awful lot of girls and ladies who tend to rank Sleeping Beauty as one of their favorites. I've noticed a stronger gender divide for reactions to Sleeping Beauty than to most Disney films, even the other ones starring princesses. Anyway, I think it IS more popular than you think it is.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Sleeping Beauty has a very strong following...that's why Maleficent is being made (for the record, I'm NOT happy that Tim Burton wants to use Angelina Jolie - we need someone on par with Eleanor Audley for this to be a real success, not the tabloid's main squeeze). It is very much a Disney classic, and has two of the most popular female Disney characters ever created. Plus, the animation to come out of that film is potentially the best the studio has ever produced.

I still haven't seen the new Alice. I felt that it was over-merchandised, so I was turned-off to see it. 3 months before it was supposed to be shown, I was ready to see the film, ready to see Johnny Depp in something related to one of my favorite Disney stories...and then Disney just had to go kill it for me. I suppose I'll watch it at some point, but right now I have no desire to.

I'm really hoping that Disney doesn't try to kill every successful property it already has.

IMHO, Snow White's characterization is very, very typical of it's time...and that's not totally a good thing. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and is the only princess to declare that, "someday my prince will come." From a contemporary female viewpoint, she appears to be a pretty big stereotype in many ways...so I'm not totally against Disney toying with a new version, per say. But that means that the film has to be really, really wonderful, because the original is still very much a classic and is the first Disney animated feature. Sounds like they're kinda playing with fire to me, but perhaps they could surprise us. But Burton shouldn't be doing all of these...there needs to be some respect shown to the original classics that made them Disney successes in the first place.

That other film, though? Not gonna see it unless I hear positive reviews.

/\ I don't think Burton is attatched to this project.

• Not here to help

Alice by Burton sucked. Im sure Walt would have hated it aswell. NOT AGAIN PLEASE!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Sleeping Beauty has a very strong following...that's why Maleficent is being made (for the record, I'm NOT happy that Tim Burton wants to use Angelina Jolie - we need someone on par with Eleanor Audley for this to be a real success, not the tabloid's main squeeze).
    With apologies to Ms. Audley, I don't recall her career including an Oscar, a couple of Academy nominations or her ever toplining a few films that made over $100 million worldwide. Jolie is one of the very few women who does, the film will be expensive to produce so you need as many draws as possible. Presumably the new film (should it go forward with Jolie or even Burton directing) will require the lead actress to be seen and not just heard. All of this awaits Woolverton's script to see who'll eventually be onboard.

http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter....exclusive.html
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-30-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Besides the villainess, who is the 2nd popular chracter?
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

New mice chatter here!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for Maleficent - Angelina Jolie's one of my favorite actresses and I think she could pull it off well.

I also heard talk of a Cinderella remake, with Amanda Seyfried playing her - has this been confirmed?

• MargyDisneylandLover

do we really need to ruin another classic with this crap
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

Let's see now......I'm seeing Johnny Depp as the Huntsman, Miley Cyrus as Snow, and Zac Efron as the Prince. Who cares to disagree with me?? Ready...GO!!
    We can't all be stars but we all can twinkle!!
    .................................................. .................................
    You got a name to go with those rippling pectorals??
    .................................................. .................................

• Minion

ORWEN: If you conjur up Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty in your crystal balls there is an article which mentions that it's in the top 30 of most financially successful films of all time. That ought to make it's critics realize they've put their feet in their mouths every time they try and discredit it. It was a movie ahead of its time but it's only boring to those who can't appreciate the amazing charm, classical music and sheer beauty of its art work. I wouldn't expect those who enjoy Rambo type entertainment to appreciate it, though, because those kind of people have a mind set that can't appreciate the delicate sides of life.

• Minion

ORDDU: I'd like to point out that there are MANY fine actors in Hollywood--besides Eleanor Audley--who never got the appreciation they truly deserved and who also never won an oscar. But it doesn't mean she or they were any less deserving. So that argument is rather weak to say the least. She was in ill health even during the creation of Sleeping Beauty and had to be coaxed into going ahead with her voice portrayal of Maleficent. Thank goodness she did so.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I'd like to point out that there are MANY fine actors in Hollywood--besides Eleanor Audley--who never got the appreciation they truly deserved and who also never won an oscar. But it doesn't mean she or they were any less deserving.
    Very true but not the point I was making. Again, the production cost of 'Malificent' will likely not be inexpensive (a period film with alot of CGI and special effects) so the studio will need name/bankable star(s) to help sell it internationally once finished to the media and of course, the public.

Does anyone doubt that this was a big part of why Johnny Depp was in 'Alice in Wonderland' other than to hang around with Tim Burton which he could do for free?

And back to 'Snow White'...
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Besides the villainess, who is the 2nd popular chracter?
    Sleeping Beauty/Aurora/Briar Rose, of course. The female sex loves her (both young and old), and men admire her beauty. One guy said to me that of all the princesses, he felt that she is the most beautiful.

ALIASd, I understand why studios pick certain actors and actresses...however, at the same time, I just don't. The name of the performer doesn't automatically guarantee a great performance or an audience. Look at what's happened to Michael Cera. Audiences are fed up with him, fed up with seeing the same performance/character every time he's in something. He ends up doing Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and actually does something a little different and the movie is really solid, but the film totally tanks. But really great films, that don't necessarily do well at their initial release, do garner a following and the film makes its money later. The films that stand the test of time are the ones that, overall, work.

My mistake about Burton. Is Snow and the Seven even shot at all? Everything I see for it says 2010...hah.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast