Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Re: 'Alice' makeover for 'Snow White' too...

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Their primary concern is that it made a lot of money so they go back to the well where they already found gold and hope to find more...
    This is the problem these days - both in terms of what movie projects are made and in terms of the parks -- the accountants and execs look only at revenue and not assets... If it makes cash now, do it. Don't even think about what that does in 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. Is it still going to pull in money like the great classics or sit rotting on library shelves.

I understand the cash concept, but you have to balance that with having a good asset portfolio -- especially Disney who makes a killing of their legacy.

And they can never forget their most valuable asset -- their reputation.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

On another note, Burton's Alice showed signs of great potential throughout the movie - and then never lived up to that potential. It was as if they got started with the project and got too bored to really put that much passion into it at some point.

(Side note: and by passion, I mean artistic passion - not an Alice love scene with the March Hare)
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• Minion

I'd much rather have Snow and the Seven. Shaolin Monks instead of dwarves are way better then this Twilight crap.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Alice by Burton sucked. Im sure Walt would have hated it aswell. NOT AGAIN PLEASE!
    That's an interesting quoted. Walt pretty much hated his animated feature, although I personally disagree that Burton's Alice sucked.

• former CM

If they have a very good script, they should make it;
    if not, they shouldn't.

Five thoughts:
    1. Disney didn't invent "Snow White." Walt Disney created new versions of classics written by others, and others today may and should do the same.
    2. The voice of Disney's "Snow White" has too much vibrato. It's a little annoying, but it doesn't sound like anyone else, and that's cool. But I might be interested in hearing another actress portray Show White.
    3. Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" was creative and popular, showing that revisiting fairy tales can be worthwhile.
    4. Not everyone has to like everything.
    5. Then again, remember the Rob Lowe/Snow White "Proud Mary" duet at the Oscars?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-03-2010 at 11:13 AM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^so what will this new movie teach us that the old one did not? A remake to me needs to have to have a reason to exist and making money should not always be the reason.

The classic movie was all about (to me) about working. Snow white was always cleaning and and the dwarfs were always mining both worked hard in there own way and back then it was a message for people to know that in one way or another you should work.

I can see this doing what Alice did and just be about nothing more than finding yourself and then beating an Evil (without training or doing anything at all)......I guess if they want to do the same movie twice just in different setting thats ok for some but not for me,

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    The classic movie was all about (to me) about working. Snow white was always cleaning and and the dwarfs were always mining both worked hard in there own way and back then it was a message for people to know that in one way or another you should work.
    Um... the theme of Disney's Snow White isn't that people should work. The message is the power of good over evil: love and kindness triumphing over jealousy and hate.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^your right

Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho
    It's home from work we go

Just whistle while you work
    It won't take long when there's a song to help you get the pay

No theme of working at all in the movie

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^your right

Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho
    It's home from work we go

Just whistle while you work
    It won't take long when there's a song to help you get the pay

No theme of working at all in the movie

Themes a-plenty in Snow White...
    A theme of Snow White is transformation, the symbolic story of a child maturing into a woman.
    -- Marie-Luise Stromer
    Literary analysis: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

The king and queen are thinly disguised parents, and the girl so admired by a father figure, found by chance, is a surrogate daughter. The oedipal jealousy makes the mother wish to get rid of the daughter.
    -- Bruno Bettelheim
    The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales

When comparing both versions of Snow White [Grimm's and Disney's], the accustomed fairy tales symbols are usually included such as magic, a battle between good and evil, marriage, true love, the saving element, and youth versus old. Incorporating all of these components gives you the overall theme of Snow White. So overall the theme of the story would have to be that true love conquers all. When your heart is full of envy and not pride you will be eaten up by your own deformities. Just like the Queen, she could not stand anyone to be better than herself, and that element alone ultimately lead the Queen to her death.
    -- Matt Schupp
    Snow White Differences
    Lots of good, evil, love, hate, hope, truth, innocence, jealousy, envy and rage...

But zip on "work."

"Work" in Snow White is in scenes, plot points, character business and shtick -- not in theme, moral or the message.

Just sayin'.

But hey, if you got citations, please post. Would love to see 'em.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^
    What would the film's themes about the virtues of hard work, solidarity, cheerfulness, and industriousness have meant to a Depression-era audience?

Snow White

Most other sites talk more about envy, true love etc. Guess for me its different since I grew with all these Fairytales I tried to find more of a meaning than true love in all of them but thats just my opinion as are the articles we both posted.

Snow White for me is about showing you the kindness, hard work and a good heart go a lot farther than beauty.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I think you're both right

Stories usually have several themes. That's the great thing about them - they speak to us individually in slightly different ways.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    If they have a very good script, they should make it;

if not, they shouldn't.

Five thoughts:
    1. Disney didn't invent "Snow White." Walt Disney created new versions of classics written by others, and others today may and should do the same.

3. Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" was creative and popular, showing that revisiting fairy tales can be worthwhile.

4. Not everyone has to like everything.

I agree with these! If they can come up with a good script and a strong concept, why shouldn't they retell the story.

People do it to Shakespeare all the time.

Of course there are hits and misses, but let the people with money take the risk!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

I don't want to get myself too hyped for Maleficent since Burton has denied directing it. Looks like it's barely in development hell.

But if it does happen it would be an original take and not a remake like Alice was. The story will take a Wicked type of approach. About Jolie portraying her, I happen to be a huge fan of hers so I would be biased to say she would be perfect for the role lol.

• is poppin' tags

Hmmm... Snow and the Seven sounds horrendous.

However, I'm one of those fairy tale purists who want everything to be lollipops and candycanes. I like the villians to be mean and the damsels to be in distress.

Thinking of a tough/fighting Snow White makes me cringe.

Remember little boys play fight after watching Power Rangers or HeMan? Do we really want all the little wannabe princesses running about slap-boxing in tiaras? Uck.

But if they separated the Snow White character extremely far from the original and just used the plot alone (possibly modern times...she could be a squatter!) I would be interested....but that's really the only way I would be interested in seeing something I can already feel to be a load of tripe.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Inferno's Creation

I am one of the few who loved Alice and thought it as a good represtentation and reimagining of the classic tale but i would have loved it even more if they did the Burton esque flashback scenes of young alice as the whole movie. Since it was (kinda) the first of its kind i hope they learn from the mistakes travelled by alice and make a better film next time. And am i the only one who sees the potential of a burton esqe Malificent turning into a Dragon and fighting the Prince. thats going to be epic no matter what you say. lol
    Times I've been to Disneyland Starting Jan. 2010 - 46 times and counting.
    Before that? I've lost count.....

Favorite Quote from @HaroldSnowman "HAROLD PONDER MEANING OF LIFE. THEN ME GOT SANDWICH. MEANING OF LIFE =SIMPLICITY"

Favorite Quote From @MurphyTDragon "Just heard someone say that WOC blows Fantasmic out of the water. Oh WOC blows alright. It blows big time."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast