Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Happy Memories

Superman Returns

For those of you looking forward to the new Superman film coming out next year, i thought I would pass along this bit of info...

The first official teaser trailer will be available in three formats this week. It will be online by some time Thursday evening, It will be on TV during Thrusday night's episode of Smallville, and it will be in theaters attached to Harry Potter this weekend.

I'm not sure how much, if anything it will show of the actual film since it is only the first teaser, but should still be exciting to get a little tease.

• Launch sequence engaged

Re: Superman Returns

From watching Bryan Singer's production diaries over at the Blue Tights Network, (http://www.bluetights.net/bulletin_list.php) I am looking forward to this movie. (By the way, if you don't feel like watching ALL those diaries, I would suggest the San Diego Comic-Con just for the reaction of the fans when Singer calls Superman Jor-El instead of Kal-El)

Singer did a great job with the X-Men Series, and I hate that we lost him, but I'm glad he's doing Superman!
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Happy Memories

I totally agree. I ahven't watched all of the diaries, but I have checked in from time to time. Even when some things have seemed like odd choices, I have enough faith in Singer to trust his vision.

• Launch sequence engaged

The teaser trailer is now online over at http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

In my opinion, the trailer was very well done (Singer's movies generally have great trailers). I liked the incorporation of Marlon Brando's voice, and I'm pretty sure it was John Williams' score they used.

Either way, I'll be anticipating this movie.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Happy Memories

Wow. I got chills. I really wasn't expecting to see that much in a first teaser, but I liked what I saw. As for the music, since Singer is making it a continuation that picks up after Superman II and is using much of the original production design and Brando of course, I think it's safe to say (and I think read this at some point) that at least some of Williams original themes will be incorporated into the new movie's score. My guess is it will have a score all it's own, but hints of Williams themes will be noticable. Kinda like they have done on Smallville with hints of the Williams theme every time Chris Reeve appeared on the show and I think also when Clark flew at one point.

• Still lost in Neverland

Me too. I got chills watching this one, especially at the end when the music really built up and you saw Superman flying in space. He looks so much like a young Christopher Reeve. This might be one to look forward too. Singers work on the X-Men was fantastic (I heard from someone who was working on the new X-man movie that so far it is crap) that I really have high hopes for this one as well.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by TomorrowlandTourist
    The teaser trailer is now online over at http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

In my opinion, the trailer was very well done (Singer's movies generally have great trailers). I liked the incorporation of Marlon Brando's voice, and I'm pretty sure it was John Williams' score they used.

Either way, I'll be anticipating this movie.
    Whilst I am a huge fan of the first two Superman films, I strongly disagree with approach of this new film. This film negates all the rest of the films after number 2 and picks up with Superman returning after a hiatus in space? Can you say WTF? Why would Superman leave earth for a few years? Its completly out of character.

The Marlon Brando thing was great but ultimatly a huge nail in the coffin of future films which will have to hope he recorded so much extranous dialogue in the ADR booth in the 70's that they can stretch it out or write out Jor-El ASAP!

The score was not the original but was inspired by the first score written by John Williams but John Ottman is leading this effort.

I think the thing they did beautifully was develop the Kent farm and it looks very much like Smallville except he apparently learns to fly as a boy, which I never liked.

All and all this is not the Superman film I have been waiting for since I was a small boy. I think the saving grace of this movie will be Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor who I think we will find will blow the original performance by Gene Hackmen- right out of the water.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    All and all this is not the Superman film I have been waiting for since I was a small boy. I think the saving grace of this movie will be Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor who I think we will find will blow the original performance by Gene Hackmen- right out of the water.
    Let's just hope Kevin Spacey doesn't turn it into his Dr. Evil cameo from Goldmember!

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa
    Let's just hope Kevin Spacey doesn't turn it into his Dr. Evil cameo from Goldmember!
    You doubt Kevin Spacey? That is punishable by death in many countries.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

^Why didn't they pay to see Beyond The Sea then?
    Kevin would have appreciated the support last year....

Anyway, the Superman Returns trailer drew the most applause and audible excitement in the theatres I was in this weekend, even more than KING KONG.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Still lost in Neverland

All the other stuff aside, in the Superman Lexicon of the original comics, there was a Superboy and he wore the costume and flew and had super powers. So putting this in the film is staying true to the original myth which nowdays is more than Smallville is doing. They have the original legend so screwed up now I don't know how they are ever going to straighten it out.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    All the other stuff aside, in the Superman Lexicon of the original comics, there was a Superboy and he wore the costume and flew and had super powers. So putting this in the film is staying true to the original myth which nowdays is more than Smallville is doing. They have the original legend so screwed up now I don't know how they are ever going to straighten it out.
    I would agree, but Superboy was a story actually written much like Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars- written much later but other guys then the creators in a prequil fashion.

I actually have bones of contention with the original story as well. Its the origin of the costume which I never understood. I hate the idea that Martha Kent was somehow able to sow the material from Krypton that Kal-El was wrapped in at birth.

I have always wished to re-tell that part of the story and give the costume far more meaning, because lets face it what farmer boy from Kansas would want to wear a cap? I always thought the costume should have been made or designed to model Kryptonian royal robes and handed down to Clark from his birth Father Jor-El and because the costume is made of fiber from Krypton it has the same tensil strength as Clark's skin and hair, hence the ability to fly so fast without burnining up or lack of holes from gunshots, lasers, or whatver.

I also believe a great orgin story would not involve Lex as the main villian but pit Superman against the Brainiac who would unveil his history much like Ra'j Guel did to Bruce in the recent Batman Begins.

• Happy Memories

According to a recent interview with Singer, the opening titles for the film will be the original Williams theme. Ottman will also be incorporating some of his other themes throughout the film.

As far as picking up after 2 and forgetting about 3 and 4... that's an easy call. Most people consider 3 & 4 to not be very good. I personally hated 3, and 4 while I enjoyed it a small child, is just plain cheesy. Only the first two are really necesary and solid stories. (I believe they were originally written as one film that was cut in half or something or meant to be filmed together. Thus the reason Zod and his sidekicks, who would eventually be the main villains for part 2 were introdeuced in the opening moments of part 1 even though they weren't part of that film at all.)

• Infinitized!

So who is doing the score for this movie? Because the clip during the trailer is from John Williams' "The Planet Krypton" piece from the original soundtrack.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Superman Returns (2006)

Directed by
    Bryan Singer

Original Music byJohn Ottman

John Williams(main theme)
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast