Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Harry Potter GoF - Reviews and Spoilers

Hmm Okay, I will just have to judge it tonight when I go. Thanks for the input, I don't want to scare my daughter. LOL

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

It's hard to die hard Harry fans to see the story lines that have to be cut to make a reasonable length movie.
    I missed Winky and Dobby. I missed the remainder of the Weasley clan. So many things that make the story rich and give us insights to the Harry Potter world.
    I did think they did an amazing job of pulling out the needed storyline for this book.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    Do you think a 6yr old can handle it?
    Sure, but, you might want to tell her beforehand: (major spoiler warning)
    Spoiler
    Voldemort is quite frightening to look at, and he's got a LOT of screentime in this movie. Also, there are a couple scenes that are very intense and even make adults jump from unexpected abrupt moments. The corpse of Cedric is very visible. The most "amorous" scene involves Harry in a large bubblebath and Moaning Myrtle comes into visit and really flirts with him, hoping the bubbles will uncover him.

As long as she goes in prepared, then I think she'll handle it just fine.

• Resident Swing Addict

someone please add a sticky to the top of this post mentioning that spoilers are not being used so they can be cautioned to read at their own risk?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Ok.. I give up.... how do you edit a message or make a message to be blacked out as a spoiler?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by disneydancr
    someone please add a sticky to the top of this post mentioning that spoilers are not being used so they can be cautioned to read at their own risk?
    There have already been alot of spoilers posted openly on the forums- so it may be a moot point.

Oogie- do [spoiler-][/spoiler-] around the paragraph

Remove the "-"s

thanks

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Sure, but, you might want to tell her beforehand: (major spoiler warning)
    Spoiler
    Voldemort is quite frightening to look at, and he's got a LOT of screentime in this movie. Also, there are a couple scenes that are very intense and even make adults jump from unexpected abrupt moments. The corpse of Cedric is very visible. The most "amorous" scene involves Harry in a large bubblebath and Moaning Myrtle comes into visit and really flirts with him, hoping the bubbles will uncover him.

As long as she goes in prepared, then I think she'll handle it just fine.
    Thanks! I have actually read all the books a few times so I know what is going to be included. However, reading it and seeing it are two different things, especially when you are hearing it get a PG13 rating and confirmation on intensity.

• Again! Again! Again!

Re: Harry Potter GoF - Reviews and Spoilers (Warning: OPEN Spoilers!)

I was very happy with how the movie turned out. I didn't think as much "important" stuff was taken out in this movie like there was in Azkaban. All the stuff mentioned by Disneydncr is true, but it doesn't really need to be in there. I liked how they stayed focused on the Tournament and some other things. It's a huge book and it has to stick to the main story. Love it!!

And Goony, by the time you started this thread, I was already waiting in line for 45 minutes! And the trailers in front of the movie were AWESOME!!!! Too bad you didn't see them!

As for kids seeing the movie, I can see why it's PG-13, but it's not much scarier than Star Wars 3. I would say that if your kids are good with that and the other 3 HP's, they should be fine with this. As for the bath, they won't get it. And if they do, they'll think it's funny.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• e komo mai

I saw it today. I loved this film. I think it's the best of the bunch so far.

Spoiler
    I was kind of upset about the Rita Skeeter beetle scene was cut. Maybe it'll be in the extended DVD version.
    I absolutely loved the World Cup in the beginning. It was exactly how I envisioned it.
    No Dursleys this time. But I guess that's okay. Lot of ground to cover with this film.
    I remember in the preview seeing the Death Eaters floating muggles above the crowd when they appeared and destroyed the camp. Does anyone else remember seeing that?
    They could have clued us in that the girl Fleur hung out with was Fleur's sister...
    The maze was okay in my opinion, but I do remember some sort of creature living in there...
    Loved the dragons.
    I loved all the lighthearted moments. Newell knew that they had to be successfully funny to offset the dark moments.
    Maggie Smith was great in this one. I love her.
    I must admit, I cried when his parents showed up. I love that part, in the book and now in the movie...
    If I think of any more to say, I'll post it.
    Thumbs up. Four and a half stars. Loved GOF.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    There have already been alot of spoilers posted openly on the forums- so it may be a moot point.

Oogie- do [spoiler-][/spoiler-] around the paragraph

Remove the "-"s

thanks
    Thank you.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Thank you.
    Also, there is a button at the top of the reply box ( to the right). If you highlight what you want to hide, then click that button, the spolier tags will be inputted at the beginning and end of the highlighted text.

It doesn't appear in the editing box, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Who's your DaddyB?

I was kinda' wishing that:
    Spoiler
    they'd followed the book in that the people came out of Valdemort's wand a little slower in timing... and Harry's dad came out first and talked to him.... and then told him "She's coming Harry" and when his Mom came out, it was a much better build up.
    other than that, I pretty much agree with all the other missing things folks are pointing out.

I liked this movie much better than the last one, but this one was SO rushed and I felt so much was left unexplained... I was left wishing it was a two-parter with a cut right after the gryfendor hall scene after the first Tri-wizard contest.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Okay, so since nobody has really given it a proper review on this thread, and it seems like everybody who HAS said something significant about this has read the book, I thought I would put in my two cents...

First off, I'm more of a Lord of the Rings guy - so only with Prisoner of Azkaban did I get interested in Harry Potter. As a film, Azkaban was great, however, as an adaptation it was mediocre from what I picked up with my skim-through of the book.

I read HP 1-3 AFTER seeing the third film, therefore I've been to every Harry Potter film with a clean slate. Like I said, I was really into LOTR the three years it was in theaters.. I saw the first two films before reading the books, and read Return of the King before seeing the film. In a way, I regretted reading the book prior to seeing the film because I nitpicked the entire film, searched for inaccuracies, and overall just tore the film apart for its differences and injustices to the books, and in the end didnt like the movie until I saw it again and went in watching it as a movie, not the book.
    That helped.

Therefore, I didn't read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire before seeing this movie. I know the first three films have had their fair share of glaring differences from the books - especially with certain things that may not be of significance in that particular movie/book are cut out and end up having a larger role in the next book.

I went into this movie not knowing anything except the vague hints at the plot from the trailers and tv spots.

That being said, as a peice of cinema, this film is fantastic. There is very little down time and you really do lose yourself in the movie. At times, things feel a little rushed while other things (the dragon battle on the roof of Hogwarts) feel too long and unnecessary.

This movie is certainly darker, creepier, and wildly intense at times. It's definately a much more interesting and immersive movie-going experience than the past three films, especially the first two (which I was not a fan of at all).

However, I have major issues with the screenplay. It's weak in places it should be strong.
    Spoiler
    Neville Longbottom's issues with the spell on the spider was lost on me until I asked a friend, I just didnt get it. Also, I found other things confusing as well, such as the whole Barty Crouch and Barty Crouch Jr ordeal - what a messy muddled plotline that the writers could have made stronger and easier to understand with some work.

Also, the climax of the film left me a bit underimpressed... It was good, but somehow just not as climactic as it could have been... IMHO.

There were some other things the film could have been stronger with, but off the top of my head I can't think of it.

I felt like this movie catered much more to fans of the books and those who might not have read the books were lefet out in the cold when somethings came up. Probably not the best move for the movie, but its understandable since the majority of the Potter fanbase have read the books.

In all, fantastic movie, but with a somewhat weak screenplay.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    I was kinda' wishing that:
    Spoiler
    they'd followed the book in that the people came out of Valdemort's wand a little slower in timing... and Harry's dad came out first and talked to him.... and then told him "She's coming Harry" and when his Mom came out, it was a much better build up.
    other than that, I pretty much agree with all the other missing things folks are pointing out.

I liked this movie much better than the last one, but this one was SO rushed and I felt so much was left unexplained... I was left wishing it was a two-parter with a cut right after the gryfendor hall scene after the first Tri-wizard contest.
    Spoiler
    But it was wrong in the book that Harry's dad came out first -- it should have been in order of the most recently killed.

I was THRILLED that they dumped the SPEW stuff -- that was the most annoying part of the book for me.

I'm so glad I didn't reread this book before seeing the movie; I made that mistake with the 3rd one and was really disappointed with it.

Overall, a great movie! The 2 1/2 hours fly by!

• Rock Star Minion

First, that is a great review. I appreciate the thought you put into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    In all, fantastic movie, but with a somewhat weak screenplay.
    This has always been a problem with converting these books to movies, as many different plots intertwine within a book as well as between them. (A quick glance at some of the HP fansites will reveal how complex the books can be, if you think about them hard enough. For example, I just noticed that a Slytherin boy that was mentioned once in Book 1 (during the Sorting Hat chapter) gets a few mentions in Book 6. Why? Maybe something will happen in Book 7?)
    Choosing to dump a plotline in one movie will affect future movies. Choosing to minimize the Weasley Twins in the movies will truly affect Book 5's (and Book 6's, come to think of it) movie. It has already affected this current movie, but their plot with Ludo Bagman was dispensable.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast