Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Harry Potter GoF - Reviews and Spoilers (Warning: OPEN Spoilers!)

Okay, I just saw GoF today and here are my thoughts....

Theater: I saw this movie in a Lowes theater (the smallest one they have their) and it was sold out.

Trailers: Out of all the trailers I saw, only one was good.
    Hoodwinkled- Looks Horrible
    Over the Hedge- Looks even worse
    Monster House- Makes Jimmy Neutron look like a good movie
    Lady in the Water- I have no idea what it's about (but it too looks bad )
    Happy Feet Movie- Do I even have to comment on this?
    Superman Returns- The only good Trailer. It even gave me the chills (although I won't be seeing it)

The Movie: I absolutely loved this movie. It has replaced CoS as my favorite HP movie. The only drawback in this film was that I thought that it would probably be hard to follow if you didn't read the book. I have to disagree that it wouldn't be good for kids under-10. My 7-year old sister saw it and loved it. I think all the deaths went right over her head. I think the only performance that I didn't think was great was Dumbledore's. He is definitely no Richard Hariss. He still had that mean persona he had in PoA. Overall, considering the size of the book, I think they did a great job. I give this movie a 9 out of 10.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Okay, I just saw GoF today and here are my thoughts....

The Movie: I absolutely loved this movie. It has replaced CoS as my favorite HP movie. The only drawback in this film was that I thought that it would probably be hard to follow if you didn't read the book. I have to disagree that it wouldn't be good for kids under-10. My 7-year old sister saw it and loved it. I think all the deaths went right over her head. I think the only performance that I didn't think was great was Dumbledore's. He is definitely no Richard Hariss. He still had that mean persona he had in PoA. Overall, considering the size of the book, I think they did a great job. I give this movie a 9 out of 10.

-Michael
    Better than Chicken Spittle? I'd like to see a Dancing Harry in your sig.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Better than Chicken Spittle? I'd like to see a Dancing Harry in your sig.
    I can't compare HP to CL. One's a G rated animated movie and the other's a PG-13 rated live-action movie.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

Is that you in the avatar, Mike? In those big glasses you remind me of Edith Head at a zany New Years Eve Party at Paramount!

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    Is that you in the avatar, Mike? In those big glasses you remind me of Edith Head at a zany New Years Eve Party at Paramount!
    Yes, that is me in my avatar (the glasses though were edited on).

• Rock Star Minion

I can't compare HP to CL. One's a G rated animated movie and the other's a PG-13 rated live-action movie.
    I believe in you, AM1. You can do it!!
    I notice you give HP a 9 but failed to give CL a number out of 10 in that long "CL reviews" thread. What gives?

Thanks for reviving this thread, too. Lately I've been thinking about seeing it again. I don't normally waste money like this, but I think I'll be happier for it.

As for being able to follow it without reading, I think it would be just as hard to follow without seeing the other films first as well. Either books or films i probably required, as it is a whole series.
    Reading the book (which would normally be done after reading the others) only makes it easier to notice what's missing.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I believe in you, AM1. You can do it!!
    I notice you give HP a 9 but failed to give CL a number out of 10 in that long "CL reviews" thread. What gives?
    I'm not Ebert & Roeper. I don't have a single rating method. Out of 10, I would probably give Chicken Little either an 8.5 or a 9. Any other movies you would like me to rate?

As for being able to follow it without reading, I think it would be just as hard to follow without seeing the other films first as well.
    Yes, that is true. I just felt that because of the length of the book, a lot of the things here were rushed & not fully understandable by people who didn't read the books. For example, the fact that Neville freaked out when Moody did what he did to the bug. They really didn't explain that in the movie. Also, I don't think they really emphasized "Avada Kedavra." Those words hold a lot of meaning in the following books & I think they just glanced over that. But other than moments like that, I think they did a good job with this movie.

• Rock Star Minion

For example, the fact that Neville freaked out when Moody did what he did to the bug. They really didn't explain that in the movie.
    It's things like this that make me want to see the movie again: in the book this is explained by the trip into the Pensieve, but I think the movie cut this scene.
    (DCD Director's Cut, please!!!)
    I guess I can wait until April.

• Just Me

Did anyone else notcie Mr Malfoy starting to say the Avada Kedavra curse (in CoS) at Harry right beofre Dobby steps in?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456