• 2 Wands - Should have only been 1 movie

1 2.13%
  • 1 Wand - It was terrible

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: MiceChat Reviews

Spoiler
    They should have explained the Taboo because in every other film Harry refers to Voldemort by name, but in this movie he says "You Know Who".

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Just got back from seeing it and I can't wait for Part 2 to come out! I agree with what most said here, especially the fact that my boyfriend who hasn't read the books felt out of the loop. He said that having not read the stories he was left with more questions than answers. I told him they will probably be answered in part 2. LOL

• Disneyland PAP

Well, I just watched it and loved it. Like JK Rowling said, "This is my favorite film of the lot." And that's because of all the movies, this one got to fill in a LOT more details and scenes from the book than any of the other films had a chance to do, except maybe the first one. And this film did it really well! I teared up a couple of times in some really moving moments, in fact right from the start! I've read all the posts here and I think the filmmakers did a fine job (a) keeping in as much of the book as they could, (b) making them plausible enough to non-readers and non-HP fan moviegoers, and (c) simply make a compelling yet entertaining film within a two and a half hour time frame. I know, I'm perhaps being too understanding of the filmmakers' challenges, but really, they got a lot right!! As for the ending, I think it's the perfect ending for the movie. I understand the arguments made earlier, but really, I love movie's ending. And I simply trust screenwriter Kloves to give us more explanations to things we're expecting (tho' I'm sure not every single one) and provide a satisfying end in Part II. Hell, his new sequence at the start of the movie that was only mentioned but not shown in the book is what made me cry right off the bat.

• Goofy

it was a great movie with intense and very emotional moments in the movie. i do love the beginning where they start at harry's ex home lol. looking foward to part 2. part 2 will surely have more action .

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Just got back from seeing it and I can't wait for Part 2 to come out! I agree with what most said here, especially the fact that my boyfriend who hasn't read the books felt out of the loop. He said that having not read the stories he was left with more questions than answers. I told him they will probably be answered in part 2. LOL
    One friend I went with who hasn't read the books only had two questions for me right after the movie.

First,
    Spoiler
    how did Dumbledore get the Elder Wand?
    And I said it would be explained in Part II because
    Spoiler
    I can't see them not explaining the battle with Grindelwald

And second,
    Spoiler
    they just dropped in that older brother Bill. Where did he come from?
    And I explained
    Spoiler
    that not only has he been mentioned in the books, but really the wedding is the launching off point for the trio to head into the muggle world. So in order to have the wedding, they needed to bring in the character, in a Reader's Digest version unfortunately

I'm sure she'll have more, but besides those two, she really loved the movie as did her mom and daughter who haven't read the books either.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The movie certainly delivers in pulling on emotions if you've read the books/etc - but the movie really does feel like the cliff notes version. There is just SO MUCH happening in this book to tie the whole story together that I don't know how any screenplay within reasonable length could do it justice.

I kind of felt empty compared to previous HP movies - certainly NOT a film for anyone who hasn't been reading the books. I'm sure you'd be doing a cololosal WTF

The three brothers animation sequence was awesome.

I was going around trying to find where I could watch it in IMAX tonight, but couldn't get advance tickets anywhere. Glad I didn't wait - this one didn't need to be in IMAX.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Goofy

ron and hermione really shine in this movie.

• What Time Taught Us

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The movie certainly delivers in pulling on emotions if you've read the books/etc - but the movie really does feel like the cliff notes version. There is just SO MUCH happening in this book to tie the whole story together that I don't know how any screenplay within reasonable length could do it justice.

I kind of felt empty compared to previous HP movies - certainly NOT a film for anyone who hasn't been reading the books. I'm sure you'd be doing a cololosal WTF

The three brothers animation sequence was awesome.

I was going around trying to find where I could watch it in IMAX tonight, but couldn't get advance tickets anywhere. Glad I didn't wait - this one didn't need to be in IMAX.
    that's interesting because for me personally, this was the ONLY Harry Potter movie that actually made me feel as if I were seeing the book come to life. Not even Prisoner of Azkaban, one of my favorite all time movies period, makes me feel that way. Maybe it's the excitement and newness, but I don't think so. I really think they got it right this time.

I loved how much the film focused on the TRIO and their relationships with each other. The other movies are all so rushed in their attempt to squeeze in as much plot as possible in every second that it was nice to see these slow, intimate moments between them. Ron and Hermione falling asleep holding hands. Ron's fall and redemption (Silver Doe/Horcrux/aftermath was my favorite sequence in the movie). Harry trying to cheer up Hermione with some goofy dancing and just trying to make everything seem okay for one slice of time. Harry and Hermione in Godric's Hallow/parents' graves (my other favorite sequence in the movie, including the terrifying Bathilda Bagshot/Nagini).

There was just so much GOOD in this movie. I was worried about how they would manage to make everyone care about Dobby, and I think what they did worked for the most part. Even though he kind of broke the tension in Malfoy Manor, I didn't mind those small doses of comedy in a movie otherwise drenched in drama/DESPAIR/HORROR/WHYYY. Speaking of Malfoy Manor, it was a bit de-intensified, sure (I was trembling the first time I read it in the book), but it was another brilliant scene, IMO. I liked the subtly in their development of the Malfoy family in this movie. Also, having "mudblood" carved into Hermione's arm was a genius touch, and horrifying.

The actors who played Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the Ministry were also REALLY GOOD. I really believed that they were the Trio in different bodies, although I wish they'd got rid of the goofy "keep our real voices" thing that they did in Chamber of Secrets. I mean, Barty Crouch Jr had Moody's voice, so... yeah.

With that, I can tell that I'm trailing into the things I didn't like so much so I'll go ahead and list those.

1. R.A.B. discovery was rough. I was kind of thrown by the absolute certainty Hermione had when she said "YES." to Ron's query of whether or not Regulus Black was the man/woman. I mean, how does she even KNOW for sure? It was kind of weird and convenient the way his full name was on the door. I know that's how it is in the book, but the fact that Sirius only had his first name on his nameplate made it jump out at me and seem forced. The way everything came together through never-before-mentioned characters (Regulus, Kreacher [for the most part], and Mundugus) was unfortunate. Should have planned it out better in the earlier movies, guys!

2. Dumbledore's backstory not being mentioned, but I'll wait until the next movie to officially make this a "complaint." I'm only hoping that they develop it throughout as a mystery and include Rita's falsified version of the story, rather than having Aberforth info-dump it on everyone at the end and send them on their merry way.

3. Girl who plays Ginny. Sorry, but she's just awkward, and she and Harry have no chemistry. Maybe it's not her fault (whose idea was that shoelace thing in HBP!? and the zipping up the dress??), but honestly I have just trained myself to look away whenever they're onscreen together.

4. Seven Potters. Does the Statute of Secrecy mean nothing anymore? Was it REALLY necessary for them all to mount up in the middle of the street? They couldn't have made a backyard set? And did they REALLY have to fly down in the streets and send cars crashing into each other? Subtle, guys.

And now I want to talk about more the good stuff. The Tale of the Three Brothers animation was incredible, and I liked the decision to only set it to Hermione's voice rather than any music. They captured the fairytale feeling really well (though I still wonder why the heck anyone would read this to their kids as bedtime stories!).

I also really enjoyed how much attention Ron got in this movie. He's one of my favorite characters, but he's always tossed aside and ignored in the movies for the most part. I'm glad he got his chance to shine.

Again, the Bathilda scene. TERRIFYING.

The scene where Hermione goes through the forest and encounters the Snatchers while she's within the protection of the enchantments. The whole time she was ambling through the woods I was going "BAD IDEA. I THOUGHT HERMIONE IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE SMART ONE," but it was a really effective scene nonetheless. Great way to show how the enchantments work.

"The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming." Chills. Although I will take a moment to complain about the inconsistency of Patronuses. do they take the form of animals or not!?

Pretty much every second Bellatrix Lestrange is on screen.

Which reminds me, I loved the way they did the Dark Lord Ascending, from Lucius's hesitance to relinquish his wand, to Draco's regret of getting himself into this, to Bella's insanity (maybe not Snape's too obvious goodness). I don't think they're really capturing Voldemort's evilness though. He doesn't really act all that superior to anyone.

Luna. "Dad, Harry doesn't want to talk to us, he's just too polite to say anything about it." They could have handled her kidnapping a little better though; she and Ollivander seemed perfectly fine hanging out in that huge, well-lit basement.

Ron/Hermione's romance. their little scenes perfect. everything about it was great.

I just loved every second. Even the stuff I mentioned that disappointed me was a short-lived feeling as I was quickly swept into the next moment I loved. I'm kind of dreading Part 2 coming out. I'm not ready for Harry Potter to be completely over in all mediums. Someone hold me. :P

O for Outstanding.
    Last edited by Spy; 11-20-2010 at 10:23 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I discussed this movie with my grandson, Sean yesterday over lunch, and it was an interesting discussion. I, myself, have read all the books a few times. Sean on the other hand has only read about five of them. So he has missed a lot of the backstory. Sean liked the movie a lot. I only give it three wands.

Since Sean is one who doesn't mind being told things he doesn't know first hand, I filled him in on some things. For instance, how Dumbledore got the elder wand. Who exactly cast the doe patronus. We chatted about the parts that we really liked, and the parts we thought were a bit over the top. Sean especially liked the ending. We both agreed that Ron's vision of Harry and Hermione was a bit over the top. Bellatrix is so evil, and her torture tactics were just horrifying. It's nice to know she gets it in the end.

What the movie does, they do very well. I just wish they wouldn't change things. Although the Hedwig scene was better in some ways. I really wanted the scene with Peter Pettigrew at Draco Manor to be exactly as it was in the book. It wasn't. The whole time that Dobby was on screen was absolutely great, and that part was very true to what I read. The scene with Fred and George at the beginning is also an exact quote from the book. I have been wondering one thing quite a lot, and that is why we did not see Harry's cloak even once in this movie, since it has been a big part of movies past.

Hopefully the 2nd part of the movie will include the backstory of Dumbledore, and how he aquired the three parts of the Deathly Hallows. How the three items have been passed down over the years. We definitely need to know more about Snape, and exactly why he does the things that he has done this whole time.

The plot is very complicated when it comes to horcruxes and hallows. I am not sure how all of this is going to play out in the movie, since I still really don't understand all the fine points myself.

I am looking forward to many things. The battle at Hogwarts will be sad, and yet when Bellatrix and Voldemort finally get it in the end, I will be cheering inside if not actually applauding outwardly.

I have heard that the kids will be aged for the epilogue, and I am especially looking forward to that scene.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

It just seems like there is SO MUCH still left for the last movie!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Pilot EdForceOne

NNL agreed. That's the thing about the Deathly Hollows book - it has SO much going on. As others have mentioned, we haven't even really scratched the whole Dumbledore history aspect of the book yet.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    NNL agreed. That's the thing about the Deathly Hollows book - it has SO much going on. As others have mentioned, we haven't even really scratched the whole Dumbledore history aspect of the book yet.
    And i was surprised that so much of that was glossed over or really not mentioned.

I thought this film was pretty good, but I chose 4 wands because I am looking forward to the next part more.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disneyland PAP

I'm still gonna use spoiler tags. Relative to the book, this movie ends within the pages of Chapter
    Spoiler
    Twenty-Four
    , leaving just
    Spoiler
    twelve
    chapters to cover. Remarkable and exciting because NNL's right, there is a lot still to have explained. I agree that Dumbledore history is important, but I'm positive they'll do so, hopefully to our satisfaction. But having seen Part 1, I thought it'd be fun to review the first trailer again. Not only was it fun hunting for scenes that were filmed for Part 2, but it was interesting to see differences in scenes included in Part 1. For example, Hermione's blood-less hands and the brighter lighting in Bagshot's home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hXH0Ackz6w

• My cuties!

That was great to see the full trailer again! Makes me even more excited for July!!

Spoiler
    While I liked how they had Hedwig try to protect Harry and that is how Voldemort knew he was the real Harry, it should have been like the book -- for them to have it be that Harry used his "signature" spell because of how the battle with him and Voldemort ends.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

It's a good movie, not one of my favorites but thats because I liked the second part of the book better than the first (I'm one of the people who do not like the camping scenes that much)
    But overall its still a good movie and much better than most the other crap that comes out today (Resident Evil and the Last Airbender come to mind)
    I really liked how Creepy the snake was, Dobby is awesome, the acting is great, its Dark and the Story of the Deathly Hallow's was done great. No reason for Potter fans not to see this movie.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast