6 12.77%
  • 2 Wands - Should have only been 1 movie

1 2.13%
  • 1 Wand - It was terrible

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: MiceChat Reviews

Midnight Shows of Part 1 started today. What were your thoughts?

• Infinitized!

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: MiceChat Reviews

It'll be interesting to see how many locals will see the movie over the weekend - we just had our first blast of winter so the snow may keep people away from the theaters. Supposed to be snowing all weekend. Having said this, might actually be an ok time to see it, just need to put on the 4x4 and make my way over to the theater.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I liked it better than HP 6.

• My cuties!

Loved it! My only complaint is
    Spoiler
    them not having Dudley's farewell to Harry. It was one of my favorite parts in the book. Loved the animation for telling of the Deathly Hallows. Wonder what people who haven't read the books thought of the piece of mirror since it hasn't been in any of the other movies. July can't come soon enough!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    Spoiler
    them not having Dudley's farewell to Harry. It was one of my favorite parts in the book. Loved the animation for telling of the Deathly Hallows. Wonder what people who haven't read the books thought of the piece of mirror since it hasn't been in any of the other movies. July can't come soon enough!
    Agreed 100% with this. One of my favorite scenes in any of the books, and really ANY book. Maybe we will get an extended DVD/Blu Ray?

• Minion

Spoiler
    Absolutely agree! Definitely one of my few complaints. One other small thing I that confused me:

Spoiler
    How did Harry, Ron, and Hermoine get captured? Unless I missed it, I don't remember any of them saying Voldemort's name and am curious how they plan to explain their capture.

Otherwise, the movie was mostly great. Definitely the slowest film so far, but as the majority of the 7th book is detail driven, that was to be expected and any huge Potter fan like myself wouldn't be bothered by it. If I had not read the books though, I don't think I would have understood half of the movie.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

OK...I'm the first ogre with 3 wands out of 5 basically for the fact that they missed an ENORMOUS opportunity to build the climax up about 400 percent from where they ended.

My main reason:

Spoiler
    They had all kinds of time to set up the fact that Harry was racing against the clock to get to the elder wand. No matter what else you do in that film, you LOSE a huge opportunity if you don't set up the fact that Harry needs to get to Dumbledore's grave before Voldemort. Even if you want to save the other horcruxes for part II, Voldemort's possesion of the elder wand should really look like Harry has already lost. The director/writer (Cloves?) spent so little time on Voldemort pursuing the Elder Wand that when he finally gets it in his hands....so what? Boom. End of Act I. But the ENERGY building to that scene simply wasn't there. We go from a RUSHED scene at Bill and Fleurs to Voldemort already taking the wand. If you really want to BUILD the tension as you make the audience wait for another few months to get to part II, the audience should have felt Harry racing against the clock to PREVENT Voldemort from getting his hands on this all powerful wand. Now...they probably would have had to re-write several sections in order to make that happen, but to simply slap on that ending while we're still grieving over Dobby was just plain weak. I love that they left so much of the book IN, but they simply missed a huge, huge opportunity here in rushing the Elder Wand scene.

I loved many of the effects, and LOVED Elphias Dodge and Whatsherface....the old lady at the wedding. Brilliant casting there. Scrimgeour was mis-cast, IMO. I was looking for more of a mane of hair, and I would have sworn he was supposed to have glasses.

So...I realize that this is just part I, but they really missed a huge opportunity with the ending. Part II will certainly be more satisfying, I'm sure.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I enjoyed the movie, and I do look forward to the series finally being concluded. However, I just voted 3 wands because of what was left out of the movie. Key moments I wanted to see just wern't there. I won't mention them at this time, since the movie hasn't even been out a day yet.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Rides against injustice

Spoiler
    Agreed! I was shocked it wasnt included!
    Overall, I thought it was a very good movie. I didnt have nearly as many gripes (complaints about what was left out vs what made it) with this movie as I have with the previous 6 films.
    One thing I do have to comment on:

Spoiler
    The horcrux scene when the visions of Harry and Hermoine appear before Ron. I knew it was going to be twisted, but wow it was a borderline sex scene!! It was very jarring to see it
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Makes me want to go back and re-read the book.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I absolutely agree with Mac Daddy's appraisal of how the end could have had a lot more tension/climax.cliffhanger...it was just kind of...oh, it's over? OK.

I liked a great deal of the film and what was kept, a lot was excellent, good casting, but overall...it's the first half of a long, long story and so for that, it doesn't have like, a full arch. From here on out it's spoiler time:

Spoiler
    The biggest missed thing I feel was not even showing Harry had any desire or interest in the Hallows. No mention of the invisibility cloak being "different" that he has, no discussion even of the Elder Wand like Mac Daddy said...that would have made the ending a lot more tense and feel like it has stakes.

Another thing I think was missing (too talky I suppose) was Kreacher's tale of Regulus and the locket and the emotional content there, with Harry and the rest feeling bad for him at the end. Humanizes the battle against Voldemort even more, as it were, showing how he treats those who are loyal to him and such and would have made a good emotional, complex bit of interest..but oh well...there's a lot more I could talk about but shall leave it at that for now...

• ...is busy, please hold.

even though it was a part 1 i already feel fully satisfied. and all though certain points were cut or diluted, this is the closest the book has translated to film. this film also has the biggest movie WTF?! moment of the decade.Splendid performances and imagery.the animated segment is a work of art, for a moment you forget you're watching Potter.

4 WANDS RAISED HIGH!!!
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

saw the movie at midnight last night - overall pleased with it, despite certain things that were omitted. Loved the animation sequence for the story of the Deathly Hallows, and I'm very much looking forward to Pt 2 in July =D

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I saw the film this morning at 10:00 AM, and only now did it just strike me that something rather important was supposed to happen at the Malfoy's and...

Spoiler
    IT DIDN'T! Unless I missed it, isn't Wormtail still alive??? His hand was supposed to strangle him when he let Harry out. Maybe Voldemort will kill him in the second part, but Wormtail's hesitation was supposed to be a chink in Voldemort's armor, the idea that there is a flickr of human compassion from someone who was shown mercy earlier. No matter how they re-write that scene, I fail to see how Jo Rowling gave permission for them to change it. Maybe it will make a better film in the long run, but then Jo should have written into the book that way to begin with. I was never crazy about how she killed Wormtail. Perhaps she wasn't crazy about it either?

[QUOTE=kirbilicious;1056338741]Absolutely agree! Definitely one of my few complaints. One other small thing I that confused me:

Spoiler
    How did Harry, Ron, and Hermoine get captured? Unless I missed it, I don't remember any of them saying Voldemort's name and am curious how they plan to explain their capture.

I agree...

Spoiler
    Didn't they just land? What was to keep them from disapparating again? And you're right about no one saying "Voldemort" before they showed up. They didn't even discuss the "taboo"o or whatever it was called by which they would be able to track down the resistance. That part looked a bit sloppy to me.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-19-2010 at 10:28 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I saw the film this morning at 10:00 AM, and only now did it just strike me that something rather important was supposed to happen at the Malfoy's and...

You are correct, that wasn't in there...the character in question just got stunned and left down there as far as the film showed.....that's kind of an oversight, given how it was predicted he'd have a part to play by Dumbledore even later on and it came across in the books that the act allowed Harry to escape that situation as well...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast