• Circle of Ancients

No More Disney Fairy Tales?

The LA Times is reporting that Disney will no longer make "Fairy Tales" into feature length animated films.

Disney: After 'Tangled,' Disney Animation is closing the book on fairy tales - latimes.com

Once upon a time, there was a studio in Burbank that spun classic fairy tales into silver-screen gold.

But now the curtain is falling on "princess movies," which have been a part of Disney Animation's heritage since the 1937 debut of its first feature film, "Snow White." The studio's Wednesday release of "Tangled," a contemporary retelling of the Rapunzel story, will be the last fairy tale produced by Disney's animation group for the foreseeable future.

"Films and genres do run a course," said Pixar Animation Studios chief Ed Catmull, who along with director John Lasseter oversees Disney Animation. "They may come back later because someone has a fresh take on it but we don't have any other musicals or fairy tales lined up." Indeed, Catmull and Lasseter killed two other fairy tale movies that had been in development, "The Snow Queen" and "Jack and the Beanstalk."

To appreciate what a sea change this is for the company, consider that a fairy tale castle is a landmark at Disney theme parks around the world and is embedded in the Walt Disney Pictures logo. Fairy tale characters from Disney's movies populate the parks, drive sales of merchandise and serve as the inspiration for Broadway musicals.

Alas, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Jasmine and the other Disney royals were all born in the 20th century. Now, different kinds of Disney characters are elbowing their way into the megaplexes and toy aisles, including Pixar's "Toy Story" buddies Buzz Lightyear and Woody, Capt. Jack Sparrow from "Pirates of the Caribbean" and a platoon of superheroes from the recent acquisition of Marvel Entertainment.

Over the decades, Disney has benefited from the ticket sales and licensing revenue generated by such princess-driven properties as "The Little Mermaid," "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin." The studio's most recent offering, however, was a clear disappointment. Although critically acclaimed, last year's "The Princess and the Frog" was the most poorly performing of Disney's recent fairy tales.
    More at the link ...

So what are your thoughts? Is this just a natural progression? Are they out of Fairy Tales? Are they abandoning their fan-base?

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: No More Disney Fairy Tales?

They may not do traditional 'fairy tales' anymore but most of the animated features are just re-tellings of basic concepts anyway. Change the characters in "Cars" to unicorns or bears or strawberries, in the end it's pretty much a fairy tale.

Basically, the traditional stories have been done and I suppose it's time to move on. I'm less concerned with where the stories originate than I am with whether or not they'll make a good film out of them. "Tangled" being a perfect example.

I was looking forward to "The Snow Queen", though.

• Banned User

I believe that the LA Times has retracted some--or all--of this statement as being inaccurate.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Clearly, they don't know what they're doing anymore. A corporate PRINCESS EDICT meets Frog Box Office and the result is no more fairy tales? Was it really that easy to defeat the power of the princesses?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The article was refuted yesterday:

A headline in today’s LA Times erroneously reported that the Disney fairy tale is a thing of the past, but I feel it is important to set the record straight that they are alive and well at Disney and continue this week with Tangled, a contemporary retelling of a much loved story. We have a number of projects in development with new twists that audiences will be able to enjoy for many years to come. - Ed Catmull
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1235...post1056340499
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

NO, SAY ISN'T SO!

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

If Princess movies are "girl" movies, and we've been getting those for decades, then isn't it only "fair" that more movies get made geared towards boys? I do think things should be balanced, and more gender neutral movies be made more often to avoid a boys vs. girls war.

I personally never thought of Toy Story as being a "boys" movie. I just though of it as a general young and young at heart movie.

Another question though, why do a lot of people seem to think the ONLY movies for girls are princess stories? Pixar does use male lead characters all of the time, one of these days can they make a good, original non-princess movie starring a girl? I also feel that movies starring girls are too self conscious of the whole "damsel in distress thing" and go over board with the whole "independent kick butt" thing.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, Pixar's first girl centric movie is supposed to be called BRAVE, I think. If they're stlll planning to release that, then another princess is on her way.

ORDDU: The remaining fairy tales yet to be made into movies by Disney are: Jack & the Beanstalk, Hansel & Grettle, Rumpelstiltskin, The Ginger Bread Man, The Princess & the Pea, Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks and The Snow Queen. At least these are the first to come to a witch's mind.

ORWEN: And Disney had been considering making movies out of both The Snow Queen and Jack & the Beanstalk. I really hope they'll reconsider doing these despite their recent comments about shelving both projects.
    Last edited by Witches of Morva; 11-26-2010 at 06:11 AM.

•   
    • Big Al

I just saw Tangled and I must say this is classic Disney animation and storytelling. The film is beautiful to look at and completely entertaining from start to finish. I laughed out loud many times through-out the film. And it's certainly heartwarming to have Alan Menken songs and his rich score where they deserve to be. I feel his touch could have saved Princess and the Frog, having music that made your heart soar as opposed to just your toes tap. If this film (Tangled) doesn't do well financially, then the world has gone mad. This movie IS a Walt Disney Production!

A fairy tale has specific elements. The magic (supernatural object) or religion (supernatural being) aspects are closely connected to the motivations of the characters.

Fantasy stories do not necessarily have to be centuries-old. In fact, I'd very much like to see an original fairy tale conveyed through an oral tradition or a medium more modern. But, considering just how creatively-bankrupt the Disney of today actually is, any poor sap within the organization who thinks he or she can inspire this dinosaur of a company into doing anything artistic or imaginative should realize it is a lost cause.

Walt Disney is dead. He's been dead for a while. And, Michael Eisner, along with his progeny, has made sure the guy has stayed dead.