Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Six Flags "Terminating" most recent attraction licenses

Six Flags is reportedly not renewing most licensing agreements it has made over the past 5 years including The Wiggles, Thomas The Tank, Terminator, Tony Hawk, and Evel Knievel. Rumors are that this could also include eating establishments such as Cold Stone, Papa Johns and Johnny Rockets.

Six Flags amusement parks prepare for thematic makeovers - latimes.com

Wham! Bam! Ka-Pow!

A bruising brawl involving comic-book superheroes, Saturday morning cartoon characters and extreme sports icons will change the ride and roller coaster landscape of Six Flags' 11 U.S. amusement parks in 2011.

An intellectual property housecleaning at the amusement park chain has left Bugs Bunny, Superman and Scooby-Doo victorious and Thomas the Tank Engine, The Wiggles, Evel Knievel and Tony Hawk vanquished.

In a sudden about-face, Six Flags is undoing several licensing agreements established since 2007 for 60 amusement park rides and attractions. The extensive slate of name changes and thematic makeovers are expected to begin in early 2011. The cost-cutting move comes in the wake of a Six Flags management overhaul after the company emerged from bankruptcy earlier this year.

Six Flags will re-theme the Thomas Town kiddie lands, based on the children's television show "Thomas & Friends," as unbranded Whistle Stop Depots, amusement park officials confirmed.

Since 2007, Six Flags has added Thomas Towns at Six Flags Magic Mountain (Valencia), Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (Vallejo), Six Flags New England (Massachusetts), Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags America (Maryland). Six Flags America opened its Thomas Town in June 2010.

Six Flags also plans to de-theme the Tony Hawk Big Spin coasters at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags St. Louis, officials said.
    Screamscape is also reporting that this includes the Terminator coaster at Magic Mountain.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

(11/29/10) In addition to our Superman update below, Screamscape sources have confirmed to us that Terminator Salvation will have the Terminator theme removed and given a new name for the 2011 season.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Six Flags "Terminating" most recent attraction licenses

That is really interesting news. I'm sure it will save Six Flags a lot of money in the long run, but I'm wondering how it will impact the rides and how much money they will be willing to spend to retheme the rides.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, I'm not as worried about the rides as much as the food establishments.

The food at Six Flags was horrid prior to Johnny Rockets, Papa Johns, etc. It was "mediocre" after the changes so I'm hoping it doesn't go back to horrid.

With Terminator, not having to sit through the pre-show (even though it's good) will be nice. Some days you would be backed up in the pre-show and they would be sending 1/2 empty trains. This won't happen now.

With Thomas, I'm wondering if they still have some Looney Tunes props from "Granny's Gran Prix" that they can put back there. Percy's coaster can just go back to Goliath Jr. or be named something else. A different name was hinted at in the video for the new 2011 additions.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Wow.....Six Flags is going to get much worst now even the kinda themed rides are going to become just coasters. Makes me not want to go back to the park but I'm sure most hard core fans go for the thrills and less for theme or environment.

• Circle of Ancients

^ They still hold the DC comics license and I can only see that continuing considering that 2 parks are getting a "Green Lantern" coaster next year.

And of course, Looney Tunes is a Six Flags staple.

• Pilot EdForceOne

wow - what an about face. To turn and burn rather then renegotiate. While I'm not a huge fan of slapping franchises on new attractions, the empty feeling left when they try to remove them almost always is worse.

The need to brand everything is so corrosive - I don't understand it. From sports arenas, etc... all this transition just erodes the brand rather then building one.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    wow - what an about face. To turn and burn rather then renegotiate. While I'm not a huge fan of slapping franchises on new attractions, the empty feeling left when they try to remove them almost always is worse.

The need to brand everything is so corrosive - I don't understand it. From sports arenas, etc... all this transition just erodes the brand rather then building one.

I think this is a good move for Six Flags. They need to find their focus instead of randomly branding anything and everything that comes their way. They don't have a reputation of a "Theme Park" and if they keep the style that they've been in, will never lose it.

Aside from the branding of their kiddie rides, nobody else will care and continue to go to Six Flags for one reason: coasters. It matters not that they have Superman, Batman, Riddler names on them because they do such a poor job theming them to begin with.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I never could figure out what a wooden roller coaster had to do with Terminator in the first place.

• will-o-the-whip

The one brand I'll be sorry to see go will be Thomas Town. Little kids are really into those characters and it was special to see their faces light up in that small area. Changing back to Goliath Jr. and a kiddie train ride will be a huge loss of theme for most kids. I wish they'd rethink this one.... plus the store in the Thomas Town moved a lot of Thomas merchandise when I was there. They won't have that cash anymore with generic product.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I never could figure out what a wooden roller coaster had to do with Terminator in the first place.
    I agree, I think a coaster based on Terminater should be a steel coaster and made to look like its from the future.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

In the end will we see Six Flags DC Comics parks competing with a Disney Marvel Comics park?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    The one brand I'll be sorry to see go will be Thomas Town. Little kids are really into those characters and it was special to see their faces light up in that small area. Changing back to Goliath Jr. and a kiddie train ride will be a huge loss of theme for most kids. I wish they'd rethink this one.... plus the store in the Thomas Town moved a lot of Thomas merchandise when I was there. They won't have that cash anymore with generic product.
    Even on the busiest of days I've never seen Thomas Town even remotely busy. I honestly don't think it will be that big of a loss, and apparently neither does Six Flags.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    In the end will we see Six Flags DC Comics parks competing with a Disney Marvel Comics park?
    Six Flags has had DC for close to 20 years, this is nothing new.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

No but they've been bulking up on the comic book themed rides even as they let go of these other different (distracting) brands and themed properties.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Not really.

Since 2000, the only new "Super Hero" rides have been the Superman Flyers in Georgia and New Jersey, the "Dark Knight" coaster in NJ and now the Green Lanterns for next year (2 of them). They had some Bizarro re-themes, but that's really it.

Some parks have a lot of Super Hero rides like Magic Mountain and Great Adventure, some parks don't have any or very few (Fiesta Texas, Discovery Kingdom).

• Rock Star Minion

It's about the QUALITY of theming. Not just theming. Six Flags had thought (prior management, possibly) that all theming is good theming. "Be as good as Disney...." was probably slapped onto a familiar PowerPoint presentation to these folks by the consultants hired to tell them how to run their business.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast