View Poll Results: What did you think about TRON Legacy?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Bits – Phenomenal! The Flynn abides.

35 35.35%
  • 4 Bits – Awesome! Maybe bring back the TRON tunnel in Tomorrowland?

33 33.33%
  • 3 Bits – Strong enough to stay on the grid.

19 19.19%
  • 2 Bits – “What am I supposed to do?” “Survive”

6 6.06%
  • 1 Bit – This sucker should be derezzed.

6 6.06%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Disneyland PAP

Re: TRON Legacy - MiceChat Reviews (spoilers)

I gave it a 3. I saw RT's poor ratings for it, so I tempered my expectations before going in. The effects are brilliant, it looks better in 3D than I expected, but the story, while intriguing, gets draggy. I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away. I do hope they follow through with sequels; I'm intrigued with where they will go after this.

• I'm not really here

Bold is mine

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    I'm going 3/5, and here's why:

Spoiler

ISOs - Yes, the concept of the ISOs is cool, and I knew about the subplot from the Video Game. However, in the context of the film, they made no ****ing sense. How the hell is there just randomly generated DNA in this machine from the 1980s?

It's not actually DNA. As Kevin called it several times, it's "Digital DNA." DNA is an analogy, a reference to it to help us understand it. It isn't actually DNA, but it is self assembling building blocks that allowed for the spontaneous generation of programs. Our closest analogous thing to this is DNA, so that's what Kevin calls it to aid in understanding. There is no actual DNA involved.

Okay, lets say this subplot did make sense (computer starts to process Kevin's DNA from constant leave/reentry from the portal). Only one issue with it - IT ONLY SERVED THE PURPOSE OF GETTING QUORRA IN THE REAL WORLD. It had no other plot consequences or anything else.

Actually, the ISOs are the reason for the entire plot. It was their appearance that sparked CLU to rebel in the first place. He saw them as a flaw in the system that he was designed to perfect. This set up the ability for Kevin to grow and learn from his own mistakes, set up CLUs hatred of users, etc, etc, etc. Without the ISOs, the plot simply doesn't happen.

CLU tries to take over the world - COME ON! This is where it really did it for me. Yes, I get it - CLU created a perfect system. What's to say his trip through the portal would have even worked? Would his digital ways even work outside of the grid? I thought the only reason why Quorra could go through was her DNA-like structure...etc.

Kevin knew from the get go that programs could get through. That's why the portal was so far away, "to keep stray programs from getting through." He implies several times that it was the goal of interchange and he states that the worlds are far more connected than anyone ever dared to imagine. Again, this part of the plot is set up by the ISOs appearance and CLUs sense of betrayal by Flynn over them. Building the perfect system, feeling like the Grid is a prison and only Users get to come and go.

OMG SAM SHOULD HAVE JUST JUMPED IN THE PORTAL AND KILLED THE CLU PROCESS IN THE REAL WORLD SAVING KEVIN - "killall -9 clu". Instead, Kevin had to 'be the hero', and merge with CLU. At least Sam got a backup - so we can expect more Bridges in the series. (I did like the classic disc on the SIM card)

Of course Kevin had to the be the hero... he has spent 27 years skulking and hiding and doing nothing. He had to redeem himself of that. Besides, Sam didn't really have time to get out and fire off a killall command as CLU was right there and actually got partially in the beam despite Kevin's restraining of him. Had Kevin not done that, CLU would have ended up in the real world.

I did enjoy most of the film. These three parts really bothered me. Clearly there's no care for the computer backstory or anything anymore. That saddens me."

It was there, they just decided, thankfully, to not be blatantly obvious about it. You actually had to grab bits and pieces from across the movie and connect the dots yourself on this one. Far to many movies just tell you everything you need to know without any thought on the part of the viewer.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I left the theater void of emotion, which is actually something I didn't expect. I was expecting to walk out with a very strong feeling of disappointment or a strong feeling of excitement. But I was met with neither.
    It could be because it was 2:30 in the morning.. but I was similar. It was a good MOVIE - but I really felt no great attachment, emotional rush, or obligation to tell my friends to go rush out and see it. It's no Batman. And for these things, I don't think it will sustain momentum through week 2 and 3.

I really think sequels in general now are abusing the 'throw back references'. When abused, they stand out as contrived and out of place. This movie certainly has it's fair share - some cute, some 'come on...'

The bar scene is one of the most enjoyable in the film. Daft Punk's DJ'ing got a few laughs (won't spoil that..).

The 'leave the movie open for sequels' stuff is getting way over abused now too. I think that 'need' really is keeping movies from getting closure in their stories and is impacting the final product. I think you see that in this film. This need is getting in the way of telling a complete story.

onto more spoilerish stuff
    Spoiler
    Yeah the ISO thing totally felt incomplete and 'huh'? The plot line of how the ISOs were going to change everything.. disease.. etc didn't connect for me.. didn't get it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the theory the conflict over the ISOs is why Clu rebeled - vs just trying to execute this program as defined. Maybe he felt the users were imperfect as well or just that Flynn was blocking his ability to execute the program. The scene between Flynn and Clu at the end infers Clu never deviated from his program - just that his program was flawed.

You get the impression the 'take over the other side' spin to Clu comes later.. because the idea they are building an army is a new revelation to Flynn.

The whole TRON goes evil thing fell completely flat on me. That climax to the flying battle scene really was like 'really, thats the best you got?' That element was really weak story wise.

The visuals and audio is really good in the film - and watching it in IMAX 3d is definitely worth it.. even if just for the audio.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I really think sequels in general now are abusing the 'throw back references'. When abused, they stand out as contrived and out of place. This movie certainly has it's fair share - some cute, some 'come on...'
    Really agree with you here. Some of them were awesome... some were just a little too... throw-back-y.

The bar scene is one of the most enjoyable in the film. Daft Punk's DJ'ing got a few laughs (won't spoil that..).
    Absolutely. Just a plain fun and enjoyable scene.

The 'leave the movie open for sequels' stuff is getting way over abused now too. I think that 'need' really is keeping movies from getting closure in their stories and is impacting the final product. I think you see that in this film. This need is getting in the way of telling a complete story.
    Again, totally agree here. There were ways to do it without going the typical route they did.

onto more spoilerish stuff
    Spoiler
    I'm not sure how I feel about the theory the conflict over the ISOs is why Clu rebeled - vs just trying to execute this program as defined.

It's not a theory... Kevin states it as the reason for the rebellion very plainly. I believe the exact quote was, "He saw them as imperfections." Since his entire existence was to build a perfect system, anything that wasn't part of the plan, the design, the intent, had to go. The ISOs showed up all their own... something that Kevin saw as wonderful but CLU saw as a huge imperfection. This is why CLU asks Kevin straight out, "Am I to fulfill my program?" It was him trying to confirm with the Creator if he is still supposed to keep the system perfect.

This comes back at the very end when CLU accuses Kevin of deserting him. They were supposed to build a perfect world together and when CLU tried to fulfill his program, Kevin ran and hid. Kevin apologized to CLU about this. Said that there was no way CLU could have understood what happened and why it was wonderful because Kevin didn't understand it or know it when he created CLU. Admits outright that CLU was simply doing what he was created to do.

So the role of the ISOs as a catalyst for CLUs rebellion is not an idle theory, it is stated outright in the film by multiple characters. It is a central tenant of the plot.

Maybe he felt the users were imperfect as well or just that Flynn was blocking his ability to execute the program. The scene between Flynn and Clu at the end infers Clu never deviated from his program - just that his program was flawed.

Actually, it never says that his program was flawed... it says that his program executed perfectly as it was programmed. It was programmed that way, as Kevin states, because Kevin didn't know any better at the time. He states that perfection is an unattainable goal. It's impossible, yet always staring us in the face. He is accepting the blame for what happened because he created a set of system goals that were not possible to attain and create chaos and hardship because of it.

You get the impression the 'take over the other side' spin to Clu comes later.. because the idea they are building an army is a new revelation to Flynn.

Agreed. This is something that evolves over the many cycles Kevin is trapped in there. And it seems that it took CLU quite some time to figure out how to even pull it off.

The whole TRON goes evil thing fell completely flat on me. That climax to the flying battle scene really was like 'really, thats the best you got?' That element was really weak story wise.

Agreed. It was a really cool idea to have CLU corrupt TRON... but the "redemption" was incredibly weak. There was no appeal to TRON, nothing... it just happened.

The visuals and audio is really good in the film - and watching it in IMAX 3d is definitely worth it.. even if just for the audio.
    Oh the audio was insane. Daft Punk sounded incredible with all that power behind them.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

we should now see how far we can stretch quoting spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Really agree with you here. Some of them were awesome... some were just a little too... throw-back-y.
    The stuff with Bit didn't make sense to me. First... Clu was de-rezzed in the first film before Kevin even gets to the grid. So this is not the same Clu - why they 'reused' Clu I don't quite get. Sure they throw out that acroynmn explanation.. but... don't really like. Second, the throw back is really to Kevin's experience with bit - not Clu. But Clu isn't Kevin - he looks like Kevin, but he is not a clone, he does not know all of Kevin's knowledge or experience.

So maybe it's not a throwback for Clu at all - but seemed kinda odd.

The whole ENCOM stunt thing felt like a mash-up of too many past movies. Does not have the same feel as the break-in from the first movie, even tho I expect its intended to reminiscence that a bit.

Spoiler

It's not a theory... Kevin states it as the reason for the rebellion very plainly. I believe the exact quote was, "He saw them as imperfections." Since his entire existence was to build a perfect system, anything that wasn't part of the plan, the design, the intent, had to go. The ISOs showed up all their own... something that Kevin saw as wonderful but CLU saw as a huge imperfection. This is why CLU asks Kevin straight out, "Am I to fulfill my program?" It was him trying to confirm with the Creator if he is still supposed to keep the system perfect.

That's why I don't say he rebelled - he was executing as designed. He did not go rogue - as much as the plan had 'unintended consequences' and Kevin admits in the end his aspiration itself was flawed.

This comes back at the very end when CLU accuses Kevin of deserting him. They were supposed to build a perfect world together and when CLU tried to fulfill his program, Kevin ran and hid. Kevin apologized to CLU about this

But that doesn't add up in the coupe scene. They infer Clu is willing to kill them there, and this was before the purge. So Clu decides Kevin and Tron are obstacles to be removed BEFORE Clu purges the Isos and BEFORE Kevin goes into hiding. Clu sees Kevin's actions as threatening to his program, and decides (the scene infers willing to kill/remove them) to take them out.. after which he is free to carry on with the rest of his initiative through the purge, etc.

They say they were at odds over the ISOs, but I don't recall them saying Clu was taking action or killing the ISOs that would have forced Kevin into hiding BEFORE the coupe scene.

Admits outright that CLU was simply doing what he was created to do. So the role of the ISOs as a catalyst for CLUs rebellion is not an idle theory, it is stated outright in the film by multiple characters. It is a central tenant of the plot.

What I'm saying is he didn't rebell or change - just that his design was flawed in that it pursed a course that had unintended consequences. Clu didn't snap or get egotistic at that point, he took the course that he was programmed to do. But the actions after that, they play up as Clu's ammo to say the users have abandoned them, and is his rally cry to motivate to turn others against them

Actually, it never says that his program was flawed... it says that his program executed perfectly as it was programmed. It was programmed that way, as Kevin states, because Kevin didn't know any better at the time.

Flawed as in flawed design - not 'bug'. He executed perfectly - but what he was set out to do was based in flawed design. A perfectly good bridge that falls not because of material failure, but because of bad engineering. Same thing here.

Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• King of Los Angeles

Tron Evolution actually explains the purge in a better way. Spoilers below:
    Spoiler
    In Evolution, Clu begins the Isos purge before he takes out Flynn and Tron. There is a virus called Abraxas that evolved from an Isos that is threatening the system, and actually gives CLU reason to start exterminating them. When Flynn speaks out against it, he becomes a threat to the perfect system, and he is actually smuggled out of the city wounded by a badass Isos named Gibson. Of course we later learn that CLU "inspired" Abraxas evolution to set things in motion. I think the context of the missing portion really helped me enjoy the film a bit more.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Great conversation, you guys. Really getting a kick out of it and reading it... it's making me appreciate this movie even more. I liked it doubly the 2nd time around on IMAX 3D. It's just amazing. It still drags in the 2nd half but... it's definitely one to think about.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disneyland PAP

Great conversation, you guys. Really getting a kick out of it and reading it... it's making me appreciate this movie even more. I liked it doubly the 2nd time around on IMAX 3D. It's just amazing. It still drags in the 2nd half but... it's definitely one to think about.
    I agree! There's a lot of passion in this thread for a film that I feel lacks passion ironically but is still entertaining. Reading the comic book prequel TRON: Betrayal was helpful getting a sneak peek at this film's set, but the film recapped a lot of what was shown in the second half of the comic book. But the explanations here that everyone's sounding out on are great to read and enlightening. It shows how inspiring and interesting this world is, and I really do hope Disney actually produces the sequels they're apparently developing. I'm just a little worried that, due to word-of-mouth and reviews, this may not do bring in the box office numbers Disney may have targeted to greenlight sequels.

• King of Los Angeles

There's a lot there when you think about it. I think Cohete said it best when he said it was a really good sci-fi movie. It's not pirates - you rarely laugh, and it's probably not for everyone. However, a good sci-fi movie makes you think about and reflect on society and human nature. On the surface the show is all effect and flash, and the somber tone can be cold and not always fun. But there's a lot there if you start to dig beneath the surface a bit which is why I think it holds up more on subsequent views. Last night was my second time seeing it (first with effects) as I saw an early cut, and I enjoyed it way more.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

What can I say its a good movie, not great not bad. its a 4/5 Movie....it looks and sounds great. It lacks real emotion ties and is confusing to many who have NOT played the Video game or seen the first film. I would say anyone could enjoy this movie but I will be hoping they will have TRON in the next filmm I mean he is a pretty cool character and I miss not having along for the ride.
    SPOILER

Yes Tron is in the film....im no going to say how but TRON is not really Tron in this film so lets hope we see him as a main character in the sequels.

• Banned User

I left the theater void of emotion, which is actually something I didn't expect. I was expecting to walk out with a very strong feeling of disappointment or a strong feeling of excitement. But I was met with neither.

It's not a bad film. It has some great moments. but I think there's something lacking over the entire picture. The whole thing just feels very sad and monotone. I can't really describe it. I mean... I don't know whether or not to return all the toys I bought or to buy more.
    This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the movie. I'm really not sure how I feel about it! I felt nothing! I mean, I know I really liked it but I also feel that something was missing and it could have been better. I feel it was over hyped, and it's really sad for me to have to admit that because I was really, really excited about this movie. The visual effects, soundtrack, costuming, and actors were all phenomenal... but I don't know, something about the movie itself just didn't seem to work the way I thought it would. I'm still confused about my feelings towards it.

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy View Post
    This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the movie. I'm really not sure how I feel about it! I felt nothing! I mean, I know I really liked it but I also feel that something was missing and it could have been better. I feel it was over hyped, and it's really sad for me to have to admit that because I was really, really excited about this movie. The visual effects, soundtrack, costuming, and actors were all phenomenal... but I don't know, something about the movie itself just didn't seem to work the way I thought it would. I'm still confused about my feelings towards it.
    I really didn't like the movie, which wasn't a surprise to me (just not my cup of tea). But I get what you mean about feeling confused. One of the things I had trouble with was understanding the why of everything that was happening. What would happen (outside the grid) if they didn't succeed in whatever they wee trying to do? I think understanding this would have made me care more about the characters and the movie.

Also, I wasn't that impressed with the visuals. They were spectacularly rendered, but I felt like once we saw the first few scenes of the grid, there wasn't a lot of surprises ( design wise). The designs felt like fresh updates to the original, but I guess I was looking for something a bit more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejo View Post
    I hated the original TRON, (yeah, I'm that old!) so I'm not sure if I'd actually pay to see the new TRON or wait until it came out on DVD @ the Redbox!
    This movie is visually stunning i would not wait for the DVD. Its actually a very good movie and keeps you entertained till the end

• Infinitized!

I'm late in the game. I actually haven't even seen Tangled yet (hopefully on Sunday after work). Want to watch the original TRON before I see the sequel, and hopefully the crowds will be less later next week.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Everyone, I just want to clarify that my initial thoughts being void of emotion no longer apply. This, while not the greatest film ever, will stay within me as one of my guilty pleasures that I will love always, much like Dick Tracy.

I've seen it twice already and really wanna go again. Other movies I've seen twice in the theater this year: Toy Story 3, Tangled.

All starts with T!!!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast