Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Banned User

Re: Summer at the movies 2011

Came across a fun article, and surely what everyone who loves to compare sizes will wonder...?
    Who will top the summer box office?

Summer 2011 Box Office Predictions
    TUESDAY, APRIL 26, 2011

Thanks to sequels, remakes, and adaptations Summer of 2011 might have to be called the year of the extremely long movie title. I made predictions for the top ten highest grossing films of the summer and of those 6 are sequels, 3 are comic book adaptations, and 1 is an original concept. Despite the fact that there are some major high-profile films coming out this summer, I am not predicting that any will earn over $400 million like Toy Story 3 managed to do last year. In 2010 four films had opening weekends higher than $100 million, but that was a bit of a fluke. The popularity of 3-D films is declining, the number of bankable franchises is decreasing, and summer is becoming less and less the cinematic peak season with two of the top five films in 2010 and 2009 coming from the Spring or Fall.

Nevertheless, there will still always be the wonderful communal experience of escaping to an air-conditioned cinema to avoid the heat of the summer and enjoying the latest and greatest in mindless entertainment. Here are the movies that I predict will perform the best in the summer of 2011:

1) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II – July 15
    Opening: $139 million | Overall: $339 million

Only two of the seven previous Harry Potter films have broken $300 million at the Box Office and the highest earning film in the series was the first which earned $317 million. So why am I predicting that the eighth film and the second part of a two-film series will be the highest grossing film of the summer? The biggest reason is the built-up anticipation. By ending Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I rather ambiguously and carefully not releasing too many details about movie number 8, Warner Bros. has successfully made this the most anticipated film of the summer for wizards and muggles alike. The Facebook page has over 21 million fans, which is nearly twice as many as any other summer movie according to BoxOffice.com.

This Potter film also has one money-earning benefit that no other film in the franchise had: 3-D. Like it or hate it, the inflated ticket price to see this film through poorly tinted glasses will add to the already enormous revenues. For the first time in franchise history, this Summer will belong to Harry Potter.

2) Transformers: Dark of the Moon – July 1
    Opening: $103 million | Overall: $324 million

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was the highest grossing film of summer 2009 despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews. I suspect that the third film in the franchise will be equally critic-proof and prove to be one of the biggest success stories of the summer. Say what you will about Michael Bay, but he knows how to appeal to the masses with the right amount of CGI and cardboard acting to provide some surface-level escapism. Even movie-goers who respect the art of cinema can get some laughs at how self-aware and unapologetic Bay seems to be about being a complete tool. I don’t see any way that this film’s earnings will not be somehow affected by the negative reception of its predecessor, but with promises of more CGI, explosions, and robot crunching sound design this should be another strong year for these robots in disguise.

3) Cars 2 – June 24
    Opening: $84 million | Overall: $306 million

Last summer I underestimated Pixar’s Toy Story 3 and it ended up coming out on top as the highest grossing film of the summer. I intend not to make the same mistake twice. Depending on the quality of this film, which I don’t anticipate will be nearly as high as Toy Story 3, this could turn out to be the surprise movie of the summer with legs that carry it to multiple weekends of high grosses. The original Cars is not the most respected film in Pixar’s arsenal, but it has actually earned the highest amount for the animation studio when merchandising is factored in. Cars is like the kids version of The Fast and the Furious where children eagerly anticipate the latest designs of the fast moving toys. I have probably over-inflated the expectations of this film, but there is a magic three letter phrase I have learned in my years as a movie-writer: Never. Underestimate. Pixar.

4) Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides – May 20
    Opening: $81 million | Overall: $274 million

Last year it was a fluke that four films opened with over $100 million (two in the summer). There could be a marketing surge that propels this film to becoming the third of this year to open higher than $100 million, but I suspect that my 80s range estimate might actually be a little high. I can’t fight the feeling that this series suffers from franchise fatigue, even though it has been 4 years since the release of the previous film. Pirates 3 barely broke $300 million and grossed over $100 million less than the second Pirates film. Sequels will continue to be made until Johnny Depp finally says enough is enough, but as long as the Box Office receipts are pouring in, this will continue to be a bankable Disney franchise.

5) The Hangover, Part II – May 26
    Opening: $64 million | Overall: $262 million

The previous Hangover film earned $277 million despite the fact that it had very little name recognition and a very typical marketing campaign. This time around there is enormous name recognition and huge anticipation, which should allow it to easily surpass its predecessor in the opening weekend gross column. However, it may struggle to get up to the high overall mark set by the first Hangover, largely due to steep competition. On the other hand it could just as easily do what the original did and show strong legs propelling it to come from behind victories several weekends into its release. That ability is largely dependent on quality.

6) Kung Fu Panda 2 – May 26
    Opening: $58 million | Overall: $229 million

This movie has the disadvantage of opening opposite The Hangover, Part II and the weekend after Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides opens, which will fight for the family audience. It does have the benefit of a long memorial weekend, which should help its overall numbers. It also has that enormous family audience to rely on, which has proven to be the most bankable demographic as of late with animated films like Hop, Rango, and Rio dominating the year so far. Dreamworks will never quite be able to compete with Pixar, but lately films like Monsters vs. Aliens and the Shrek franchise have been sneaking into the top ten grossing films of the year and this sequel should be no different.

7) Green Lantern – June 17
    Opening: $48 million | Overall: $197 million

It was very difficult to decide which superhero movie to rank the highest as they all have about equal opportunity for success and will largely depend on their quality, which we don’t know yet (but we can kind of guess). Despite the fact that this year is the summer of Marvel, I’m actually selecting a DC franchise to beat out the rest of the films. Green Lantern has one of the most recognizable stars at the helm with Ryan Reynolds who may help some husbands convince their wives to see it (“honey, it’s got the guy from The Proposal“). It will also be released in 3D and IMAX 3D, which will inflate its earnings somewhat.

8) Captain America: The First Avenger – July 22
    Opening: $47 million | Overall: $192 million

I was tempted to put Captain America higher than The Green Lantern because I suspect if I were to conduct a random survey Captain America would have slightly more people anticipating it. However, with a release date at the end of July I have no doubt that superhero fatigue is going to have set in. It will for sure bring in the comic-book audience (and Scott Pilgrim proved how reliable they are) and plenty of other superhero movie fans, but it will no doubt be negatively affected if Thor, The Green Lantern, and X-Men: First Class all are not well-received.

9) Thor – May 6
    Opening: $56 million | Overall: $187 million

Thor has the advantage of being the first film released in May, which will bring out those who religiously follow the movie calendar as their obligatory first summer movie. With Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins in the cast, it has recognizable stars and early reviews have said it is actually not terrible, but Thor is not an established enough superhero amongst the mainstream to be able to count on a lengthy theatrical run.

10) Super 8 – June 10
    Opening: $41 million | Overall: $182 million

There is always room for at least one original concept film in the summer Box Office and J.J. Abrams’ Super 8 should do the trick. The key for an original movie to succeed amongst Summer films with huge name recognition is quality and movies like The Hangover and Inception had great reviews to accompany their Box Office numbers. I suspect this film could be one of the best of the bunch, but if it is terrible then it will not make the cut no matter how many times they flash Steven Spielberg’s name in the TV spots.

Movies That Could Sneak In:

X-Men: First Class – June 3
    Mr. Popper’s Penguins – June 17
    Cowboys & Aliens – July 29
    The Smurfs – July 29
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes – August 5
    What do you think of these predictions? Too high or low? Did I over or underestimate any movies?
    Source: Summer 2011 Box Office Predictions | Film Misery

First, I'm sure Super 8 will make more then $40 million on opening weekend, and given the track record of Transformers... Original opened with $70,502,384 ($ource: Transformers (2007) - Box Office Mojo), and the sequel had a opening weekend of $108,966,307 ($ource: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - Box Office Mojo & made $100 million more in total world-wide gross then original).

As for the last pirates, At World's End opened with $114,732,820 ($ource: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) - Box Office Mojo but still made less then part 2). Then you have Potter, with the final part 1 opened with $125,017,372 ($ource: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=harrypotter7.htm) made $20 million more in total then the previous sequel.

The gamble on these 3 titans. I'm betting on Transformers 3, given that trailer is the trailer that ends all trailers. Along with wowing everybody, even the haters. When I saw Fast 5, Car 2 got no response, and even groans. Thor, got no response, Captain America got some 'Cools,' Super 8 got some 'Interesting' but for Transformers 3. Heard a lot of OMG's, Wow's, and 'Holy ****s' =)
    Last edited by JMora; 04-30-2011 at 05:57 PM.

• Banned User

Wow, bring on Fast 6 because Fast 5 was not only the best since the original but it broke box office records...

Box Office: 'Fast Five' races to front of pack, ignites summer ticket sales [Updated]

May 1, 2011 | 9:23 am

Out of the starting gate, summer's first big-budget studio tent pole, "Fast Five," was able to ignite major ticket sales at the box office for the first time this year.

The fifth film in the high-speed car-racing series broke all sorts of records this weekend, grossing $83.6 million. That marks the biggest opening weekend for any film this year by far, blowing away "Rio's" $39.2 debut last month. It's also the best opening of any film in the "Fast and Furious" franchise, whose fourth film brought in $71 million on its premiere in 2009.

The other two new films that opened in wide release this weekend failed to rev up impressive ticket sales. Few moviegoers bought tickets to "Prom," which grossed a weak $5 million. The animated sequel "Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil" also fared poorly, opening to far less than 2005's "Hoodwinked," with a soft $4.1-million take.
    Heading into the weekend, the major question in the movie industry was whether or not "Fast Five" would be able to buck this year's box-office trend, which has so far reflected a depressed marketplace. Even though pre-release audience surveys had indicated that the film could gross over $75 million on its first weekend in theaters, the movie's distributor, Universal Pictures, cautiously estimated a $60-million opening. Now the movie has helped pushed the box office out of its slump, with ticket sales up 52% this weekend as compared with the same weekend last year.

"Fast Five's" strong debut is welcome news for Universal, which is banking on the continued success of one of its only franchises. The studio spent at least $170 million to produce the movie, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to discuss the film's budget. A Universal spokeswoman said the actual cost was $125 million.

The studio made a number of changes to the "Fast" franchise with its latest film, namely switching its genre from a pure underground-racing movie to a heist film. The movie reunites stars from all four "Fast" movies, including Paul Walker and Vin Diesel, and introduces newcomer Dwayne Johnson. "Fast Five" also has a different international setting, taking place in Rio de Janeiro.

The movie attracted a slightly larger contingent of males -- 56% -- and as with the previous "Fast" films, it was especially popular with Latinos and African Americans. Those who saw the film loved it, giving it an average grade of A, according to market research firm CinemaScore.

The movie also did well overseas. "Fast Five" opened in 14 foreign markets this weekend, collecting $45.3 million and bringing its international tally to $81.4 million. The film took the No. 1 spot in 10 countries, but performed best in Russia, where it collected $11.5 million, and Germany, where it made $10.2 million.

"Prom," the first film to be put into production by Walt Disney Studios Chairman Rich Ross, did not resonate as strongly with audiences. The coming-of-age story featuring a cast of unknown young actors was aimed squarely at teenage girls. The movie succeeded in attracting young females -- 82% of the crowd were women, and 66% were under 18 -- but not in the numbers the studio had hoped.

If there's any upside for Disney after a slow opening weekend, it's that the movie was inexpensive to produce -- it had a budget of about $8 million. And word of mouth on the film may not be terrible, as those who saw it gave it an average grade of B-plus.

"Hoodwinked Too!" received that same audience-rating but was also only able to attract a specific demographic. An overwhelming 71% of the audience was under the age of 12.

After the film's poor opening weekend, it seems unlikely that "Hoodwinked Too!" will be able to replicate the success of its 2005 predecessor, "Hoodwinked!" which collected $110 million worldwide. The moderately budgeted movie, which was financed by Weinstein Co. along with animation company Kanbar Entertainment, was likely overshadowed this weekend by two other family films still in theaters, "Rio" and "Hop."

"Rio," which took the No. 1 spot at the box office over the last two weekends, continued to do well, adding $14.4 million to its total, which now stands at $103.6 million.

Ahead of its U.S. release next weekend, meanwhile, "Thor" has already found much success overseas. The film about a Norse god grossed a very good $83 million in 56 foreign markets this weekend, bringing its international total to $93 million. The movie did best in Britain and Ireland, where it collected $9 million, and in France, where it made $8.1 million.

In limited release, Warner Herzog's 3-D documentary "Cave of Forgotten Dreams," opened in five theaters and grossed $127,500 for a solid per-theater average of $25,500.

[Updated at 9:56 a.m.: Also in limited release, "Dylan Dog: Dead of the Night," starring Brandon Routh, grossed a soft $884,625 in 875 theaters.

Here are the top 10 movies at the domestic box office, with foreign grosses where available, according to studio estimates and Hollywood.com:
    1. "Fast Five" (Universal): Opened to $83.6 million. $45.3 million in 14 foreign markets. International total: $81.4 million.

2. "Rio" (20th Century Fox): $14.4 million in its third weekend, down 45%. Domestic total: $103.6 million. $31.7 million in 67 foreign markets. International total: $263.1 million.

3. "Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family" (Lionsgate): $10.1 million in its second weekend, down 60%. Domestic total: $41.1 million.

4. "Water for Elephants" (20th Century Fox): $9.1 million in its second weekend, down 46%. Domestic total: $32.3 million. $4.7 million in 23 foreign markets. International total: $8.2 million.

5. "Prom" (Disney): Opened to $5 million.

6. "Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil" (Weinstein Co./Kanbar): Opened to $4.1 million.

7. "Soul Surfer" (Sony/FilmDistrict): $3.3 million in its fourth weekend, down 39%. Domestic total: $33.8 million.

8. "Insidious" (FilmDistrict): $2.7 million in its fifth weekend, down 48%. Domestic total: $48.3 million.

9. "Hop" (Universal/Relativity): $2.6 million in its fifth weekend, down 79%. Domestic total: $105.3 million. $5.7 million in 53 foreign markets. International total: $58.4 million.

10. "Source Code" (Summit/Vendome): $2.5 million in its fifth weekend, down 50%. Domestic total: $48.9 million.]
    and to think, 30% of the film was also in subtitles. These two have another reason to dance...
    Last edited by JMora; 05-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.

• Banned User

There can only be 1 and it isn't this 1. The dreadfully uninspiring remake!

• Circle of Ancients

Regarding the predictions ... I honestly think the prediction for Pirates is too high. Nobody in our household is anticipating the movie, and will most likely be waiting for DVD ... and we are "Disney people". And I know we aren't the only ones.

Marvel may be kicking themselves in the butt this week for not having Captain America coming out instead of Thor. If Captain America was coming out this week, it would probably break all kinds of records (due to the resurgence of patriotism the past few days since OBL got killed).

I agree that Harry Potter will most likely be #1, I'd put CARS2 at #2 if I'm being honest, followed by Transformers, Kung Fu Panda and then Pirates.

Movie Of summer 2011 are as under:
    1. Fast and Furious 5
    2. Green Lantern.
    3. 2011.
    4. X-Men:First Class.
    5. Kung Fu Panda 2.

• Banned User

Saw Hangover 2 or X-Men last night, you might had seen the new trailer for...

This is starting to look really good.

PS
    Little Hollywood fun, spot 2 cameo's of King Kong???

• Banned User

Not so big numbers for the new X-Men film...
    Friday Report: 'X-Men: First Class' Gets Tripped Up

by Brandon Gray
    X-Men: First Class
    June 4, 2011

On Friday, Wolverine's absence was felt as X-Men: First Class's attendance hit a franchise low in its debut. The Hangover Part II crashed after a wild opening, while Kung Fu Panda 2 didn't save face.

X-Men: First Class squeaked by with a passable estimated $21 million on approximately 6,900 screens at 3,641 locations, but it's looking more like the fanboy fantasia it sounded like when first announced than something that will advance the franchise. Sure, the first X-Men movie opened to nearly $21 million, but $21 million in 2011 is not the same as $21 million in 2000. X-Men's start was the equivalent of over $30 million adjusted for ticket price inflation. More telling, though, is that First Class was a sizable step down from X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which made $34.4 million on its opening day, and it was even less than The Incredible Hulk's $21.5 million.

Included in X-Men: First Class's gross was its $3.37 million midnight launch. That was encouraging because it was more than Thor's $3.25 million midnight, but First Class turned out to be more front-loaded. Thor's Friday opening ended up at $25.5 million (en route to a $65.7 million weekend). The debut of another fanboy fantasia, Watchmen, could be a better comparison to First Class: Both movies had exceptionally high results in Box Office Mojo's "when will you see it" polling that didn't equal correspondingly high grosses.

X-Men: First Class's opening reiterates the danger of rebooting a still prominent franchise without a clean break and the passage of a lot of time (Wolverine was just two years ago). While wanting to restart things after the quality issues of Wolverine and X-Men: The Last Stand was understandable, First Class was just a Wolverine-less prequel. First Class's marketing, which sent mixed messages by including references to the previous movies, didn't go into the movie's actual story. It merely focused on seeing what the X-Men were like when they were young and the brewing disagreement between Professor X and Magneto, which was already covered in the previous movies. That First Class still made $21 million on its first day could be seen as a sign of the franchise's popularity.

Trajectory: If First Class is like similar titles, its Friday gross points to a weekend close to $54 million.

The Hangover Part II tumbled 65 percent Friday-to-Friday to an estimated $10.5 million. The percentage drop was almost as bad as Sex and the City 2's at the same point, and, of course, was much steeper than the first Hangover's 38 percent fall. Since Wednesday, Hangover Part II has been making less or about the same amount as its predecessor, though its cumulative gross was nearly twice as much at $164.9 million in nine days, ranking as the 26th highest-grossing nine-day opening of all time (and second to The Matrix Reloaded among R-rated movies).

Kung Fu Panda 2 didn't take the same beating as Hangover Part II, but it was still battered in its second Friday. Retreating 52 percent, the animated sequel generated an estimated $6.3 million, increasing its sum to $82.4 million in nine days. The percentage drop was more extreme than Madagascar (42 percent) and any Shrek movie at the same post-Memorial Day point. The first Kung Fu Panda was down nearly 51 percent in its second Friday (which was a week later on the calendar), though it pulled in $10 million and had a much higher total.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    continued its descent: off 53 percent, the supernatural swashbuckler grabbed an estimated $5.1 million for a $177.3 million tally in 15 days. Bridesmaids, on the other hand, delivered another stellar hold. The comedy eased 23 percent to an estimated $3.6 million, increasing its sum to $98.7 million in 22 days. It will cross the $100 million mark on Saturday, and its Universal Pictures stable mate, Fast Five, will pass the $200 million line on Saturday as well.
    Source: Friday Report: 'X-Men: First Class' Gets Tripped Up - Box Office Mojo

• Banned User

New...

• Banned User

Can't believe they killed a Smurf...

• Banned User

NEW

• Banned User

Comic-Con 2010 Cowboys & Aliens Panel