Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Summer at the movies 2011

UPDATED - X-Men (Trailer)
    ------------------------------------

I hate winter time, and I don't like the short days. Other then those two main complaints. I can't wait for the sweaty heat, long days, and summer at the movies. It's been a while since we had a action punch summer with high profile films back to back for just about almost every weekend. I can't even think of the last good summer at the movies when I actually went to the movies every single weekend doing the summer.

Summer 2011 is shaping up to be a crowded summer of tent pole films, and not so boring like 2010 summer. A few titles we have heard, some have come out of no where, and few we have been anticipating for a while now. Summer at the cinemas always seems to kick off in May, sometimes April but any time around Memorial weekend is always a sure thing. For 2011, summer season kicks off early, and here's why.

It's going to be a packed slate of anticipated sequels this summer. Warner Bros. surprise hit The Hangover will be back, but far away from the Vegas strip this time. People will all scream again for Scream 4. Then we have the giant robots like Transformers which out grossed the original in world-wide gross but failed to win over critics in 2009. Potter will show off his magic big wonder stick for the last time. Disney has the one-two punch of Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Pixar's Cars 2.

It ain't no summer lately without superheroes, which will have a strong presence on the big screen this summer. The X-Men franchise will return to the beginning of Professor X's career with X-Men: First Class with a new batch mutants but who cares? Marvel Studios’ Thor, which is helmed by British actor/director Kenneth Branagh, and Captain America: The First Avenger, starring Chris Evans in the title role, will be released in May and July, respectively.

Apr 15

Scream 4
    (Directed by Wes Craven. Starring David Arquette, Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox.)

Apr 29
    Fast Five Directed by Justin Lin. Starring Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel, Paul Walker.

May 6

Thor
    (Directed by Kenneth Branagh. Starring Natalie Portman, Chris Hemsworth, Kat Dennings.)

May 20

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    (Directed by Rob Marshall. Starring Johnny Depp, Ian McShane, Penélope Cruz.)

May 26

The Hangover 2
    (Directed by Todd Phillips. With Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms, Liam Neeson.)

May 27

Kung Fu Panda 2
    (Directed by Jennifer Yuh. Starring Angelina Jolie, Gary Oldman, Lucy Liu.)

June 2011

Jun 3

X-Men: First Class
    (Directed by Matthew Vaughn. Starring Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose Byrne.)
    http://youtu.be/rlmK3Q-Z3rk?hd=1

Jun 10

Super 8
    (Directed by J.J. Abrams. Starring Elle Fanning, Noah Emmerich, Amanda Michalka.)

Jun 17

Green Lantern
    (Directed by Martin Campbell. Starring Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard.)

Jun 24

Cars 2
    (Directed by John Lasseter, Brad Lewis. Starring Jason Isaacs, Owen Wilson, Michael Caine.)

July 2011

Jul 1

Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    (Directed by Michael Bay. Starring Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.)

Jul 15

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II
    (Directed by David Yates. Starring Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe, Bonnie Wright.)

Winnie the Pooh
    (Directed by Stephen J. Anderson, Don Hall. With Jim Cummings, Craig Ferguson, John Cleese, Tom Kenny.)

Jul 22

Captain America: The First Avenger
    (Directed by Joe Johnston. Starring Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Hugo Weaving.)

Jul 29

Cowboys and Aliens
    (Directed by Jon Favreau. Starring Olivia Wilde, Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig.)

August 2011

Aug 3

The Smurfs 3D
    (Directed by Raja Gosnell. Starring Neil Patrick Harris, Sofía Vergara, Jayma Mays.)

Aug 5
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Aug 19

Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World
    (Directed by Robert Rodriguez, starring the entire Cortez family (except the wife) Antonio Banderas, Alexa Vega, Daryl Sabara, Jeremy Piven, & Danny Trejo. With new comer Jessica Alba)

Jessica Alba with Daryl Sabara walking behind her. A trailer won't be seen till Spring.

Fright Night
    (remake - Directed by Craig Gillespie. Starring Colin Farrell, David Tennant, Christopher Mintz-Plasse.)

Conan 3D
    (aka Conan the Barbarian - Directed by Marcus Nispel. Starring Ron Perlman, Rose McGowan, Rachel Nichols.)

Aug 26

Final Destination 5
    (Directed by Steven Quale. Starring Emma Bell, Nicholas D'Agosto, David Koechner.)

A lot of choices, huh? My top picks are Scream 4, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Hangover 2, Super 8 (a must), of course Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Cowboys and Aliens, Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World (I enjoyed the trilogy), and Fright Night (just to see Colin Farrell get naked =)

Think it's no brainier, Hollywood is going to keep an eye on the box office track of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides VS. Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest grossed a whopping billion dollars world-wide but Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End saw a decline not just world-wide but domestically but all together still made a hefty $960+ world-wide gross.

The Transformers seems to be in the same boat (sorta), after the huge success of the original, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen did out perform the original by grossing over $836 million compared to little over $707 million (Transformers) despite exit reviews. With Transformers: Dark of the Moon, while many disapproved of the sequel, many are still going see the 3quel no doubt . These two franchises are defiantly going to be neck to neck. Its does have the 4th July weekend going for it. Team Transformers here!

Oh, forgot about the other huge franchise, the boy & his magic stick, Potter. Who will have the Gold, the Silver, and the Bronze?

Last edited by JMora; 04-21-2011 at 08:55 PM.

• Infinitized!

Re: Summer at the movies 2011

Definitely a much more movie filled summer than this last one. Same goes for 2012.

• Banned User

New Scream 4 Trailer

Last edited by JMora; 01-21-2011 at 02:32 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yeah last summer only Inception and Toy Story looked good...this year we have Winnie the Pooh, Thor/Captain America, Cowboys and Aliens, Ku Fu Panda, Harry Potter, Hangover 2 and a new Pirates and cars (lets hope both are good)

• secure all cargo

The trailer for Thor looks great, but I'm still cautious because Kenneth Branagh also directed Frankenstein which was way too over the top for me, and Thor looks like it has the potential to go that way. Will wait to see how the reviews are.

Will have to see Harry Potter 8 simply because I'm so invested in the franchise, and Cars 2 simply because it's Pixar.

I will see Pirates, though I was underwhelmed by the trailer.

Really looking forward to Cowboys and Aliens.

• Banned User

Rise of the Apes directed by Rupert Wyatt, starring James Franco, Tom Felton, and Freida Pinto has been pushed to November 2011.
    Rise of the Apes Pushed Back

Rise of the Apes taken off summer line-up.

By Jarrod Sarafin January 15, 2011
    Source: 20th Century Fox

Caesar (Roddy McDowall) in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes(1973).
    © Fox

With 20th Century Fox announcement that Ridley Scott's Alien prequel has been changed into an original story called Prometheus, the studio has shifted some of their upcoming releases around to new dates. One of the most prominent projects amongst the release shuffling that falls within our genre is their Caesar: Rise of the Apes, a prequel to the blockbuster franchise Planet of the Apes. The Rupert Wyatt-directed adventure is being taken off the studio's summer line-up (June 24) and pushed back to a Thanksgiving-focused premiere of November 23. 2011.

The new date has it opening the same day as Sony's 3D animated tale Arthur Christmas, Walt Disney's The Muppets and Warner Bros. Pictures' comedy Project X. It's also just five days after the November 18th premiere of Summit Entertainment's The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I and Warner Bros. Pictures' Happy Feet 2 (in 3D).

"Caesar" stars James Franco, John Lithgow, Freida Pinto, Andy Serkis, Brian Cox, Tom Felton and David Oyelowo. Wyatt helmed the production based on a screenplay by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa.

Plot Concept: The story is an origin story set in present day San Francisco, with the film being described as a reality-based cautionary tale, a science fiction/science fact blend, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

• Banned User

Speaking of summer movie updates, photos have surfaced for X-Men: First Class, and it looks more b-rated then anything else. I understand it's the origins of the X-Men, I read the comic books. But way does look so cheaply made?

Say hello to the X-Men cast: (Left to right) Michael Fassbender as Magneto, Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert, January Jones as Emma Frost, Jason Flemyng as Azazel, Nicholas Hoult as Beast, Lucas Till as Havoc, Zoe Kravitz as Angel Salvadore, Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, and James McAvoy as Charles Xavier.

This a British film?

Mmm, no!

Source: http://collider.com/matthew-vaughn-x...terview/72143/

• Banned User

Look like there's still a whole bunch of love for Transfomers but its a close race with Caption America. EW did a poll, which movie Super Bowl TV ad are you most looking forward too?

As a few minutes ago...

I guess Pirates isn't on everyone's top list...

Jan 20 2011 11:10 AM ET
    'Captain America,' 'Transformers 3,' 'Super 8,' and other big movies will have Super Bowl ads: Which are you most excited for?

by Darren Franich

Image Credit: Paramount; Jay Maidment/Marvel Studios

Question: What’s more American than the Super Bowl?

Answer: A handsome buff dude wearing an American flag and fighting Nazis, of course! Which means this year’s Super Bowl telecast on Feb. 6 will feature the most patriotic commercial in TV history. (Sorry, Daisy.) According to the Hollywood Reporter, Captain America: The First Avenger will debut its first official trailer during the Super Bowl. But that’s not the only big movie that will be prominently featured on the most-watched program of the year. Fellow Marvel superhero Thor will also appear, along with a threequel (Transformers: Dark of the Moon), a fourquel (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides), a pair of gonzo westerns (Cowboys & Aliens and Rango), and J.J. Abrams’ latest mystery project Super 8. And also Limitless, the Robert De Niro/Bradley Cooper magical-drug project. (One of these things: Not like the others!)

Movie trailers are one of my favorite parts of the Super Bowl, second only to beer commercials. (The football can be fun, too.) Personally, I’m most excited to finally get an extended peek at the Captain America movie. But which of these trailers are you most excited about, PopWatchers? Take the Super Bowl Movie Preview poll after the jump… 'Captain America,' 'Transformers 3,' 'Super 8,' and other big movies will have Super Bowl ads: Which are you most excited for? | PopWatch | EW.com
    Source/Poll: 'Captain America,' 'Transformers 3,' 'Super 8,' and other big movies will have Super Bowl ads: Which are you most excited for? | PopWatch | EW.com
    Last edited by JMora; 01-26-2011 at 01:38 PM.

• Banned User

I added the Super Bowl spot for C.A. but I have to say this is really the only reason why I will see it on the big screen...

He certainly got bigger since Fantastic Four.

• secure all cargo

Trailer #2 for Thor is even better than the 1st.

• Circle of Ancients

The trailer for "Battle for Los Angeles" looked better than any of the other ones on Super Bowl Sunday. And that's out next month!!!

• Banned User

New Fast Five trailer has dropped today. The Rock Vs Vin Diesel, and with a mission of freakin'-sanity? This new installment looks very entertaining & fun.

• Banned User

Well, now it's back on the summer list for a late August release. Rise of the Apes stars James Franco as a scientist whose experiments to cure Alzheimer's Disease results in the genetic manipulation of an ape named Caesar (Andy Serkis), which ultimately leads to the downfall of humanity.

Source: Rise of the Apes Moves Back to Summer

While I really didn't enjoy Tim Burton's vision but one great thing came from it. This...

Just wish Paul Oakenfold did the entire score =)
    Last edited by JMora; 03-24-2011 at 07:55 PM.

• secure all cargo

Super 8 trailer looks interesting. It looks like old-school Spielberg from the 70's and 80's.

• Greetings, Program!

The Green Lantern trailer in the OP is a fan-made trailer, albeit one of the better ones.

The actual version, starring Ryan Reynolds in place of Nathan Fillion, is widely available.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast