• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Unnecessary Animated Disney Sequals

I don't know about you but i'm not a very big fan of the sequals that Disney makes for it's masterpieces. So far, they have made Cinderella II, Peter Pan II, Lady and the Tramp II, 101 Dalmations II, The Jugle Book II, The Rescures Down Under, The Little Mermaid II, Beauty and the Beast II & III, Aladdin II & III, The Lion King II & II 1/2, Pocahontas II, The Hunchback II, Mulan II, Tarzan II, Atlantis II, Lilo and Stitch II, and in my opinion, I thought only five of those were pretty descent.

Now I've heard of a whole new breed coming out soon. Kronk's new groove is okay, that's not really what i'm mad over. The thing I am mad over are the sequals over loveable Disney classics. Bambi II comes out this febraury, now Bambi was one of Walt's absolute favorites, they shouldn't build upon it, I believe the story is fine the way they had left it.
    The Aristocats II comes out in 2007, I just don't now why on earth they would want to make a sequal to this film. Cinderella III, okay, III, that just about says it for me. The first is the one that sky rocketed Disney off the endangered list, it doesnt help just to make a whole trilogy out of it.And lastly, The Fox and the Hound II. This is one of myb favorite Disney films, who can forget the loveable duo of Kurt Russel and Mickey Rooney. I cannot see the duo of Reba McEntire and Patrick Swayze, that just ruins it for me. I dont know, everyone has their different opinions on most of these straight to DVD features, I personally dont like the seqauls. How do you feel about these sequals and the newer ones coming soon?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Unnecessary Animated Disney Sequals

They're not going to rest until they release Snow White XXXMCIII and Sleeping Beauty XXMMMCIV.

Only sequel I liked was Rescuers Down Under because it was basically a whole new movie which had a theatrical release and was done by the regular feature animation. The sequels these days are all direct to video and the animation looks worse than a Saturday morning cartoon.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Mickeys Christmas Carol played right before The Rescuers Down Under when it was still in theatres didn't it?

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Mickeys Christmas Carol played right before The Rescuers Down Under when it was still in theatres didn't it?
    Close. When I was a kid I saw and early '80s re-release of "The Rescuers" largely because "Mickey's Christmas Carol" was new and paired with it.

"The Rescuers Down Under" was released with "The Prince and the Pauper".

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    How do you feel about these sequals and the newer ones coming soon?
    I haven't liked any of them. Wrong, I tell you. Why rehash the same old story. Get an original idea, for crying out loud!

• nothing like the sun

Rescuers Down Under was good, because the premise still had storytelling potential, and it's not like the first one ended on a note that forbade them from going any further. Plus I kind of had a crush on the Aussie rat. (Hey, I was nine at the time.)

It may not have been necessary, but Mulan II wasn't that bad. It held my interest, at least. Plus Mark Moseley gets props for his dead-on Eddie Murphy impersonation. But I can't believe I didn't realize that Su was Amy Wong from Futurama until the end.

As for "totally unnecessary," my vote goes to Little Mermaid II. Why? WHY? And since I haven't actually seen Cinderella II, I still can pretend it doesn't exist.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    I haven't liked any of them. Wrong, I tell you. Why rehash the same old story. Get an original idea, for crying out loud!
    Disney does not like to make any new ideas anymore remember? I mean once it became to watered down with corporate politics, it pretty much sufficated the creativity.

• Huh?

We should cut Bambi some slack... after all, the Bambi sequel is based on the actual sequel book to Bambi. We're not exactly dealing with a cheap way of getting more cash out of the character... mostly.

But, either way, at least they're using a literary source this time and not going through a son/daughter of a character plotline again.
    -Tim

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Walt Disney Quote. " I've never believed in doing sequels. I didn't want to waste the time I have doing a sequel; I'd rather be using that time doing something new and different. It goes back to when they wanted me to do more with pigs."

Makes you really wonder. What if Mr Disney had lived a lot longer than he did.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Huh?

But Walt would give in every time the people demanded a sequel -- while you can't top pigs with pigs, he did try to top it with pigs and little red riding hood.

Don't forget about other Walt-era sequels, such as Son of Flubber and Monkey's Uncle.

Walt would meet demand when demand was made known. He may not like it as much as doing something completely original, but if there was demand in something that he could take in a new direction, I'm sure he'd go for it. Rescuers Down Under and Toy Story 2 are two sequels I'm sure he'd very much enjoy. It's the rehash movies (i.e. Lady & the Tramp 2, Little Mermaid 2) that he'd hate the most.
    -Tim

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I honestly though Rescuers down under was done quite well and I was shocked when I found out it was a sequel....I was very young back then.

• Launch sequence engaged

^^That's a very good point, the re-hash sequels just spit on the previous legacies of the original movies. There is absolutely no charm in the mindless sequels that have NO musical numbers, and not to mention that the animation on Sponge Bob Square Pants looks better than what you see in the sequels.

Unfortunately, it is a syndrome that all of Hollywood suffers from, and will continue to suffer from. Dreamworks seems to enjoy making all of their films into sequels, regardless of their success. Of course, Shrek 2 smashed the box office wide open, which means Dreamworks has the go ahead to make whatever sequel they wish.

To be honest, although Disney is moving into CGI animation, I'm just thrilled that they are finally beginning to have original ideas again. Sure, maybe Chicken Little may not have been the best movie, but it was an idea that had a bit of originality.

In conclusion, Disney Sequels ARE unnecessary.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson