Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robots!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Robin Williams is great, but I don't think he can carry the whole movie on his back!

He did a good job with Aladin and Aladin and the King of Theives.

Rember how he didn't do the voice for Genie in Return of Jafar and it didn't do as well. Which is why They wanted him back for King of Theives

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by monorail_rider
    He did a good job with Aladin and Aladin and the King of Theives.

Rember how he didn't do the voice for Genie in Return of Jafar and it didn't do as well. Which is why They wanted him back for King of Theives
    He was great as a supporting character, but if the movie would have been about the Genie, I don't know. I like Robin Williams a lot, but he's like Jim Carey, use him to spice it up a little bit, but too much and it tastes a little over-seasoned!

•   
    • Minion

Too bad guys, cuz I am totally at this movie...

Blue Sky are likely to be hungry for a chunk of the Animation pie... Since they don't do that many features, they will be looking for something... Plus they have an Oscar for a short...

So don't you frett... Pixar and DWA are going to be watching too...
    Check out my other blog:

• Happy Memories

I actually enjoyed Ice Age a lot. It surprised me because I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Ray Romano just annoys the crap out of me most of the time, but I even liked him in Ice Age.

Robots looks to be at least as good. My only problem with it so far is the over use of celebrity voices. I hate this trend that animated films have to lean on the box office draw of any well known actor they can hire. I mean, do we really need yet another toon voiced by Robin Williams?! From what I can tell, he's just doing the exact same, here I am schizo Robin schtick he does with every animated character. It was great for Genie, but do we really need to hear the same character with a different drawing over and over again?

• Doing it with a flair

I can wait till DVD which reminds me...Incredibles next week!
    Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
    I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
    ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

• Minion

I just looked at metacritic.com's website and there are 7 reviews listed so far ranging from The Hollywood Reporter, Daily Variety, Time and Entertainment Weekly. The lowest score at 50 to 80. Appears the film has a lot going for it but there were gripes about story, characters and the lack of emotional attachment to them.

• Que que no-tu-rah.

I'm not at all interested in this movie. If I ever see it, it will be on HBO.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

•   
    • Minion

Well, I saw it, I liked it... There are part of it where the comic action was too fast paced, but it is typical New York "Rags to Riches" story... But I caught myself laughing at it, and I didn't think it was too bad... I would give it 4 stars... Which is better than Sharks Tale (2 1/2 stars)

Blue Sky did a good job of it I think...
    Check out my other blog:

• Old Timer

I too gave it a 4 1/2 stars and I really enjoyed the film, my 11 year old son loved it.

Its nice to see other animation films than Dreamworks or Pixar.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• IZTUAZU!!!

It looked great on my IMAX Screen. Story could've been better but the gags were great. It's easy to tell that Blue Sky is mimicing Pixar sometimes.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by J.B.Opie
    It looked great on my IMAX Screen. Story could've been better but the gags were great. It's easy to tell that Blue Sky is mimicing Pixar sometimes.
    I am just curious to know what you mean by Mimicing... other than Aunt Fanny's body shape...

What struck me about the piece was a "post-Marxist" theme - where captialism leads to a revolution of sorts... ("Fill a need.") I thought that was interesting. But, like I said, it is a New York tale....
    Check out my other blog:

• IZTUAZU!!!

I mean that Blue Sky is trying to imitate Pixar. For example, in the credits, Blue Sky displayed a list of whose animators' kids were born during production. Pixar does the same thing in their credits.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by J.B.Opie
    I mean that Blue Sky is trying to imitate Pixar. For example, in the credits, Blue Sky displayed a list of whose animators' kids were born during production. Pixar does the same thing in their credits.
    Well, I am not going to fault them for that...

It may be that this is what they feel the architecture of the credits are going...

You know it is hard to believe that only 25 years ago credits where in the front of a film... I am glad everyone took George Lucas' lead on this.
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Interesting to note something... Reviewers on the East Coast gave this movie positive reviews, on the West Coast they didn't... Fancy that?
    Check out my other blog:

• A Little Rabid

The first time I saw cut out stands for this movie, it looked really silly. I thought it was from the same folks who did Veggie Tales... Big Idea, I believe. Anyways, I was expected to see some sort of three year old market.

But what's this? Ewan McGregor's lending his voice talent for that? Couldn't he have just waited for Pixar to get a hold of him (as another movie blog pointed out)? And Robin Williams too? Gee, I dunno fellas, he was the Genie after all and failed in Fern Gully voicing that bat. Despite the dreamy Ewan lending and altering his voice for the movie, I'll wait this one out.

I do like the style. If the style catches my eye, I will want to see it. There was a lot of eye candy. The colors are bright. The chracters look wlecoming and friendly. But as is with Shark Tale, I do get that vibe that it's another parody of other things such as pop culture with a muted theme.
    I lurk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12