• out & about

Narnia to be as big as LotR?... Eisner says so!

We all love LotR! And im pretty sure we all agree that Narnia will be the blockbuster Disney/Iger needs... but to say Narnia will be bigger than LotR sounds kinda CRAZY. Saying that Narnia will be bigger than LotR is like saying that Narnia will be as big as Star Wars (SW & GL haters aside). I think the movie will be good but I doubt it will develop into something as big, profitable or cultish as LotR or Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey News
    Former Disney Corporation chief executive Michael Eisner predicts the Disney film The Chronicals of Narnia - The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe which was filmed in New Zealand will be as big worldwide as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which was also made here.
    Eisner was speaking to ASB Business from New York ahead of a his first visit to New Zealand in February to speak at the global world leaders conference.

He says the New Zealand film industry is obviously very positive.

Eisner says Narnia, which he has seen, is spectacularly beautiful as is New Zealand and is going to be as big an event worldwide as The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

The film, an adaptation of CS Lewis' literary classic, is released next month.

Eisner ruled the Disney kingdom for just over 20 years.

It was a reign that saw Disney's revenues climb from $1.7 billion to more than $30 billion. In the process he became one of the most powerful men in US business.

Before he became the head of Disney he had had a dazzling career at ABC TV and Paramount Pictures.

He says when he joined Disney in 1984, he attracted very good executives, some of whom he knew from Paramount Pictures and some who came from Warner Brothers. He says he also recognised the value of the brand and was an ideas person.

Eisner says the acquisition of ABC and ESPN was the largest acquisition in American history at the time and while a lot of people thought Disney was stretching itself with the move, it was up there among the best acquisitions made in the last century.

But Eisner's last few years with Disney were not the happiest.

Walt Disney's nephew Roy Disney led a shareholder revolt against Eisner as he was unhappy with the company's performance and direction in 2003/04.

As a result Eisner stepped down as chairman last year and as chief executive last month.

So was the battle with Roy Disney difficult for Eisner and the company?

He say it didn't bother him, the company came out of it, and is now doing extremely well.
    the orignal article can be found here...
    http://www.mickeynews.com/News/Displ..._E_11215Eisner
    Last edited by WRDup; 11-21-2005 at 12:54 PM.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Minion

Re: Narnia to be as big as LotR?... Eisner says so!

Eisner says Narnia, which he has seen, is spectacularly beautiful as is New Zealand and is going to be as big an event worldwide as The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
    Someone is wispering into Ceasar's ear...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

How do you know it will not be as big as LotR? This is a story that has been around for a long time and I think it has the potential to be as big as LotR. You have to keep in mind that this movie brings in a whole new audience that Star Wars and LotR didn't necessarily have....the Christian audience(see Passion of the Christ). Keep in mind also that this is a movie that a LOT of people will not know is really a Christian story and MILLIONS of people will go and see it and love it for what they think it is. So, don't count this movie out just yet. Let the box office receipts speak for themselves!

• far, far away from DL

I don't think it will be that big, but will do very well in the box office. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Sabrina

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I dont think so, but lets see what happens

• Infinitized!

Well there are 7 books in the series so it should give Harry Potter some competition if they make all 7 into movies.

I heard that Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series is being developed for the big screen.

Even though Disney only made The Black Cauldron, I wouldn't mind seeing a live action version of the Chronicles of Prydain series.

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by neuhickman79
    How do you know it will not be as big as LotR? This is a story that has been around for a long time and I think it has the potential to be as big as LotR. You have to keep in mind that this movie brings in a whole new audience that Star Wars and LotR didn't necessarily have....the Christian audience(see Passion of the Christ). Keep in mind also that this is a movie that a LOT of people will not know is really a Christian story and MILLIONS of people will go and see it and love it for what they think it is. So, don't count this movie out just yet. Let the box office receipts speak for themselves!
    Heres the thing... I think a lot of christians like Star Wars and LotR because they have underlying truths that coincide with christian philosophy. I think these movies teach welll the difference between right and wrong, good vs evil and the consequences of each. They teach unselfishness and love and charity. they teach about helping one another and standing up for the greater cause. Narnia will likely go in the same direction, however...

What Im talking about is not how much it makes at the box office. What im talking baout is more than weekend figures. Im talking cultural phenoms. People everywhere are crazy about S.W. & they same can be said about LotR (althoug on a slightly smaller scale). SW changed the world, LotR complimented well what SW started (as far as huge huge huge huge movies). Narnia will be good, no doubt about that. Im excited to see but the events surrounding SW & LOTR i feel are special and otherwise unattainable.

But well see...
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• They wanna know, HO!

LoTR did so well because of one reason: geeks.

'nuff said
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I'm seeing it mainly because it was filmed in New Zealand....oh New Zealand!

E Ihowā Atua,
    O ngā iwi mātou rā
    Āta whakarongona;
    Me aroha noa
    Kia hua ko te pai;
    Kia tau tō atawhai;
    Manaakitia mai
    Aotearoa

And now in English!

God of nations at Thy feet,
    In the bonds of love we meet,
    Hear our voices, we entreat,