• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

AMPAS Oscar-nominated Animated Feature Symposium 2/24

Oscar-nominated Animated Feature Symposium

Moderated by animator and animation historian Tom Sito

The Animated Feature Symposium celebrates the work of the 2010 Oscar nominees in the Animated Feature Film category. The nominees (schedules permitting) will discuss their films’ development and their creative processes as well as present clips illustrating their techniques.

THE 2010 NOMINEES ARE:

• “How to Train Your Dragon” - Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
    • “The Illusionist” - Sylvain Chomet
    • “Toy Story 3” - Lee Unkrich
    When Thursday, February 24, 7:30 p.m.

Where Samuel Goldwyn Theater

8949 Wilshire Boulevard
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

All seating is unreservedGeneral Admission – $5
    Academy members and students with a valid ID (limit 2) – $3

On sale starting Tuesday, February 1 at 9 a.m.
    more info at:
    Oscar-Nominated Animated Feature Symposium | Events Presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

I've attended the past few years and found them to be truly great events for animation fans, here's a link to last year's thread:

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1311...-3-4-10-a.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: AMPAS Oscar-nominated Animated Feature Symposium 2/24

Oooh, I am so there! I went to the Voices of Character and What's Opera Doc events and enjoyed them immensely. Can't wait to attend this one!

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Tickets are on sale now, see link in OP
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Come see me and my fellow animation nominees talk about our films at the Motion Picture Academy!
    http://t.co/FKs26TJ
    - Lee Unkrich
    24 minutes ago via Twitter for Mac

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Advance tickets for "ANIMATED FEATURE SYMPOSIUM" are no longer available.

There will be a stand-by line at the west door of the building on the day of the event, with numbers given out at approximately 5:30 p.m. The number of stand-by tickets that can be distributed will be determined shortly before the program begins.

Ticketholders should plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of the event to ensure a seat in the theater.

Event Information

When Thursday, February 24, 7:30 p.m.
    Where Samuel Goldwyn Theater
    8949 Wilshire Boulevard
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

All seating is unreserved

Oscar-Nominated Animated Feature Symposium | Events Presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I normally would go but.... I have steak night that night. Looking forward to a full report!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Meat wins another round, enjoy. Sorry we won't see you CB but I'll do my best to report on the events of the evening.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I misread that as "streak night" HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thanks to everyone who came out last night for the Motion Picture Academy Animated Feature Symposium!
    - Lee Unkrich
    https://twitter.com/leeunkrich

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The cover of the event program

Yet another very special night at the Academy's Goldwyn Theatre in Beverly Hills! After viewing a pair of opening taped featurettes, Shorts! (the animated &live action short film nominees) and Docs! (the short subject & documentary feature nominees) hosted by directors Martha Coolidge and Kenneth Branagh respectively, the main event began. Host Tom Sito took the opportunity to have the audience applaud a great year in animated films including Disney's 'Tangled' and Universal's 'Despicable Me' in particular.The directors of the nominated Animated Feature Films then took the stage, alphabetically by film.

After viewing the Hiccup meets Toothless scene Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois spoke at length about how they came on board the film already in development at DreamWorks Animation. Jeffrey Katzenberg called Sanders at home, who in turn called DeBlois with the opportunity to take over the film finished at about 60%. The pair eneded up reworking the film entirely, from dragon designs to overall script revision. They lavished praise on their visual effects team in particular along with Head of Character Animation Simon Otto and their producer Bonnie Arnold. Arnold also produced 'Toy Story'.

The director of 'The Illusionist' Sylvain Chomet was not able to attend as he was still in France. The extended scenes from his film that were shown were very impressive and well received.

'Toy Story 3' director Lee Unkrich followed and was accompanied by his constant companion *, Big Baby. He shared the story of his journey from USC film student to editor to 16 Pixar veteran. He mentioned that his wife had pointed out to him that the last time he was in the same room was 20 years earlier for the student Academy Awards program! He spoke about the studio's approach to creating a strong enough idea for another 'Toy Story' film, about the 2-day cabin retreat with John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Pete Docter to hammer out the story and about the tremendous pressure he felt from the beginning "not to screw up!" After showing his final clip, the last 10 minutes of the film, he shared with us the personal story about visiting his grandmother for the last time before her death as the emotional inspiration for the last look back Andy gives the toys on Bonnie's porch. He pointed out that obviously people around the world that have seen the film don't know that story but he and the animators at Pixar know it as part of the genuine human fabric woven into a CGI animated film.

All the director then took the stage with Sito to answer various questions from the audience and stayed to sign all manner of memorabilia afterwards. As always the audience was packed with animators, industry insiders, students and animated film fans.

I had the chance to chat with DreamWorks' Simon Otto about his work on 'Dragon' as well as a number of their previous and upcoming releases. He told me that the success of the film has really cracked things open there, allowing them to push further, "go to the next level with the artistry and technology". He said that the work being done on Chris Sanders' 'The Croods', the sequel to 'Dragon', the recently announced, 'Me and My Shadow' and a few more films in development is unlike anything that has been done with animation before.

Chris Sanders told me that he continues to be floored by the work being done by his 'Croods' crew and he hopes that audiences have as good a time with it next year in theatres as they are making it. I asked him about the big night this Sunday and he assured me he'll be looking sharp. He told me he bought a tux, his first, and that it'll be worn for only the second time at this year's Oscars! I exited the AMPAS lobby the same time as Chris so it was nice to be able to wish him luck, thank him again for his wonderful work and a terrific night.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Thanks for the report! Sounds awesome!

I will have to point out an error though... Lee Unkrich was in that room more recently than 20 years ago. It was 2002, right before the Oscars race of Monsters, Inc. vs Shrek. I was telling him after a similar event "don't worry, you guys are gonna win!" He replied very worried "I don't know... we'll cross our fingers."

Shrek won.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

So you & his wife were both mistaken...I still will give you an extra copy of the program for the ongoing collection CB! I would also like to add that the framed poster for 'Shrek' poster next to the 'Ratatouille' poster in the Academy's upstairs lobby just looks WRONG, it sticks out poorly among all of the other prestigious official posters in the collection, it is still just unbelievible that it won the Oscar of 'Monsters Inc.'. But already looking forward to next year's race.

BTW Lee is keeping busy again today:

Off to USC Cinema School to give a talk to students on making of Toy Story 3. Showing some cool things never seen outside Pixar...
    Lee Unkrich (leeunkrich) on Twitter
    Last edited by ALIASd; 02-25-2011 at 02:10 PM.