Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: 'Oz, the Great and Powerful'

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    Didn't the book and musical Wicked take place before Dorothy dropped in? And how the Wizard was really a more corrupt leader? But that story is really more about Elphaba (The Wicked Witch of the West) and how she was more misunderstood than evil...
    "Wicked", to sum it up, is how the Wicked Witch of the West became the Wicked Witch of the West, correct. I haven't seen it or read the book, but I do know that much.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Rachel Weisz to Play Evil Witch in Disney's 'Oz'

The Oscar-winning actress joins James Franco and Mila Kunis in the project, to be directed by Sam Raimi.
    Oscar-winning actress Rachel Weisz is in negotiations to play the villainess in Oz: The Great and Powerful, Disney’s prequel-ish take on The Wizard of Oz tale that stars James Franco and Mila Kunis and is being directed by Sam Raimi.

The movie stars Franco as Oz, a snake oil salesman who finds himself dealing with real magic when his balloon carries him into a fabled land and he runs into genuine witches.

Weisz would play Evanora, a powerful, evil witch who intends to rule the land. She is the sister of Theadora (Kunis) and tries to seduce her to the dark side.

The role would be a change of pace for Weisz, who — despite an eclectic resume ranging from her Oscar-winning work in The Constant Gardener to Wong Kar Wai’s My Blueberry Nights to The Mummy — has never worked on a project of this scale and never tackled what is sure to be a splashy role.

Rachel Weisz to Play Evil Witch in Disney's 'Oz' - Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

ORDDU: As witches, my sisters and I are really looking forward to this project with great anticipation.

ORWEN: Well, yes, but I have a question. Why is it the witches in Oz melt whenever they're touched with water? I mean, us witches from Morva get wet all the time and don't melt.

ORGOCH: Dunno--maybe they got a sense a humor that's too dang dry. But I sure wish I could melt the two a yerselves down that easy with some water. Sure would make my sorry life a lot less sorry...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Michigan gets 'Oz' wish as uncertainty
    looms over film tax credit program

Michigan isn't exactly Kansas, but anything is possible in the world of "Oz" -- and film tax credits. Walt Disney Studios confirmed Friday that its upcoming film “Oz” -- a prequel to the 1939 classic “The Wizard of Oz” -- will be filmed in Michigan after all.
    The movie, directed by Sam Raimi, has a production budget of more than $150 million and would be the largest feature film to ever shoot in Michigan.

The project's fate had been uncertain after Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder recently proposed a big cut in the state’s film tax credit program to balance the budget. Snyder called for capping the program at $25 million a year.

Currently Michigan has no such cap and allocates about $100 million annually in tax credits, making it one of the most popular film programs in the country.

Burbank-based Disney decided to proceed with the film after receiving assurances from state officials that its previously approved $40-million tax credit would not be affected.

That was welcome news to Los Angeles-based Raleigh Studios, which has just opened a $76-million studio in Pontiac, Mich., where “Oz” will begin filming in August. The production will fill up most of the studio’s seven stages.

“This definitely makes us rest a little easier,” said Mike Newport, vice president of marketing for Raleigh Studios. “Now the only question is what the tax credit will end up being moving forward.”

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Michelle Williams Offered Role of
    Good Witch in Disney's 'Oz'

The Sam Raimi-directed project stars
    James Franco and Mila Kunis.

Disney may have found the final piece of its triumvirate of witches for its Oz movie: Michelle Williams.

Williams has been offered the role of Glinda, the good witch, in Oz: The Great and Powerful, Disney’s prequel-ish take on The Wizard of Oz tale that stars James Franco and Mila Kunis and is being directed by Sam Raimi.

Kunis is on board as Theadora, a witch who falls for Franco. Rachel Weisz is in talk to play sister Evanora, the evil witch who wants to rule the land and tries to seduce Theadora to the dark side; Weisz’s dealmaking is complicated due to her having an offer to star opposite Jeremy Renner in Universal’s new Bourne movie, and shooting schedules would overlap.

If a deal makes for Williams, she would play a powerful witch who teams up with Franco to defeat Evanora (and maybe Theadora, but we’re not revealing spoilers).

Oz centers on Franco as a snake oil salesman who finds himself dealing with real magic when his balloon carries him into a fabled land and he runs into genuine witches.
    Michelle Williams Offered Role of Good Witch in Disney's 'Oz' - Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• The Devil in Prada

I was so excited when heard about Rachel Weisz I have always loved her and now Michelle Williams. I love all of the actors that have been cast so far. I'll have to wiki Sam Raimi's work lol.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Disney Sets 'Oz, the Great and Powerful'

for 2013

James Franco is in talks to play the young wizard in
    the Sam Raimi-directed 3D prequel.

Disney has set a release date for 3D event pic Oz: The Great and Powerful: March 8, 2013.

Directed by Sam Raimi, Oz is the prequel to the classic movie The Wizard of Oz.

The movie will tell the story of the wizard’s arrival in Oz.

James Franco is in talks to play the role of the young wizard, who is fleeing from a traveling circus when his hot air balloon is swept up by a tornado and transported to Oz, which is the control of two witches.
    Disney Sets 'Oz, the Great and Powerful' for 2013 - The Hollywood Reporter

• Banned User

This is gonna be a weird one.

• Minion

ORDDU: If Michelle Williams can manage to portray a convincing Glinda, it will be quite a stretch for her. As far as I know, she's never done anything beyond contemporary movies and television shows. This would seem to be her first period type piece or Fantasy type character.

ORWEN: Still, I can hardly wait for this one to come out! A movie about witches and wizards is right up our alley!

ORGOCH: Got spells an' charms?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12