Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Oz, the Great and Powerful'

'Alice in Wonderland' producer (& former Walt Disney Pictures president) Joe Roth has moved from Robert Downey Jr. to Johnny Depp and now Oscars co-host & Best Actor nominee, James Franco.

The latest contender for the Oz throne? James Franco.

The Oscar-nominated host of the Academy Awards is in early talks to star in Oz, the Great and Powerful, Disney’s prequel-ish take on The Wizard of Oz tale being directed by Sam Raimi.

The Oz role has been a hot one since Robert Downey Jr. fell out two and a half weeks ago. Johnny Depp was then in discussions for the role but after several meetings ultimately passed last night.

Franco may be, at first blush, an odd choice to topline the tale of a young illusionist with a grandiose attitude who is forced to flee a traveling circus. His hot air balloon is swept up by a tornado to the land of Oz, which is run by two magical wicked witches.

But from acting pinned to a rock in 127 Hours to a cameo as a drug lord in Green Hornet to his stint on General Hospital, Franco is showing he is not following anyone’s playbook, but his own.

Sources caution that no dealmaking has begun and many issues would need to be ironed out, but if the stars align, Franco would be back working with Raimi for the first time since they collaborated on Sony’s Spider-Man movies. At this stage, Franco hasn't met with Raimi to discuss the project.

While Oz doesn’t have a start or release date, the Joe Roth production is a high priority for the studio, which hopes to start production in the second half of the year.
    James Franco in Early Talks for 'Oz' After Johnny Depp Passes (Exclusive) - Heat Vision
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: 'Oz, the Great and Powerful'

He would provide for a younger wizard of oz, than JD. And not command as high a fee. But, can he pull off the role and attract the crowds, that might not otherwise see the movie?

Ugh it is so pointless to make another movie about the wizard of oz. The original film is so iconic. And its such a shame to see almost every big budget movie that comes out is just a rehash of old material. Do something original please! I do however love James Franco.

• Not here to help

I hope they make a movie about the real world of Oz and not the world that Judy Garland was running around in.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Minion

ORDDU: The Judy Garland version did a fine job of representing the land of Oz. Disney's Return to Oz was even more faithful to the orignal stories but suffered from being too dark. Maybe that's what you're saying you prefer. But it would seem that the darker version of Oz isn't what the public wants.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: The Judy Garland version did a fine job of representing the land of Oz. Disney's Return to Oz was even more faithful to the orignal stories but suffered from being too dark. Maybe that's what you're saying you prefer. But it would seem that the darker version of Oz isn't what the public wants.
    What the public wants is not always what it will like the most. Look at the magic world of Tolkien... imagine that as a musical with Mandy More... or that ugly Miley Circus.
    It doesn´t have to be dark, but it can look and be described as it was in the books. I know that the second Oz movie was made after the books. It is a shame it didn´t do better at the boxoffe. Perhaps the image of the Judy Garland inhabited Oz was hard to brush off or perhaps the marketing department made a... "Princes And The Frog".

The world of Oz deserves a movie that describes it.
    Let´s let Judy Garland rest in piece.

Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 02-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by theeighthpassenger View Post
    Ugh it is so pointless to make another movie about the wizard of oz. The original film is so iconic. And its such a shame to see almost every big budget movie that comes out is just a rehash of old material. Do something original please! I do however love James Franco.
    Yes, there have been different takes on The Wizard of Oz. Many different take have been done on the traditional movie. But remember that the original Oz stories are a collection of books, not just one. If someone had the right formula, a Series of OZ movies would certainly be an interesting topic. I really enjoyed the miniseries that the SciFi channel had. And talks of Wicked as a movie continually pop up. BUT this movie in the works will have it's own take, and a different time frame than the Garland version. As has already been explained, it's NOT a remake of the Garland version. The movie doesnt even have Dorothy in it. It focusses on the Wizard and him setting foot in OZ for the first time. Again, no Dorothy in this version.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 02-05-2011 at 04:25 PM.

• Not here to help

Dorothy was not even in all books.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Yes, there have been different takes on The Wizard of Oz. Many different take have been done on the traditional movie. But remember that the original Oz stories are a collection of books, not just one. If someone had the right formula, a Series of OZ movies would certainly be an interesting topic. I really enjoyed the miniseries that the SciFi channel had. And talks of Wicked as a movie continually pop up. BUT this movie in the works will have it's own take, and a different time frame than the Garland version. As has already been explained, it's NOT a remake of the Garland version. The movie doesnt even have Dorothy in it. It focusses on the Wizard and him setting foot in OZ for the first time. Again, no Dorothy in this version.
    Of course they could do more but the real question is do we need more?

Also if they can't even get a GREAT actor to be in the movie I feel like who cares....Downey Jr and Johnny Deep would have fit the role PERFECTLY but now they just move on to other actors which are COMPLETELY different just so they can get someone to be in the film to move it up in productions when I think they should not settle for actors that don't fit that character.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, the M-G-M version with Judy Garland is so good and so much loved it'll be really hard for anybody to top it. I don't know why Timmy thinks it didn't capture the spirit of the orginal story but it sure did for us Cauldron girls. As long as M-G-M's Wizard of Oz is the most popular, Judy Garland will continue to live on--as she should. I mean she's the best Dorothy there is, in our opinion.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Downey Jr and Johnny Deep would have fit the role PERFECTLY but now they just move on to other actors which are COMPLETELY different just so they can get someone to be in the film to move it up in productions when I think they should not settle for actors that don't fit that character.
    You know they alone would fit the role PERFECTLY how? Only be reading the script as they have. Sometimes the first choice just doesn't work out, Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones anyone?

Apparently you are unaware that for decades the current A-List actors are all sent the best scripts to pick from. Sometimes they sign on, sometimes they drop out in pre-production, each is a different animal. Producers, directors and studios all have their wish lists and try to assemble the best possible casts and crews they can.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^of course many actors in History have been ale to do a better job than who first would be thought of but in this case I don't think James Franco is who most would think of as the Great Oz....you need someone that can act that fake sense of being "all that" if you know what I mean....I hope this movie works out but for me if the casting seems second rate it might stop me from enjoying it as much.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

First: Timmy, most people, when they think of Oz, they think of the MGM movie (I agree with the witches on this one.)

Second: It's interesting, about which actor to pick for the role of the Wizard, (Robert Downey Jr., he's good and all, but I don't see him as a younger wizard. As for Johnny Deep, hmmmmm, I'll get back to you on that. ) James Franco, was he in "The Three Amigos"?

Third: I think out there is a book about how the Wizard came to Oz and became the Wizard of Oz.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Minion

ORDDU: In the original story of The Wizard of Oz, it is mentioned briefly how Oz, the humbug, managed to trick the residents of Oz into believing he was a wizard. The M-G-M motion picture also explains this. Then in The Land of Oz it is explained even further. But some of the books actually contradict each other in regard to Oz's role in taking over the Emerald City and setting himself up as the ruler of Oz. Originally he is represented as an evil individual who makes a pact with a wicked witch named Mombi. In later books he is represented as being less evil and less self-centered. In fact, he manages to redeem himself completely when he returns to Oz in later stories and becomes a close confidant to the rightful ruler of the realm, Princess Ozma.

Didn't the book and musical Wicked take place before Dorothy dropped in? And how the Wizard was really a more corrupt leader? But that story is really more about Elphaba (The Wicked Witch of the West) and how she was more misunderstood than evil...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast