• Banned User

Top Super Bowl performances of All of time?

It's around the corner, whether those looking forward to the game or the ads or the halftime entertainment. It's defiantly America's unofficial holiday, and depending on age, you have a favorite halftime performance?

Technically, the first ever halftime concert took place in 1967 when University of Arizona & Grambling State University Marching Bands, Al Hirt, Anaheim High School Drill Teams took the stage during the first Super Bowl at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

It was mostly college & high school bands performing up until 1984 when Disney made there first halftime show but not there last (1987, 1991, and 1995).

In 1991, the biggest boy band of that time performed, New Kids on the Block when Disney produced the show, 'Small World Tribute to 25 Years of the Super Bowl.'

Following year Gloria Estefan with Olympic Figure skaters Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill performed but the halftime show that made history and will forever mark the standards of what a halftime concert should be was the year 1993.

Years of low ratings, the NFL wanted someone to attract big numbers, and major star power. They turned to the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. The man who knows how to sing, perform, dance, entertain, and started the concert halftime 'event.' Over 130 million American viewers alone witnesses the halftime concert. Over billion viewers world-wide! It would be this first & last halftime performance when T.V. ratings increased more than the game itself. The show itself became one of the most watched events in television history. After 1993, NFL's determination on getting "A-list" performers to make the halftime shows the way they are today.

Since 1993 such acts like Diana Ross, Boyz II Men, Smokey Robinson, U2, Shania Twain, No Doubt, Sting, Paul McCartney, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, and The Who, to name a few, have performed.

My 5 Top Half-time Super Bowl Concerts of All Time

1) 1993 - Michael Jackson - It's attracted a billion viewers for a reason! During the halftime show, it was said that no one was buying food, drinks or souvenirs. They all ran to see Michael Jackson. Even the players of the Buffalo Bills, and Dallas Cowboys were scolded by there coaches to remain in the lockers but they couldn't resist.

2) 2004 - Janet Jackson - Up until now, Janet jackson has been the last female to had perform at the Super Bowl, Fergie of the Black Eyes Peas (who will be the main act for Super Bowl XLV) is the first female since to take the stage. Since MTV was behind this, I know MTV loves to cause controversy, and to say any party didn't know about the wardrobe malfunction stunt? Sure. Janet was left behind to defend for herself, and I never liked Justin Timberlake ever since. It was a entertaining concert, and I loved the drum line during Rhythm Nation

3) 1996 - Diana Ross - She was the only act, and what way to exit the Super Bowl, in a helicopter!

4) 2007 - Prince - Love the fact it was raining when he performed Purple Rain.

5) 1995 - Disneyland presents Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye - Sadly, I couldn't find any youtube video of this cool halftime show when Disneyland was heavily promoting it's then biggest attraction.

What's yours?
    Last edited by JMora; 02-05-2011 at 04:00 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Top Super Bowl performances of All of time?

NSYNC and Aerosmith
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    NSYNC and Aerosmith
    YES!!! i was totally going to say this!!!!

little biased? probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

Michael jackson was the best performance!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

U2. Definitely.