Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Steven Spielberg/J.J. Abrams' 'Super 8'

6 minutes of Super 8 (why couldn't it be 8? LOL)

Interviews...

Interview with Mr. Spielberg, my man...

The film is opening at 10pm at most IMAX theaters and some regular selected theaters June 9th!
    Last edited by JMora; 06-06-2011 at 04:08 PM.

• Disneyland PAP

So I picked up my comic books from the local shop last Wednesday, and that evening as I'm reading them, I discover a bonus "Super 8" comic book in the center of each one (I bought only DC Comics titles that day). It starts with a beautiful cover aged to look like it's from the late 50's and when I turn the page to start reading, I discover the comic has spoiled some details of the movie for me! Thanks for the spoiler warning, DC!

I found this link that talks about it and the contest you can enter to win a Flip camera (didn't they stop making these?) and some Super 8 swag. But even tho' they only show the cover art, I would still warn that some spoilery details might be deduced from the content.

“Super 8″ Comic Book Contest | MovieViral

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Super 8' Tops Friday with $12.2 Mil

Paramountís Super 8 -- directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg -- topped the Friday box office with an estimated $12.2 million. The period sci-fi pic is now on course to win the weekend with a gross of $35 million.

Including $1 million in Thursday sneaks, Super 8 is looking at a four-day cume of $36 million, besting Paramount's expectations.

Super 8 drew a B+ CinemaScore, while 71% of the audience was over the age of 25. That wasn't a surprise to Paramount, since the movie is Abrams' homage to the Spielberg films he grew up with. Males made up 56% of the audience.
    Box Office Report: 'Super 8' Tops Friday with $12.2 Mil; No. 2 'X-Men' Grosses $8 Mil - The Hollywood Reporter

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The little hybrid of Spielberg's long ago project, 'Dark Skies' and J.J. Abrams' gift for dialogue and characters proved a winning combination. With terrific homages to George Romero and more intact!

J.J. Abrams' 'Super 8' Defies Odds
    to Earn $37 Million

J.J. Abrams’ Super 8 opened to a better-than-expected $37 million at the domestic box office after an aggressive 11th hour marketing blitz by Paramount. Including paid previews on Thursday, the period sci-fi pic has earned $38 million in its first four days.

Overseas, Super 8 began rolling out in a handful of markets, grossing $6.7 million for a worldwide launch of $44.7 million. The biggest territory was Australia, where the movie earned $2.7 million.

Super 8—produced by Steven Spielberg—had been the focus of intense speculation because of soft tracking and a marketing campaign that left the film’s plot shrouded in mystery. Tracking showed the Super 8 opening to $25 million to $30 million domestically, despite the pedigree of Abrams and Spielberg.

Paramount’s efforts to whip up buzz on the eve of the film’s release seem to have paid off. On Thursday, the studio partnered with Twitter to host paid previews across the country, preceded by free sneaks Wednesday in 11 cities.

Ultimately, Super 8’s performed on par with sleeper-hit District 9, which opened to $37.3 million at the domestic box office in August 2009.

“I think we accomplished what we set out to do. It was never positioned as a big blockbuster, but as a smaller movie,” Paramount vice chair Rob Moore said. “We used the sneaks to infuse the marketplace with great word-of-mouth, and it certainly looks like it paid off.”

Paramount maintains Super 8 didn’t need a big opening, since it cost $50 million to produce, far less than other summer studio films.

Super 8 drew a B+ CinemaScore, while 71% of the audience was over the age of 25. That wasn’t a surprise to Paramount, since the movie is Abrams’ homage to the Steven Spielberg films he grew up. Males made up 56% of the audience.

The movie played in 3,379 theaters, including 239 Imax locations. Imax grosses clocked in at $4.4 million, a strong start and representing 12% of total earnings.

Set in 1979, Super 8 tells the story of a group of kids who are filming a home movie when there’s a violent train crash. When unexplained events start to threaten their town, they begin to suspect something inhuman escaped from the train. The film stars Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, Kyle Chandler, Ryan Lee, Riley Griffiths, Gabriel Basso and Zach Mills.

Super 8 held a comfortable lead over 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: First Class, which grossed $25 million in its second weekend for a cume of $98.9 million. The prequel fell 55%--the second best hold for any X-Men pic besides X2: X-Men United.
    Box Office Report: J.J. Abrams' 'Super 8' Defies Odds to Earn $37 Million - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Cars Land Rocks!

I saw the film on Tuesday and really enjoyed it, as I thought I would. Being a big J.J. Abrams fan, I've enjoyed most of what he has done, though this film had the complete feel of a Spielberg film. For me the film was very nostalgic. I was a a kid in the 70s and 80s making films with my dads regular 8mm film camera in grade school and junior high, and making Super 8 films in high school. I like all types of movies, but Super 8 is the style film I really like. Set in an older time, the film style itself had an older feel to it as well ... More suspenseful, not so much in your face as so many of today's film. There were a couple of things I didn't really like, but overall another great film from J.J. Abrams.

Oh, I loved this movie! The train wreck is a classic sequence, beating out the train wreck seen in the 1950s film The Greatest Show on Earth by Cecil B. DeMille. I liked the design of the monster and how Abrams gave just glimpses of it till the ending. And I loved the kids' movie.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

J.J. Abrams' 'Super 8' Jumps
    $100 Million Mark Domestically

The film has earned $100.5 so far as it heads
    into its fourth weekend in theaters.

Paramountís Super 8 officially turned into a box office monster on Thursday when crossing the $100 million mark on Thursday.

Directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg, the $55 million movie was the subject of furious debate on the eve of its opening in terms of how well it would play.

But once Super 8 began rolling in theaters, the naysayers were quelled.
    On Thursday, Super 8 grossed $1.2 million, upping its domestic cume to $100.5 million. The pic now heads into its fourth weekend of play.

Super 8 has seen minimal drops, and has been playing in more theaters than when it first debuted. Itís opening location count was 3,379; in recent days, the movie has been playing in 3,424 theaters.

The retro period sci-fi pic might be about small-town America, but Super 8 is doing good business overseas, where it has earned $36 million to date for a worldwide gross of $136.5 million.

Domestically, Super 8 has done better than films including Battle: Los Angles ($83.6 million) and The Adjustment Bureau ($62.5 million).
    J.J. Abrams' 'Super 8' Jumps $100 Million Mark Domestically - The Hollywood Reporter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12