Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Disney to start targeting new borns while they are still in the hospital.

I found this story at SFgate.com. After reading this I'm getting images of a Disney rep in the delivery room, standing next to the mother who's screaming with contractions, asking her to sign up for the program.

After enduring hours of contractions and pushing out an 8-pound baby, a new mom usually settles into her hospital bed to snuggle up with her newborn. Nurses, a doctor, possibly a lactation consultant, and an endless stream of overjoyed friends and family drop by--and now new moms might get a visit from a Disney representative. Huh?

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/...one624x523.jpg

Disney wants new moms to visit its BabyZone website, selling Disney-themed apparel.
    The Walt Disney Company is working harder than ever to reach younger children. They plan to lock new moms into the Disney brand by introducing them to its BabyZone line of Disney-themed apparel and other products for babies, ranging from strollers to baby food. And they hope to accomplish their goal by stepping into the maternity ward.

Last month, according to the New York Times, Disney visited 580 maternity hospitals in the United States. No, the representative isn't donning a Mickey Mouse and passing out theme park tickets (darn!). She simply brings the new mom a free Disney Cuddly Bodysuit and invites her to sign up for email alerts from DisneyBaby.com.

Companies have been marketing their wares to new moms for years. Hospitals usually passes out gift bags with diaper and formula samples, but this is the first time Disney has targeted new moms immediately after childbirth.

Reactions to Disney's marketing plan are mixed.

"This is taking advantage of families at an extremely vulnerable time," Jeff McIntyre, director of national policy for the advocacy group Children Now, told the NY Times.

Elizabeth Carter, who gave birth to her daughter in Piedmont, Calif., and was given a Disney Cuddly Bodysuit in a gift bag, told the Times: "It surprised me that Disney was in there promoting something right as the baby was born, but we figured as new parents we weren't in a position to turn free things down."
    Read more: Disney starts targeting newborns : The Mommy Files

I'm curious to see what you all think of this new tactic.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 02-09-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: hotlinked picture removed
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Disney to start targeting new borns while they are still in the hospital.

Crazy.....they got into my head when I was young....and now I see there movies and eat there very bad food...good Job Disney no one Brainwashes people like you

• Banned User

Selling newborn clothes, what's wrong with that? Nothing is more baby-friendly than Disney.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

stevo's got a point.

i'm more scared at the ad that came up with i came to this thread. wtf is a woombie? and why does it look like a death trap for a baby?
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    stevo's got a point.

i'm more scared at the ad that came up with i came to this thread. wtf is a woombie? and why does it look like a death trap for a baby?
    *googles* Apparently it's supposed to simulate being in the Womb... what the heck, babies need to get used to being OUT of the womb!

• Knight that says Nee!!

New borns are more comfortable when "swaddled" for the first month or so of life, thus the idea of a "woombie". It is basically a way to swaddle the baby for those who just cant figure out how to do so with a blaket I guess.

As for the program...ok. Disney has sold clothes for a long time, so why not infant clothes and accesories to new parents for their borns? Disney is a business, so it is acting like one.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Crazy.....they got into my head when I was young....and now I see there movies and eat there very bad food...good Job Disney no one Brainwashes people like you
    Yes.. Brainwashing. You've been compromised.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Our son was born at St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange and we were given a Mickey Mouse plush toy from the hospital. His first Mickey before he was even a day old.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

As a parent, was this a good thing, or a bad thing? I am very curious to see how you felt about it.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Why would getting a plush toy, Disney branded or not, be a bad thing? I bought my daughter a Pooh Bear for her coming home day when she was born. My son got a baby Simba. I had to buy them myself...I would have been perfectly happy had the hospital picked up the tab!

• Cars Land Rocks!

I was happy with it, especially being that it was Mickey Mouse. CHOC is right across the street so I'm guessing Disney's connection to that is why they were giving out the Mickey toys.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

If they dont allow disney into the hospitals then they should ban pampers , huggies gerbers, carters etc from giving out free stuff
    Most hospitals give out a free sample bag to every new born, so to a certian extent when a baby is born they and the family are introduced to the multi billion dollar industry of baby stuff...
    If Disney is out all should not be allowed... There is no harm to disney being allowed in

My son was born 4 years ago, premature, and the only thing I was able to get/give him was a plush toy, We have him Lucky from 101 Dalmations. Suffice to say, Lucky is still with us and must go wherever we go on vacation, even to Disney World.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I feel like I should be outraged, but really i am bummed that they don't have this program at my hospital lol

Here is another article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/bu...nted=1&src=twr

This one talks about some crazy awesome perks.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Here is another article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/bu...nted=1&src=twr

This one talks about some crazy awesome perks.
    At first I read "crazy awesome parks." Talk about disappointment...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast