Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Parents sue Disney, claim son suffered 'Severe Burns' from his Nacho Cheese

In a case reminiscent of the 'McDonalds-Coffee-is-too-hot' lawsuit, San Diego parents Michael and Maria Harris have filed suit against Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, saying that their 4 year old son was injured by a plate of nacho cheese.

The incident happened last year in March when the family was visiting Walt Disney World. While the couple was having dinner, the child spilled nacho cheese on his face resulting in severe burns.

In the suit, the Harris's are claiming that thier child suffered "permanent scarring, pain and suffering" as a result of the burns, and that the parents suffered "emotional distress" from the incident. While the Harris's haven't specified an amount they are suing for, they have asked Disney to pay the medical and legal costs incurred as well as punitive damages and "further relief as this Court deems just and proper."

For more on this story, please go to Disney lawsuit: Parents say son suffered 'severe burns' from Disney's nacho cheese - OrlandoSentinel.com
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: Parents sue Disney, claim son suffered 'Severe Burns' from his Nacho Cheese

And how does a child get hot nacho cheese in a position to spill it on his face???

I'm so tired of parents trying to spin their lack of control over their kids into a fast pay day, or a litiguos way of trying to make themselves feel better for not looking after their kids.

I hope the judge throws the case back in their face and puts them in their place in the process.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by lionheartkc View Post
    And how does a child get hot nacho cheese in a position to spill it on his face???
    yeah...the answer to that would be because the parents were not watching their out of control spawn.

And this is coming from a MOTHER so don't throw the "you aren't a parent" crap at me. I take responsibility for my kid in public. These kinda lawsuits where children are not properly watched by parents really just blow my mind.

We had discussed this on the DIS and someone reported that the boy had been at one of those awfully wobbly tables which flipped when the boy leaned on it, causing the sauce to spill over the boy's face. If this is true and the parents reported it right away, then Disney should do something, but it all remains to be seen.

• Banned User

Why did the parents let him have hot nacho cheese in the first place?

• Koubu Pilot

So what happens at home when mom or dad heats up lunch for the child and he burns himself on the food mom or dad heat up for him?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Say what? I had to read the title of this thread 3 times over to understand what happened.

These lawsuits are getting more and more lame by the month.

• A Weather Eye Open

did he have to go straight to first aid and then the hospital (in an ambulance) right after it happened? that would be the only reason this might even be valid.
    and how is wobbly tables and hot nacho cheese not something you encounter throughout your life on a semi-daily basis? you can't sue every restaurant that has poorly maintained tables (they might not even know when one is tippy) or force them to keep their food lukewarm (then people will really get mad and sue over cold or undercooked food).

you CAN watch your kid to make sure he's not messing with the table enough to tip it over (it weighs more than him most likely, so he's gotta be leaning or pounding on it pretty hard) and can keep hot food out of kiddy's reach until it cools enough for them. I mean, 4 years old is an age where you don't take your eyes of your kid, I remember my brother at that age was a terror.

you can't watch your kid all the time every second, as most parents know, but theme parks are important places to be on your A game with the little ones. it might take teamwork with other adults and even older siblings. i love hearing responses from all the responsible and prepared parents here on mice chat!!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    So what happens at home when mom or dad heats up lunch for the child and he burns himself on the food mom or dad heat up for him?
    They sue the microwave manufacturer for not properly educating them that when you put food in a microwave and press start the food will heat up. Simple logic, nothing is your fault when you can blame someone else for your mistakes.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Young Imagineer (I wish)

I see many thing wrong with this lawsuit,

1. It's nacho cheese, its supposed to be hot.
    2. They should've been watching their kid.
    3. At least it was just hot cheese and not boiling water or oil.
    4. They also would've gotten mad if the cheese wasn't hot enough.
    5. Whatever happened to, "let it cool for a while?"
    6. I don't think anyone can get horribly burned by hot cheese. I've burned myself on a convential oven and a stove light that was on all day. They hurt, but they weren't horrible. Just try to keep it cool, get some ice, and disinfect. Maybe even use the stuff for getting rid of sunburns.
    7. Every dining place I have ever been to has at least a few wobbly tables.
    8. I've been burned by hot foods so many times as a kid (I was a pretty dumb kid ) and I'm not emotionally distressed or traumatized.

I feel I've made my point.

I maintain that you must have a license, pass an exam and psychological evaluation to have children.

I saw "numerous" irresponsible and irritating parents at MK yesterday. What kind of environment are they raising their children in?

One adult 'took' his toddler out of her seat at Stitch's Great Escape and placed her on the shoulder bar in the middle of the show. A CM approached him with a flashlight and he simply laughed.

Another parent (an upwardly mobile sort) screamed vulgarities at her 9 or 10yr old girl for accidentally 'tapping' her with the swinging metal entrance gate at the ferryboat entrance. The child apologized and the mother used every cuss word in the book. When the husband tried to placate her and tell her it was a simple mistake...she stormed off,..saying " 'F' all of you, this is MY day and I don't need a little *itch to hit me". Wow.

While in line for Jungle Cruise, a father complained about standing (in a 15 min. line) and told his kids to 'cut to the front' to find him a good spot on the boat. The kids cut in front of people, and the CM politely engaged them in fun conversation but made them aware that they would have to wait in line. The father was infuriated and began to mock the CM from where he was standing.

I laughed when my Mom looked directly at two of these people, grinned wide, and said "Have a Disney day!!".

So I definitely believe that nacho cheese burns are sadly probably an everyday, (unusual to 'us'...yes) run of the mill lawsuit for WDW. Some ignorant people will do whatever they can to get money out of the park when very clearly it's a laughable case.

• DLR Cast Member

In order for the plaintiff to win this suit, it would have to be demonstrated that there was a reasonable negligence on the part of Disney. The only way that could be done is to prove that the nachos were prepared or served in a manner in which a reasonable person would not expect them to be served. I can't by any stretch of my imagination think how that burden of proof would be met.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I can't by any stretch of my imagination think how that burden of proof would be met.
    Clearly, not a lawyer.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    In order for the plaintiff to win this suit, it would have to be demonstrated that there was a reasonable negligence on the part of Disney. The only way that could be done is to prove that the nachos were prepared or served in a manner in which a reasonable person would not expect them to be served. I can't by any stretch of my imagination think how that burden of proof would be met.
    I can.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ryran75 View Post
    So I definitely believe that nacho cheese burns are sadly probably an everyday, (unusual to 'us'...yes) run of the mill lawsuit for WDW. Some ignorant people will do whatever they can to get money out of the park when very clearly it's a laughable case.
    Your anecdotal evidence that some (or even many) parents are idiots has no connection to the Nacho Cheese lawsuit. Given the information available to the public, it is in no way "clear that this is a laughable case" -- that is purely your assumption. Whether or not this case is in fact laughable, and these parents are "trying to get money out of the park," will become clear in due course.

(Your assumption that "people who do whatever they can to get money out of the park" also are "ignorant" ignores other motivations, but that's a discussion for another thread.)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast