Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disney annonces the NextGen of interactive offerings for their theme parks

Ticket, hotel and dinner reservations (that's all they are, nothing new here) online are fine. "Our market research shows these guests spend 24% more than our off-line guests."

Non-human check-in. Not quite as terrible as self-checkout at the hardware store, but bound to never work quite right like self-check in at the airport. "Our market research shows our self check in guests drive thru the outer property gates 37 minutes earlier than our non-RFID tagged guests and average 14mph in the parking lot. What can we sell to them during that time?"

I've always hated Fastpass. I shouldn't have to be stressing and watching the clock like I do at work today, while I'm supposed to be entering the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.
    "Studies show our WebFastpass extracting guests purchase 0.72 more churros while traveling east in the Magic Kingdom in the 3 o'clock hour."

The suit's Powerpoints from this should be great!

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    What is your average spend, do you visit the characters, do you buy ice cream, how many times do you visit, how many people do you travel around with, what is the gender of the people you are traveling around the park with, do you visit the park with the same people each time, do you buy the same products over and over or try new things, do you buy cheap things or expensive things, do you buy things on sale, do you collect certain things, etc.

Is it worth a billion dollars . . . from a corporate point of view, it most certainly is.
    Why are people lining up in droves at Universal Orlando to buy wands and Butter Beer? Because Universal built a new attraction (emphasis on attraction) that people love and respond to. Why is Disney spending a billion dollars to figure out how to increase profits? The answer seems obvious to me.

I know there's a lot more to this project, but it just seems to clear to me as a guest, what I want them to spend money on.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Why are people lining up in droves at Universal Orlando to buy wands and Butter Beer? Because Universal built a new attraction (emphasis on attraction) that people love and respond to. Why is Disney spending a billion dollars to figure out how to increase profits? The answer seems obvious to me.

I know there's a lot more to this project, but it just seems to clear to me as a guest, what I want them to spend money on.
    Agreed. Also, is this project going to come to DLR or any of the other Disney Resorts anytime soon? (I hope not, please?)
    Also, I think this NextGen Project is a WASTE OF MONEY on the part of the company. Despite the new lovely services included, it really makes the guest(s) all the more stressed than rested.

Timekeeper
    Last edited by Timekeeper; 02-21-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I had some more to say
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Disneyland's the best!

I pretty much agree with the general consensus on this thread. The ride reservation system is just an all-around BAD idea. Now, paperless FASTPASSes, maybe. But I don't think ride reservation would work as planned. I think that most of the NextGen ideas work, though. It would essentially give Disney the ability to track a guest's habits and dislikes. A short survey upon arrival would be great, and a scan at every ride, shop, and restaurant. That would give Disney the ability to see what kind of guests are doing what and NOT doing what. In the hands of Disney, that information would be VERY safe. Do I think all this is good? Absolutely! (Except the ride reservation system. Fastpass is fine.)

There is much more to this project for Disney than just allowing guests to reserve their spot in line. The near field technologies/RFID used in this project would allow Disney to know where every guest is at all times, what they are buying, how long they are spending in line, etc. PLUS, Disney will better be able to collect data on everything they ever wanted to know about you and use that data to better target you for marketing and interactions in the park. Eventually, the rides will know who you are. And some of those attractions may interact with you in some way or even "Remember" things about you on repeat visits. Your Disney keyring or ID card or necklace would be your pass into the park, your payment card, and the identification device used to track you.

Regardless of how much info you give Disney when you sign up, they'll be able to collect and learn even more from you once you start using the system. What sorts of things do you buy, What is your average spend, do you visit the characters, do you buy ice cream, how many times do you visit, how many people do you travel around with, what is the gender of the people you are traveling around the park with, do you visit the park with the same people each time, do you buy the same products over and over or try new things, do you buy cheap things or expensive things, do you buy things on sale, do you collect certain things, etc. Over time, Disney will be able to collect enough information to make recommendations to you at restaurants, send you emails and text messages about new items in the park you might like, offer you discounts and promotions based upon your spending habits, and in general personalize your Disney experience. It is marketing, guest satisfaction and operational efficiencies all wrapped up in one expensive program.

Is it worth a billion dollars . . . from a corporate point of view, it most certainly is.

The problem Disney is going to run into is privacy concerns. Facebook has repeatedly been punished by users for much more minor attempts to collect data. This could be a real double edge sword for Disney and they need to be VERY careful.

I think they need to keep moving forward on this project. The benefits to the consumer and the park are tremendous. However, they'd better start focusing on the positives and come up with plans for dealing with the negatives because this one is a potential time-bomb if not handled correctly.
    As usual Dustysage hit it on the nose.
    Last edited by RatherBeAtDLand; 02-19-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

I think this is yet another way to exclude the casual visitors and cater to the out-of-town tourists. I think it's a terrible idea. I don't plan my visits to the nth degree; at the parks, I usually just go in a clockwise direction and go on the rides as I come to them. But sometimes I'm just not in the mood to ride Space Mountain; I'd rather go on something relaxing, like the railroad or the submarines. How do I do that if I make my decision six months ahead of time? Are they going to tell me "No, you can't go on this ride. You've got a reservation at Space Mountain; you have to go there instead."

• former CM

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This is the kind of thinking that's to be expected when you put Disney's Chief Financial Officer and head of Strategic Planning in charge of Disney Parks.
    He earned over 10 million last year according to Forbes.com and he has specially prepared organic food cooked for him by chefs at the parks. So. . .

1. He is a guy who thinks many cast members are worth less than 200th as much as himself.
    (I know, some of you agree that he is a superman who is worth it because Disney's {post-Eisner? Maybe not} board went along with that compensation, and by a simplistic perversion of Adam Smith you think it is therefore correct. Well you're wrong, and that income gap could eventually lead to what just happened in Egypt happening in America.)
    2. He has food served to guests that he himself would not eat.

That's the kind of guy he is. Not the kind of guy who thinks, "How would I like it if. . ."

Another thought (off-base?), could there eventually be a conspicuously advertised fee to reserve ride times? If so, that will further kill the Walt Disney/Jet Blue appearance of one class that is/was so popular. Walt made sure that the opulent, exclusive Club 33 was well-hidden from most guests, and that it was above a wonderful restaurant (The Blue Bayou) that most guests could splurge on.

And a billion dollars?!
    Uh, but--hey--it involves COM-PYOO-TORS. Owwwwwww! Ahhhhhhhh! So shiny!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-19-2011 at 10:58 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post

I agree with you. Disney is putting too much focus on the wrong thing. Yes, Disney still needs to make things run as efficiently as possible. But saying the guests can go directly to their hotel rooms, without checking in? That's just not taking into consideration the concerns and needs of guests. They will still need to check in, what if their room isn't ready, etc. Many reasons will still require guest check in. They can't even manage the problems with the bus systems that wdw offers. But without the comedy club and Adventures Club, along with others, what need is there to even visit DTD disney at WDW. As for the Parks, YES! It comes down to offering new inventive attractions that will appeal to a wide range of guests. And Universal has beat WDW this past year. Trying to have a waiting area instead of a queue, still doesn't eliminate wait time.

And let me add the voice that i HATE the way you have to make reservations for eating, MONTHS in advance. Spontinaity at Disney is dead. Scheduling every second of your day is not exactly a relaxing way to specd time at WDW.

This "New Gen" sounds like a Billion Dollar Boondoggle. Especially when it doesn't attract guests. It's the attractions that do that. And Universal added the better attractions over the past decade.

• Banned User

The real problem here is that, with this technology, Disney is treating park visitors solely as CONSUMERS, not as GUESTS. Long term benefits mostly include the technology for Disney to track your habits. This information will not (IMO) be used to improve guest experience, but to increase profit and revenue at the parks.

The parks are moving to the point where this type of information is being used in an insidious way.

I just realized something: This idea is by control freaks for control freaks.

• Elusive Member

People who count beans for a living often miss the point. They often measure success by efficency and ROI while discounting personal service factors. Costco runs like this NextGen program figuring staffing requirements on a fifteen minute basis. Yes, it works very well most of the time with exactly the correct number of checkers available to keep lines manageable and of course they track you personally and what you buy and how often you buy. In Disney's case this process will be invisible and impersonal in many ways. The upside is that the next time I reserve a suite my pantry will be pre-filled with everything I like without me lifting a finger because the system only has to be told once. Unfortunately this may mean fewer real service personnel to wish me a "Magical Day". I'll miss that part but now it looks like I'll need to hire another personal assistant just to book amusements and dining. I don't have time for that sort of thing. All in all I'd rather see Disney expand capacity and service personnel with this extra billion to make my vacation more perfect. I think that's a fair expectation. Don't you?
    The one and only...The Original...
    Mountain Man

Reserved fast pass could be cool, so long as you only get one or two a day and they come from current pool of fast passes (a scenario Kevin Yee talked about in a current article). I think this would help make the Disney operated hotels justify their higher prices. If I'm an out of towner spending big bucks to stay on a Disney property, I want some sort of exclusive perk. I remember 20 years ago, one of the biggest reasons my family would say at the DL Hotel was the exclusiveness of the monorail and how easy it was to get into the park. Now the monorail is packed because downtown Disney is popular and there are two other hotels that utilize it. In the summer (when I go), this forces you to wait for up to 30 minutes to get into the park!!! You cannot walk onto it anymore. With that incentive gone, it becomes a little more difficult to justify the higher costs of the DL hotel, especially when I can stay across the street at the Best Western and basically walk into the park instead of through a giant outdoor mall.

I can't imagine the locals would like this idea regardless, but as an out of towner who can only go once every two years who spends big bucks, I would welcome this. 1 billion dollars though? I would rather have that money spent towards that mysterious Tron Ride or that rumored E-ticket that will go in the NW corner of the park where the stables are. I don't post on here much, so try not to attack me if you don't agree.. :/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12