Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• șoș Tom șoș

Earth to America

TBS aired a special last Sunday called "Earth to America" a comedy benifit designed to raise money for the prevention and ongoing research and ultimatly the solution to global warming. The 2 hour special filmed at Caeser's in Las Vegas was part of a 3 day comedy festival in Vegas, I was supposed to attend were it not for unreliable friends.

Aiming to prove that laughter is the best medicine--even for what's ailing the planet--Earth to America! is a two-hour comedy event featuring America's funniest superstars. Featured performers include: John F Kennedy Jr, Astronaut Jim Hovell (of the Apollo 13 mission) Dustin Hoffman, Leo Dicaprio, Will Ferrell, Bill Mahr, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Martin Short, Eric Idle, Larry David, Robin Williams, Tom Hanks, Steve Martin, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and more.

The special was produced by Larry David's wife Laurie David and was a blend of music and standup. It was brilliantly and bitingly funny and sarcastic.

All that said I gotta say the highlight of the show was watching Triumph the Insult Dog brow beat 4 Republican Congressmen who honestly do not believe in global warming and consider that it is all junk science. In the face of overwhelming evidence brought to the table by Triumph, the Congressmen froze. Then Triumph asked if global warming was proven, would they find a way to pin this on Sadam? One of the congressmen turned and with a straight face said yes.

I am a moderate on most of my beliefs but I agree with the overwhelmin sediment of the entire evening: Global Warming is far too large an issues for us to sit around and debate the merit of the science. We need to act NOW!

To join the virtual march against Global Warming follow the below link:

http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/default.asp

• They wanna know, HO!

Re: Earth to America

Here's a place to watch them online.

http://comedy.aol.com/tcf

Make sure to check out the Blue Man Group performance, really great.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• GO DBACKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I am a moderate on most of my beliefs but I agree with the overwhelmin sediment of the entire evening: Global Warming is far too large an issues for us to sit around and debate the merit of the science. We need to act NOW!
    I'd rather debate the merit of the science than just blindly believe what Hollywood has to say. Scientists cant even agree on whether the current trend is harming or helping our planet.

Here is a small blurb from one report that I found interesting:
    Lush Environment
    What mankind is doing is moving hydrocarbons from below ground and turning them into living things. We are living in an increasingly lush environment of plants and animals as a result of the carbon dioxide increase. Our children will enjoy an Earth with twice as much plant and animal life as that with which we now are blessed. This is a wonderful and unexpected gift from the industrial revolution.

Hydrocarbons are needed to feed and lift from poverty vast numbers of people across the globe. This can eventually allow all human beings to live long, prosperous, healthy, productive lives. No other single technological factor is more important to the increase in the quality, length and quantity of human life than the continued, expanded and unrationed use of the Earth's hydrocarbons, of which we have proven reserves to last more than 1,000 years. Global warming is a myth. The reality is that global poverty and death would be the result of Kyoto's rationing of hydrocarbons.
    Here is a LINK to the entire article.

Speaking of Junk Science, great website: www.junkscience.com Just in case some one wants to make their up their own minds instead of just believing what Hollywood types have to say. This website posts scientific reports that both support the view of global warming and reports that call the global warming effect a myth.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid
    I'd rather debate the merit of the science than just blindly believe what Hollywood has to say. Scientists cant even agree on whether the current trend is harming or helping our planet.

Here is a small blurb from one report that I found interesting:
    Here is a LINK to the entire article.

Speaking of Junk Science, great website: www.junkscience.com Just in case some one wants to make their up their own minds instead of just believing what Hollywood types have to say. This website posts scientific reports that both support the view of global warming and reports that call the global warming effect a myth.
    Are you freaking kidding me? Just 20 to 30 years ago oxygen made up 19% of the atmosphere, it makes up just 9% today. Fine plant life might actually increase, but the majority of our oxygen is produced by planktin which have seem massive declines in population due to pollution.

This isn't Hollywood liberal bias, this is something very real. Even if it is a warming trend, should we simply allow pollution to continue at the levels we are seeing today? Shouldn't we make attempts to fix our problems and move away from fossil fuel in spite of your belief one direction or another I just don't see how we can simply turn our backs and say let the next generation deal with it. We are that generation and we do have to deal with it.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Nope- I also think of it as junk science. Sorry but I have heard too many conflicting stories- the ice caps are melting! oh wait- the ice shelves are getting thicker and bigger. Well, which is it - melting or not?

Most of the so called warming is occuring in non-industrialized nations, What? are the animal's using aerosol?

Junk science- this absurd notion that man can destroy this planet. have you checked the amount of greenhouse gases expelled by one volcano blast? Did you know it was HOTTER is the long distant past than it is now?

Arrogant science- man has been around but a tiny moment of this earth's history- and watching the planet go through normal climate changes and watching scientists go about shrilling about global warming, and watching pols turn it into a voting issue just amuses me.

They can't always accurately tell us what the weather will be next week- let alone in years.

The earth is stronger than people give it credit for- she has dealt with more upheaval and pollution than man will ever create. The sun creates the ozone- so unless the sun goes out I would not worry.

Science has it's own bias- to deny that is naive. To pretend that all scientific reports are somehow infallible is ludicrous.

To believe that somehow some comedy routine by the liberals in Hollyweird with a stupid puppet dog would make people change their mind is silly. You have no idea how much of it was planned and scripted- besides that, you sit any pol down and confront them with something they weren't expecting and they might go blank- and it lost ALL credibility when one of them said they would blame it on Saddam. Scripted! I would never believe otherwise.

So sorry- they want to convince people of this so called "science"- you need to find a better spokesman than Triumph the idiot puppet dog.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Just 20 to 30 years ago oxygen made up 19% of the atmosphere, it makes up just 9% today.
    Poppycock.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    Poppycock.

Oh if only I could rep that one

• debating what to put here

I don't think we are killing the earth at all. It will always be here, barring an impact with some large asteroid. We are probably killing ourselves though and will take a majority of the animals with us.

As far as the 9% figure for the amount of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere, I heard that number on the show the other night and was highly skeptical. Google produces no link that I could find from the scientific community that backs that number up.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I don't know what the oxygen level is in Hollywood, but worldwide it's about 20%. To say that it has dropped to 9% is so incredibly ridiculous it undermines any serious argument the global alwarmist had to began with.

As for polution in general; I do believe the World(not America) community does need to do more to control it. The US should insist that any conservation treaty they sign apply to every Nation equally(China, Brazil, Russia and Mexico, I am talking to you) and not be some pathetic punitive action against America so other countries can "catch up" to us.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• șoș Tom șoș

Wow, just wow. I get it, I really do its too hard for you guys to care or do anything so rather than worry at all you just write it off, wow congratulations you reconfirmed my belief that humans are naturally SOB's who couldn't be bothered to actually care about the environment around them.

I am not gonna try to convience people to believe in what they think is a phantom. Its just something I will never wrap my brain around because its the one easy issues, clear and unwavering in my mind- pollution is beyond politics, beyond religion, beyond war. It doesn't respect borders, it doesn't respect world leaders, it just is and it continues to accelerate. Unlike politics, religion, war and borders----if we're wrong about pollution, if we're wrong about global warming, we've just damned our children.

• șoș Tom șoș

Glitch

• șoș Tom șoș

glitch

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Actually, the majority of oxygen is produced by various microorganisms, not just plankton.

Pollution is a seperate issue from global warming as no one can conclusively determine its effects on the planet. Earth has survived worse things than man. How do you "cure" global warming.

Now if the goal is to find a new, renewable energy source that does not pollute, than I am all for it. I don't support celebrities jumping on a vague bandwagon that is heading towards a non-specific goal. There are many problems in our world that are not vague, and not contentous. No one can deny the effects of global poverty. What about disease erradication- 1 million children worldwide die from measels, a childhood disease that has been nearly erradicated in the US with simple and cheap vaccines.

Am I trying to deny that pollution exists or that it is harmful- of course not. However I do think we are already working on becoming less reliant on fossil fuels and more reliant on other cleaner forms of energy.

Sorry, but I would rather listen to someone with a scientific background who has actually stepped foot in a lab as oppossed to a celebrity who can't even spell "global warming" let alone read a scientific journal or interpret the results of a study or experiment. If there is so much doubt as to its effects, then it can't possibly be a black and white issue- nothing to beat your head against a wall for.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• șoș Tom șoș

I am more than willing to believe that the neither side of the arguments has it completly right but I am not willing to believe everyone can so easily sit by idly?

Oh and in case you think I am completly couped by Hollywood fiction, check out these sights which give both sides of the coin.

*Oceans levels are rising twice as fast as the were over a 150 years ago.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?fee...-sealevels.xml

*Ice Bubbles give evidence that there is more carbon dioxide in the air than in the last 65,000 years.
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...05/1009/NEWS07

*Nations gather to achieve a plan beyond Kyoto that will not only work for the United States but also demand developing countries join in too!
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L22788095.htm

*Affordable solutions from New Jersey in the fight against Global Warming
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...-apconnecticut

*Recent evidence for global warming with opposing arguments
    http://www.heraldnewsdaily.com/stori...-00103655.html

*How fighting Global Warming will provide job opportunity in developed and non-developed countries.
    http://www.ipsnews.net/columns.asp?idnews=31138

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I think the main divisive issue is that no one has conclusively proven that the phoenomenon associated with global warming are abnormal. We have not been tracking global weather patterns for long enough to know:

1- if these events are actually the result if pollution and other evils perpetrated by man

2- if these events are really abnormal- they could be part of normal weather patterns and cycles that the earth goes through.

3- these events might not even be a bad thing, we are assuming they are, but don't know for certain.

Just because pollution and global warming co-exist doesn't mean that one causes the other. Someone might die on a plane from a heart attack, but he didn't have the heart attack because he was on a plane.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast