Thread: 'Rango'

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Rango'

1st industry trade review:

Rango: Film Review

The Bottom Line

Madly clever animated sagebrush saga has style and wit to burn.

Johnny Depp voices the title character in a clever, witty movie from his "Pirates of the Caribbean" director, Gore Verbinski, that employs a technique the filmmakers call "emotion capture."

The dusty cards of the Old West are reshuffled into a winning hand in Rango, a madly clever animated sagebrush saga with style and wit to burn. Reconfiguring the spaghetti Western into a fusilli con camaleonte, Gore Verbinski's surprising escape picture after years in the Caribbean is eye-poppingly visualized in a hyper-realistic style that at times borders on the surrealist. The verbal flights of fancy will often sail right over the heads of rugrats, as will the innumerable references to and twists on classic movies, making this one animated feature some adults might enjoy more than their kids. But the presence of Johnny Depp in the title role virtually assures muscular returns for this Paramount/Nickelodeon production.

Rango has the feel of a lark, of a film-lover's spree in a playpen equipped with some of the world's most expensive and expressive toys. Verbinski also enjoys the advantage of some highly gifted playmates, including technical wizards at Industrial Light + Magic (working on the firm's first animated feature), some of his Pirates effects cohorts and visual consultant Roger Deakins, who helps make the picture look as much shot as animated.
    full review at:
    Rango: Film Review - The Hollywood Reporter

9/9/2008
    http://micechat.com/forums/movies/103696-depp-verbinski-wrangle-animated-rango.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'Rango'

FYI - Roger Deakins, best known for his work as Director of Photography on the films of the Coen brothers including 'True Grit', 'No Country for Old Men' and 'Fargo', also worked served as a consultant on Pixar's Oscar winner, 'WALL-E' and on DreamWorks Animation's Oscar-nominated 'How to Train Your Dragon.'
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

I can't wait to see this movie!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Rango' Wins Friday Box Office
    With $9.8 Mil

Update: "Adjustment Bureau" earns $6.7 million, "Beastly" also gets off to solid start and "Take Me Home Tonight" tanks.

Paramount and Nickelodeon Movies' quirky toon Rango -- voiced by Johnny Depp -- topped the Friday box office with an estimated $9.8 million from 3,917 theaters, a somewhat softer-than-expected start for the critically acclaimed film.

Box office observers have readjusted their projections for the family friendly film, and now expect an opening weekend gross of $36 million to $38 million for Rango, versus $38 million to $40 million

But even at the lower number, Rango should score the best opening gross of 2011 for a non-holiday weekend. Animated films also can have strong legs.

Many of the country's top critics have embraced Gore Verbinski's Rango -- film has an 88% rating on Rottentomatoes.com -- but moviegoers gave the toon a C+ CinemaScore. Paramount insiders say the CinemaScore could reflect the fact that Rango is a notch more sophisticated than most toons, sparking debate among moviegoers.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rango-easily-tops-friday-box-164425

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Just saw it yesterday afternoon. I was very surprised...I actually enjoyed it!

A whole lot of references to other films in it!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Rango' Tops Weekend With $38 Million

Johnny Depp movie is the top non-holiday weekend. "Adjustment Bureau" No. 2 with a solid $20.9;
    "Take Me Home" disappoints.

Boosted by a great Saturday, Paramount's quirky toon Rango -- voiced by Johnny Depp -- opened to an estimated $38 million from 3,917 theaters to score the top opening of the year for a non-holiday weekend.

Rango came in on the lower end of expectations, reflecting the distinct challenges facing the toon, directed by Gore Verbinski. The crtically acclaimed film has plenty of adult humor, so it didn't play as young as other toons. Second, it didn't have the advantage of being in 3D. However, traffic was still up an impressive 73% on Saturday.

Overseas, Rango grossed north of $16 million as it opened out in numerous markets for a worldwide total of $54 million. With its Old West theme, Rango played incredibly well in Hispanic markets like Mexico and Argentina, as well as in the Southwest and Western United States.

Costing $135 million to produce, Rango easily posted the best debut of an otherwise lackluster year. In mid-January, Sony's The Green Hornet grossed $40.1 million over the four-day Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, according to Rentrak.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rango-is-weekends-years-top-164801
    Last edited by ALIASd; 03-06-2011 at 11:43 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Rango' Nabs No. 1 at Int'l Weekend Box Office With $16.5 Million

Paramount's much-anticipated Rango scored a No. 1 opening at the overseas box office but with a less-than-lofty gross of $16.5 million drawn from 3,815 screens in 33 markets.

No first-place box office title this year has logged an opening weekend gross of more than $27 million overseas. As a result, foreign box office for the six American majors through February collectively dipped 31% from 2010 (when Avatar was roaring through its offshore release).

A droll animation western directed by Gore Verbinski, with the title character voiced by Verbinski's Pirates of the Caribbean cohort Johnny Depp, Rango boasted of No. 1 openings in the U.K. and Ireland ($3.1 million from 472 locations), Mexico ($2.7 million from 511 venues), Spain ($1.9 million from 369 spots) and Argentina ($450,000 from 106 situations).

Overall, the Rango openings bested in many markets those of Megamind, a DreamWorks Animation title that Paramount opened overseas last Oct. 28, and which has accumulated a foreign gross total of $171.1 million so far. Rango, also the No. 1 domestic opener, bows this week in Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and Italy.
    'Rango' Nabs No. 1 at Int'l Weekend Box Office With $16.5 Million - The Hollywood Reporter

• Banned User

I knew I was experiencing deja vu

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

It was a good film, b kinda fin to see a sequel but i dont think we will

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I saw the movie- it's good, but not for little kids.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I liked it well enough that when it comes out on DVD I will most likely buy it.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    I saw the movie- it's good, but not for little kids.
    Yeah, it is weird to see an Animated movie made for adults, I mean Toy Story 3 is for EVERYONE but Rango is much more of a film for adults, once the film is on sale I'll get a copy best movie of the year for me so far.

• Banned User

This is a great animated flick which entertain to many people.there are lots of movie which has released at the same date but this is the final destination of every man.