Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: 'Jungle Cruise' Tom Hanks, Tim Allen set sail

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    We'll just have to see how it plays out, and see if it flies. If it does, GREAT! But if not, well, then maybe they need to rethink their casting practices, and cast according to the needs of the part, rather than casting according to whose agent can negotiate a better deal.
    Or in Disney's case, developing, greenlighting and casting their movies according to what their demographic research tells them, as they do with their theme parks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Absolutely, a well written story is the top priority.

Next in importance is a great cast with appeal. And yes, that includes (ooooo) "sex appeal". So, the jungle cruise movie does need someone that could make it to "People" magazine sexiest male/female list. So a younger male, and a younger female would need to be major characters in the movie. Heck, even with Johnny Depp in the Pirates movie, they wrote the story with a place for a younger couple that had appeal. The Jungle Cruise would be wise to follow a similar model. In fact with a Jungle Cruise movie, there may be room for even a wider variety of characters, than the first Pirates movie had.

Like I said before, Tom and Tim may be good for a villain role, minor role, or perhaps just a cameo appearance, but let's face it, neither one of them have the higher sexual appeal that Johnny Depp has, nor the youth appeal of Orlando and Keira. Nor would Tom and Tim be considered teen idols, anymore, (if they ever were). The main character for the Jungle Cruise movie just needs younger blood, and a younger sexier appeal, for a wider appeal, to a wider potential box office.

• Tour Guide

I really hope they jam pack the movie with jokes from the ride. I don't see how they could get away with not doing that, since they make up such an integral element. Just last weekend I lost a roll of 50 $20's wrapped in a red rubber band while standing in line and luckily one of the skippers found my rubber band.

• Minion

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking they aren't looking for this film to nail the family audience on "sex appeal." While they will likely bring in younger talent to be the teen son/daughter and love interest to ALSO ride on the boat, this film will be driven by the two leads. Those two leads have scored highly in family films in the past. I don't think you cast Tom Hanks to be a cameo, you cast Tom Hanks to help open your film. Tim Allen? Well, he'll ALSO be in the boat, and you bet they are looking at the pairing to say "the guys from Toy Story 3" are at it again, but this time, they are up a river, and they didn't bring a paddle.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

PL68, they aren't going to get Pirates numbers with the kind of film you're talking about. Turning HM into a "family" picture is what killed that movie. The teen son/teen daughter puppy love thing ain't gonna cut it for a Jungle Cruise movie. The "family" aspect killed the Country Bear movie, too. We've seen the panic stricken Tom Hanks character in too many movies. We don't need the same overused character that he's portrayed in endless movies. They really are driving this movie down the wrong road. They need to remember what they learned from Pirates, and remember the mistakes they made with Haunted Mansion.

Oh, and by the way, Tom Hanks did do a cameo for "Cars" for use in the end credits. He would be ok for a cameo, but beyond that, it's too much.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Yeah Toy Story 1, 2, and 3 aimed at family's just like this movie and look at where Disney is now....I see why they don't want to bring them back together....ohh wait All three of those movies did great...no sex appeal, just good old adventures with interesting characters, who wants to see that any more right?

Like Red Ridding Hood that looks good right put sexy people in a movie and it will sell...who cares if the movie sucks your get all those teens to see it once then not care in 6 months.....no Disney does not want to make this a family film those die off very quickly, I mean look at Mary Poppines she was SOOO hot I'm sure that's why the movie did well had nothing to do with the story.

I think people need to shop thinking about sex, money and ages and just watch good movies....if the movie is good then its good no matter who's in it. Don't judge a movie by the ages of the actors let the product of the movie be judged for its self in 2-3 years.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

There is difference in casting voice actors for animated movies, comparred to casting actors for a live action action adventure movie. And there is a difference today in what an audiences expects when they go see an action adventure movie, comparred to what they expect to see when they go to an animated feature.

Tim Allen has been in several live action Disney family friendly movies, but don't count on those type of movies to bring in the big bucks. And although Tim's other "Jungle" movie "Jungle to Jungle" was mediocre, we don't need him in another Disney "Jungle" titled movie. Even Tim's 1st Santa Clause movie came out over 15 years ago. As a lead character for movies Tom Hanks appeal was used also help Disney make a comeback Michael Eisner 1st came to Dsiney back in the late 80's with Splash, but that was over 20 years ago.

I can see Tim in several other future Disney movie's, but not the lead in a new series of action adventure movies, at this stage of the game. Tom Hanks might be right, for certain specific roles, but again, not for the lead hero of a new series of action adventure movies. And Tom's comedy roles, are getting to be rather boring. Newer fresher blood is what is needed in the the main lead character, to spark that excitement in a live action role. And Disney is going to expect this movie to bring in the large audiences. They aren't going to get that with a live action comedy film with Tim and Tom. But, there are a few talented actors out there that deserve a chance to be the next Indiana Jones, Hans Solo, or Captain Jack Sparrow.

This new series of movies will need someone with a creative spark to ignite the movie. Something new and fresh, and although Tim and Tom are good in certain roles, and certain types of characters, neither have really surprised us with their characters, recently. Both Tim and Tom's recent comedies have been rather boring. Disney can't risk a movie on boring. A much wiser choice for a lead character in the Jungle Cruise movie would be someone like James Marsden, who is proving himself to be a great comedic actor, and still fresh surprising take on his characters.

• Minion

James Marsden? Really? See this is why a discussion like this is useful... it proves again and again that it's about taste. We both toss reasons about why Tom or Tim might or might not be a good choice, and you find them boring as of late, I disagree, but that's the point it's a taset thing. You say James Marsden, and I see a number of comedies that failed on many levels, including box office. I'm merely suggesting that mature actors in the parts of MATURE characters doesn't seem like a bad idea. These two actors together could make something happen, but you'll suggest, yeah, but they aren't fresh enough. No, perhaps not, but one of the two has an exceptional track record, including oscars for acting and the other might be a perfect cranky boat skipper. You sound like you think they want TRANSFORMERS...they definately want big box office, but this doesn't sound like HUGE action...this sounds like THE JUNGLE CRUISE. If they turn it into something along the lines of HUGE ACTION, they have missed the boat.

Hmmmm many people think there is an age issue with Tom Hanks playing a dad of a young kid. Remember Stockard Channing was about 32/33 when she played an 18 year old Rizzo in Grease.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Hanks and Allen are the best combination.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Tom Hanks, Tim Allen Teaming Up for Live-Action 'Jungle Cruise' Film
    I gotta be honest, I'm finding it hard to get excited about this. But I'm gonna reserve judgement until I hear and see more.

I am not jumping for joy that they are even making a movie about the Jungle Cruise but they couldn't have picked two better actors to star in this movie. Tim Allen is hilarious and has done a wonderful job in all the movies and television he has done. Tom Hanks is extremely talented as well. Let's hope that they give them the material they need to make this movie worthwhile.

• Jessie: exuberent & fun!!

I see about a 50/50 margin between "I like how this was picked for the casting" and...the other option. I need you to read my post before continueing.

As a Toy Story fan, of age 12, with parents who are both 55 years of age, I think all these factors prove that these casting choices were made well. Disney is a very well-put-together company known mostly for their successes. If you have any problem with what I am trying to say right now, you would have a problem with anything said by someone you do not aggree with at any point in time. If I am not mistaken, people see movies and judge them. There are also a great number of people who have something against a movie before they see it. Tom Hanks has been in many great films, including the Toy Story trilogy, Big, Forrest Gump, and many others, and will always be a great actor. Tim Allen has also been in the Toy Story trilogy, as well as other great achievements, such as Home Improvement, Jungle 2 Jungle, and the Santa Clause movie series, and will always be a great actor. Just because they aren't some young hunks doesn't mean they should have a load of crap to judge them. You need to really think, and see the movie, to be able to tell if it's a good movie. Seeing a trailer online doesn't exactly count-sometimes, your computer acts like a fart and you have to stop and wait for your idiotic machine to work. So SEE THE MOVIE!!!
    Jessie is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fav part in 2 is:
    Buzz: clears throat)
    I just wanted to say you're a bright young woman with a beautiful "yarnful" of hair... er, "hairful" of yarn. It's...uh...woah. (clears throat) I must go!
    Jessie: Well, aren't you the sweetest space toy I ever met!
    Buster: (barking)
    Slinky: What's that? Bark, bark? Uh...this fellow says he needs to go out back for a little "private time"!
    Jessie: That critter needs help! (jumps on toy car) Yodle-ay-HEEE-HOOO!!!!!
    Buzz: (wings suddenly pop open)

Also, my fav part in 3 is:
    Jessie: turns on Spanish music)
    Buzz: involenterily starts dancing) I...I don't know what came over me!
    Jessie: goo-goo eyes) Just go with it, Buzz!
    (Then, they start doing the Paso Doble to a Spanish version of "You've Got a Friend in Me". Towards the end of the dance, Woody tosses Jessie a rose to catch in her mouth. It's awesome.)

Go to the EBHO threads!!! They need YOU!

• Circle of Ancients

Tom Hanks > Eddie Murphy ... this won't be another Haunted Mansion (I hope).

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Since 'Big' Hanks' acting career is mostly chock full of prestige directors and writers, same as with his position as the producer of such series as 'From the Earth to the Moon', 'Band of Brothers', 'John Adams' and 'The Pacific'. He's not where he is by accident.

Eddie Murphy has created a very different sphere around himself.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast