• Refugee from a island

Historical Movie Grosses by release date

I'm doing some research on Disney movies and I looking information on the box office gross by release. I am particularly interested in grosses from initial releases and not adjusted for inflation.

Anyone have any idea where I can find such information? Yeah, I know its probably in the Archive, but, the likelihood that I'll get into the Archive is probably less than zero.

Thanks

• Minion

Re: Historical Movie Grosses by release date

Leonard Maltin's "The Disney Films" contains a lot of those first release non-adjusted numbers.

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Leonard Maltin's "The Disney Films" contains a lot of those first release non-adjusted numbers.
    Thanks MJ, I saw that one on Amazon, but was able to see what was in it. I will be checking that one out.

Walt

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    I'm doing some research on Disney movies and I looking information on the box office gross by release. I am particularly interested in grosses from initial releases and not adjusted for inflation.

Anyone have any idea where I can find such information? Yeah, I know its probably in the Archive, but, the likelihood that I'll get into the Archive is probably less than zero.

Thanks
    For box office stats, Boxoffice — The Business of Movies, Box Office Mojo & Box Office Guru are always good for use.

• Refugee from a island

Thank JMora.

I've checked out some of these and found them lacking what I'm looking for...

I am particularly interested in the early movies and stats from when Walt was still live. I don't find that this info at these sites. But the information is still valuable, thanks.

• Minion

There is also an out-of-print book "Box Office Champs" by Eddie Dorman Kay (Portland House 1990) that lists the non-adjusted "top ten" box office winners for every year from 1939-1989 (not including subsequent reissues). If a Walt Disney movie made during that period fell into the top ten for the year it was released it's listed here - - an interesting view and quite different from other compilations that keep a running modern tally.

Example: "Box Office Champs" figures for 1961 (one of Walt's best years at the box-office):

1) Guns of Navarone (Columbia) 12.5m
    2) Exodus (United Artists) 10m
    3) The Parent Trap (Buena Vista) 9.3m
    4) The Absent-Minded Professor 9.1m
    5) The Alamo (UA) 8m
    6) Swiss Family Robinson (BV) 7.9m (released Christmas 1960)
    7) Come September (Universal) 7.5m
    8) The World of Suzie Wong (Paramount) 7.3m
    9) Gone With the Wind (MGM reissue) 6.7m
    10) 101 Dalmatians (BV) 6.4m

According to the text, Kay's figures were derived from original Variety and Motion Picture Almanac year-end figures sources (which could often be found in bound collections at older periodicals libraries -- to get the many Walt titles outside the top ten if Leonard doesn't list that figure in "The Disney Films" -- which he mostly does).
    Last edited by merlinjones; 03-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.