Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You could make the same arguement about seeing a Movie in a theatre... you can not pay as much and see it at home and it's the same film, same actors, etc. But that doesn't mean the theatre experience adds nothing just because you have an alternative.

I'm not saying you must love 3d or find it worthwhile in Potter - but the blanket claims really aren't applicable.

The problem is the film should really be shot with it in mind to make the most of it.. just like how the director considers light, field of view, etc, etc.
    Movies are made for Theaters.....or at last thats my understanding from people I know that go to USC.....could be wrong

And I think 3D is stupid compared to anything having to do with Picture Size (being filmed in Imax) or sound quality, I don't see how its sooo important if every other thing in a film is higher than it and most people dont like it.....I mean heck 3D is a gimmick have you not read all the articles talking about why 3D was made way back when? It was to get more ticket sales and same thing as with whats happening now, it has nothing to do with enhancing film as a media or an art, its just about the money....making it a gimmick

• Minion

I didn't say that. I said it's part of the complete production which CONTRIBUTES to the final product - I never said anything about the story. And what the academy chooses to recognize really means little. What makes a good film is the result - not what a consortium celebrates. That's like saying something isn't music or good because it doesn't have a grammy category.

The point is simply just because it's not the leading aspect of why you go see a film or if the film can be see without it - it doesn't make it worthless.

There is tons of technology that one would dismiss with such flawed logic... different color processes.. 2.35 aspect ratio... 70mm film.. digital audio... etc etc.
    except that none of those are bad for your health in the long run 3D is.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I mean heck 3D is a gimmick have you not read all the articles talking about why 3D was made way back when? It was to get more ticket sales and same thing as with whats happening now, it has nothing to do with enhancing film as a media or an art, its just about the money....making it a gimmick
    As were many technologies you take for granted in films and theatre experience. Many of these theatre technologies are there to bring you INTO THE THEATRE.. instead of going to the competition (home theatre, another film, etc).

I'm not saying 3D is great - but find a solid position to slam it from (like the light intensity issue) or the population that can't enjoy it comfortably, etc... not junk that doesn't hold any water.

---------- Post added 08-02-2011 at 09:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    except that none of those are bad for your health in the long run 3D is.
    Know what... you're hurting your health way more staring at your computer monitor then any 'health risk' from 3D films. Or standing outside in the sun..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

As were many technologies you take for granted in films and theatre experience. Many of these theatre technologies are there to bring you INTO THE THEATRE.. instead of going to the competition (home theatre, another film, etc).

I'm not saying 3D is great - but find a solid position to slam it from (like the light intensity issue) or the population that can't enjoy it comfortably, etc... not junk that doesn't hold any water.

---------- Post added 08-02-2011 at 09:21 AM ----------

Know what... you're hurting your health way more staring at your computer monitor then any 'health risk' from 3D films. Or standing outside in the sun..
    Well I stay with calling it a gimmick since your position really holds nothing for me either just you saying "your taking it for granted" has no proof of how it is good for movies BESIDES money. But lets just agree to disagree since neither of us are going to move on the issue

Back on topic I say Harry Potter last night in Imax 3D and I loved the Big Screen and amazing sound but the 3D was not really there at all REALLY wish they'd just had the 2D version but movie wise I liked ti better the second time!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have never seen a 3-D movie. I am perfectly fine with just watching a movie the normal way. It does seem that they are offering movie goers more movies in 3-D. nowadays.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I have never seen a 3-D movie. I am perfectly fine with just watching a movie the normal way. It does seem that they are offering movie goers more movies in 3-D. nowadays.
    I think this might be the extreme understatement of the year.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

honestly I think the final 3 films of the series have been lacking compared with potter's early years. I've found each new installment since order of the phoenix to move further away from the adventure storylines of the first films, and feature less and less of the heroes journey which was so prevalent at the start of the series. As such, I found the ending unclimatic, the build up was there, and each film alluded to the greatness coming, but just failed to get there in the end.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• Circle of Ancients

The biggest thing I have against 3D is this (besides it sucking and hurting my eyes).

There is a television commercial about 3D TV being the "next innovation" or something like that.

It starts off with Radio, then Black and White TV, then Color TV and then HDTV and finally 3DTV.

The problem with the commercial is, IMO, it sounds like a money grab (which it is).

Radio was an innovation, as was B&W TV, Color TV and HDTV. If you looked at them all on a timeline you would see a tremendous gap between them. Why? Because going to the next step took true and inspired "Innovation".

The timeline between HDTV and 3DTV is what, 10 years at most?

It's an attempt for the studios and TV Manufacturers to make more $$. Thankfully, I don't think 3D TV's have really caught on yet but that doesn't stop studios (like Disney) from cramming 3D Blu Rays into standard releases.

One could say the same thing about the innovation from DVD to Blu Ray, but in actuality, DVD was made for standard Def TV and Blu Ray is made for High-Def. I was anti Blu-Ray until I saw what it can do. 3D doesn't actually "do" anything.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The shortening cycle has more to do with the increased speed of technology and ability to push prices down with manufacturing advances.

It's the underlying technologies that held things back... but now that we are all digital and have such crazy volumes... the lifecycle of technology is increasingly shorter. With cheaper prices, its easier to replace a previous generation.

I don't think the timelines between changes had anything to do with how 'improved' the next gen was.. more a bellweather of the speed and lifecycle of electronics and manufacturing.

I mean look at MP3 players... what differentiates the products of today vs CD players before it? Nothing to do with music or encoding really.. simply advancements in memory chips (not specific to mp3 players) and battery technology (again, not specific to mp3 players).

Same with TV.. it was the advancement of digital signal processing and chip power that enabled and sped up the move from analog television to DTV.

Same with stereo ->5.1 ->7.1 etc. It's not the ability to do it cheaply and in scale is what enables the product traction.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011