• Banned User

Dragonslayer (1981)

In a era of the 70s/80s, when the Disney company was in limbo (not having any great successes in film or theme park industry), there film department heavily invested in making live-action films. Besides The Black Hole, The Watcher in the Woods, Tron, Popeye or Condorman. Disney took another heavy risk with Dragonslayer (co-production with Paramount). Besides it's pace, it's actually one of the best fantasy-dragon films of Hollywood, and it really captures the Dark Ages very well with a solid acting.

Sadly, the critics and audience at that time didn't like it besides me, and some few then. When it originally came out back in the summer of 1981, it was a box office flop. Since Disney was behind it as well, the company got a lot heat. Especially from parents but true. It's not every Disney film that you see dragon pups eating (graphically showing) a dead girl with blood pouring out for lunch. Maybe that's why I like it, and I also believe Walt himself would had approved. It's considered one of the most mature of Disney films since the true era of Disney classic's like, say Old Yeller.

Like any good underrated films, it grew a cult following and remains a top favorite among the genre of adventure/fantasy films, I know it is for me. The special effects still look amazing, even in today's CGI era, and proves that old Hollywood magic looks more convincing then CGI (when made well).

I totally agree with Guillermo del Toro, which he stated that along with Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty, Vermithrax is his favorite cinematic dragon. “One of the best and one of the strongest landmarks (of dragon movies) that almost nobody can overcome is Dragonslayer."

It's funny and sad, Disney seems so embarrassed by this film, the Disney logo and name is hardly seen on remade posters, home-video graphics and fine prints. Disney is so desperate to attract a male crowd, maybe they should give Dragonslayer a reboot as a killer E-ticket attraction, and as a inside industry joke, burn Harry Potter (like how Universal has a Mickey Mouse hat in the JP ride).
    Last edited by JMora; 03-25-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Re: Dragonslayer (1981)

I loved this movie! I saw it at the theatre. But, OMG, I feel old; the movie came out 30 years ago!

• Pilot EdForceOne

watched it all the time
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Know who was President and CEO of Paramount Studios at the time this was made? Michael Eisner.

To be perfectly honest, since this was a co-production, like many co-productions over the years*, this film came to be identified with just one studio; in this case, the film is known more as a Paramount Picture than a Disney Picture. So it's understandable that any Disney branding be muted.

*Titanic, which was a 20th Century-Fox/Paramount Pictures co-production, is more identified with 20th than Paramount; 1941, which was a Universal/Columbia co-production, is more identified with Universal.

• Missing my AP

One of my favorites. Introduced it to my kids this year. Compared to more recent dragon related movies it's pretty slow but it has a feeling of realism that is beyond any of the newer stuff.
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

• Circle of Ancients

LOVE this movie!!!

• secure all cargo

Great movie! Used to have a kids picture book of it. I think it got sold at one of my parents garage sales unfortunately.