• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Believe It or Not: Tim Burton & Jim Carrey

Carrey & Burton Teaming on Ripley Pic
    Source: Variety
    November 29, 2005

Jim Carrey will topline and Tim Burton will direct Paramount Pictures' action-adventure film based on the exploits of Robert Ripley, the explorer and newspaper columnist who created "Ripley's Believe It or Not."

Variety reports that the studio expects to begin production on the film, titled Believe It or Not!, in London in October for a late 2007 release.

Carrey, who'll next be seen starring in Fun with Dick and Jane, will squeeze in two movies before reporting to the Ripley set. He'll next star for Joel Schumacher in the New Line thriller Number 23 opposite Elisabeth Shue, and then he will star with Ben Stiller in the Jay Roach-directed Used Guys for 20th Century Fox.

The trade says the studio courted Burton and Carrey for several months. Once Burton came clear of "The Corpse Bride," he sparked to the idea of doing the script with Carrey.

The film is scripted by Burton's Ed Wood writers Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander. The duo also worked with Carrey on the Andy Kaufman biopic Man on the Moon.

New project picks up Ripley at a time when he has attained celebrity status through a "Believe It or Not" column that chronicled his search for the greatest oddities on the planet. Along the way, he learns to appreciate his unusual human discoveries as more than mere conquests to be catalogued.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Re: Believe It or Not: Tim Burton & Jim Carrey

Jim Carrey back in action this should be interesting. Also I love it that Tim Burton is making this film. I just enjoy both of these actors and don't want to over analyze this before it comes out.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Infinitized!

If I had it my way I would've put Jim Carrey in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as Willy Wonka, and I would've put Johnny Depp in the Ripley flick.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

^ make the call!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Both Carrey and Depp are great actors in their own right. IMO Carrey would have done a excellent job for sure. Both have the talent to contort themselves into the character. I rather enjoyed Depp because he can lose himself in the character.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Huh?

Not sure if Carrey is the best choice for Robert L. Ripley, though... his character doesn't quite match Ripley for one thing -- Depp's Ed Wood is a lot closer to Ripley than anything I've seen Carrey do so far.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Carrey & Burton Teaming on Ripley Pic
    Source: Variety
    November 29, 2005

Jim Carrey will topline and Tim Burton will direct Paramount Pictures' action-adventure film based on the exploits of Robert Ripley, the explorer and newspaper columnist who created "Ripley's Believe It or Not."

Variety reports that the studio expects to begin production on the film, titled Believe It or Not!, in London in October for a late 2007 release.

Carrey, who'll next be seen starring in Fun with Dick and Jane, will squeeze in two movies before reporting to the Ripley set. He'll next star for Joel Schumacher in the New Line thriller Number 23 opposite Elisabeth Shue, and then he will star with Ben Stiller in the Jay Roach-directed Used Guys for 20th Century Fox.

The trade says the studio courted Burton and Carrey for several months. Once Burton came clear of "The Corpse Bride," he sparked to the idea of doing the script with Carrey.

The film is scripted by Burton's Ed Wood writers Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander. The duo also worked with Carrey on the Andy Kaufman biopic Man on the Moon.

New project picks up Ripley at a time when he has attained celebrity status through a "Believe It or Not" column that chronicled his search for the greatest oddities on the planet. Along the way, he learns to appreciate his unusual human discoveries as more than mere conquests to be catalogued.
    Sounds pretty cool to me.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• R.I.P. Mandy

Interesting.
    Introducing- The Geek Tutorial! The new informational webseries on computers and the geekiness of life.

Screw eHarmony- I met my soulmate at Star Trek: The Experience.

Random funny exchange from Star Trek: The Experience:

BF: "If you take any photos on the attraction, we will shoot you with a phaser."
    Guest: "On stun?"
    BF: "Maybe....."
    Me: "I wouldn't trust him."