Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Great article about the 3D scam being perpetrated by the studios!!!

Stop being duped by the 3D scam | TechRepublic

Last Friday, I departed from my normal business technology beat to talk about the geek entertainment event Game of Thrones. This week Iím going to plug into our Friday Geekend theme again, but this time the topic is something more nefarious ó the entertainment industryís misguided scam of the public.

The 3D gimmick has sadly infiltrated movies and television and is now threatening to infect video games and smartphones as well. Thereís only one reason why the entertainment industry keeps relentlessly pushing this at consumers ó itís a transparent attempt to bleed more money out of people. And, while a lot of consumers have caught on to the scam, not everyone is doing enough to stop it.

3D is definitely NOT about innovation, as the industry would like you to believe. In fact, adding the current 3D effects to a movie or video of any kind subtracts from the picture. It muddies the colors and unsharpens the images, and it has to slow down the action shots because it makes people sick if things go too fast in 3D. In fact, optometrists estimate that up to 25% of people get headaches or nausea from simply watching 3D at all.

y first hint at the 3D scam was in October 2009 when Toy Story and Toy Story 2 were re-released in the theaters as 3D movies. My kids were excited to see Toy Story on the big screen for the first time so we gladly ponied up the extra money to see the 3D version of the double feature. We werenít very far into the first movie before I realized that the quality of the colors and images were actually worse in 3D. That was a big disappointment. Even my kids said that the 3D wasnít as exciting as they thought it would be. There went an extra $24 down the drain ($3 extra for 3D for four people for two movies).

Of course, the Toy Story movies were standard 2D movies that were converted to 3D (which is actually the way most ď3DĒ movies are still handled). So, what about movies that are natively shot with special 3D cameras, such as Avatar? Iíll admit that when I first saw Avatar in the theaters I was impressed at how well it wove in the 3D effects. But, my admiration wore off once I saw it on Blu-ray on a 240Hz LED TV and quickly realized that all of the colors and action shots suddenly came to life and really popped off the screen. Thatís when it fully dawned on me what a horrible scam 3D really is. They are making us pay more money for a gimmicky, inferior experience. Sure, there are a few neat moments in most 3D movies, but the novelty wears very off quickly and itís certainly not worth the trade-off in picture quality or action sequences.

I had started to see this coming a little sooner, and I should have pounced on it. Back at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show, I was dazzled by the new LED TVs that Samsung showed off at its big press conference. The images were so sharp and the colors were so bright that the picture almost felt three dimensional. Plus the TV themselves were amazingly thin.

The next year, at CES 2010, I was surprised to see all of the TV manufacturers including Samsung pushing TVs with 3D glasses. I immediately felt like this was a step backward. I didnít want to mess around with watching TV with 3D glasses. I wanted to see more super thin TVs with amazing pictures (at even better prices) like the ones I had seen the year before. After consumers rejected 3D TVs in 2010, the companies tried to come back at CES 2011 and pitch ďno glassesĒ 3D. I wanted to shake my head and do a face-palm every time one of these electronics vendors mentioned 3D.

This is a bad detour for the entertainment and electronics industries, and they stubbornly refuse to let it die. In fact, they keep trying to push 3D on us, since many of these new products have been in planning for a year or two (before consumers started catching on to the 3D scam). The movie industry and movie theaters try to force us to only be able to watch some of their top movies in 3D (and pay extra for it). TV makers are forcing 3D into all of their new top-of-the-line LED TVs (and trying to make us to pay extra for it). Content companies are now making their Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy bundles include 3D discs (and trying to make us pay extra for it).

Game companies such as Nintendo are integrating gimmicky 3D into their new systems. Mobile computing vendors such as HTC and LG are even trying to put 3D into their smartphones and tablets.

Thereís only one way to stop the madness. Avoid 3D whenever possible.
    So what do you all think? A fan of 3D? Think it's really "innovative"?

Personally, I avoid 3D movies at all costs hoping that someday soon more people will stop paying the extra $$ for a worse movie experience.

• Infinitized!

Re: Great article about the 3D scam being perpetrated by the studios!!!

And this is... new? I already found out that the colours in 3D aren't as good way back in 1986 when I saw my first 3D IMAX movie at Expo 86 in Vancouver. The novelty is ok, as long as they give us the option of seeing a movie in 2D as well.

I like 3D, personally. Yes the colors are less intense and it's overall less sharp, but you're trading that off for 3D ... The mist screens in WoC or F! aren't as clear as traditional projections on flat surfaces either, but it's an experience thing. I certainly don't think it's a scam anymore than charging more for any different experience is.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Maybe the guy should be slamming the implementation of 3D vs 3D itself.

I get that the studios wanted something to bring people back to the theatre instead of the couch. That's fine.

Paying more for it? Ok as an new and unique thing - not ok as an established thing.

I have zero interest in paying for it for home.
    I have zero interest in someone trying to do it on my 20-odd inch PC monitor.

If people want to give it away and its here if you want it.. fine. But I really get more tired of all the 3D hating instead of just 'speaking with your pocket book'.

I would get it if people only started showing 3D with it's negatives... but that's the beauty of the open market. If there is enough demand for non-3D someone will recognize it and capitalize on it... and balance will eventually be returned to the universe
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Infinitized!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

3D movies officially turn me off. If they aren't showing it in 2d, I won't see it.

• Banned User

So, does that mean he will be skipping the Disneyland premiere? LOL

• Banned User

It's really not the theaters, it's the film studios fault + for those wondering...

This film was filmed for...

the true IMAX 3D experience =) As was Pirates 4 (normal 3D anyway), the same CAN'T be said for these films...

Captain America
    Green Lantern
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
    Priest
    Spy Kids 4
    The Cabin in the Woods
    The Green Hornet
    The Smurfs
    Thor

Source: Is it Real or Fake 3D?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Here is the thing I would AVOID every 3D movie if I could but Imax is ALWAYS in 3D so I have no choice but to see Potter in anything but 3D.....now for Cars 2, Thor, Captain America and Transformers I want them in 2D really could care less, if you want to go waste your money have at it.

• Circle of Ancients

Transformers 3 could be 10D and it wouldn't make it any better.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Here is the thing I would AVOID every 3D movie if I could but Imax is ALWAYS in 3D so I have no choice but to see Potter in anything but 3D.....now for Cars 2, Thor, Captain America and Transformers I want them in 2D really could care less, if you want to go waste your money have at it.
    If there was ever a movie for summer 2011 meant to give birth to a 3D experience? It's Transformers 3! For those people who were handicapped when they were kids and couldn't transform the toys back in da day, and needed to know how they transformed in Bay's eyes. What better way to show those inanimate people how... Not only how they function, transform but win a battle in a physical universe of 3D?

Transformers 3 was deliberately intended to be filmed in true IMAX 3D experience, just like Avatar was! Bay used not only PACE 3D Cameras but also new Arri Alexa cameras. Camera models that were used for Avatar but newer editions. No lie! As for Cars 2, boring. Who cares about cars going around a ring under a spy mission. The original film only made $461,983,149 world-wide (Cars (2006) - Box Office Mojo). It didn't even break the $300 mark in the U.S. alone! Out of all Pixar films, Cars was the most tedious film, ever! Give me Fast 5 any day! That film should had been in 3D!!!

As for Captain America, it's fake 3D, it was "converted." If Chris Evans was fully nude in the film, I would think twice about seeing it in fake-3D =) Same goes for Thor, I hated the comic book anyway.

All hats off for...

...what's not to like to see in 3D here? When you see Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in 3D, Bay has made an "exclusive" trailer to be attached with that film, and you will forget a film called Avatar =) Hell, James Cameron even visted Bay in post-production to see how well the new Arri Alexa cameras have become since the production of Avatar, and was impressed.

PS the Chicago war battle and the crashing building are not the MONEY SHOTS!
    Last edited by JMora; 05-05-2011 at 11:19 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^see the difference is Avatar was in a another World, Transformers in on Earth, If i want 3D I walk outside. Plus the way Bay does his action scenes there is already too much on the screen at once I don't need the 3D distracting me.

If you want 3D go see it, as long as I don't HAVE to see films in 3D They can stay around and help Thor and Captain America get some extra dough to make more Marvel Movies. I'm just not a fan of 3D after seeing Toy Story 3 in both 2D and then 3D....it added nothing for the price and the colors were more faded, just not my thing

• Circle of Ancients

^^ Do you have some kind of investment in Transformers 3? Or you just like sequels to crappy movies?

But seriously, the only movie to "Wow" me on 3D was Avatar ... so much so I got duped into thinking the movie was actually good.

When I saw it at home, I actually thought it looked BETTER on Blu-Ray because it wasn't about the spectacle, it was very colorful and vibrant. 3D takes away from this.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I don't but I'll most likely see it in my local 3 Dollar theater worth that hopefully.

• Not on the Jedi Council

I have a lazy eye, so while I can see 3D,my eyes have to work at it.

I agree with the article 100% though, and I try to avoid the 3D premium most of the time. The only time I'll submit is when I am with friends, coz I don't want to sound like a freak on the subject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast