• Banned User

Maleficent (2012)

Disney live-action looks to be in trouble...
    Tim Burton has moved off of Maleficent, the Disney fantasy that would have teamed him with Angelina Jolie.

Maleficent is Disney’s live-action take on Sleeping Beauty, telling the fairy tale from the point of view of the evil witch who threatened to kill the princess. Disney years ago put a name to the witch, who had gone anonymous in the various tellings. Since then, the green-skinned queen of evil who morphs into a dragon has become one of the most popular Disney villains of all time.

Burton was only loosely attached to the project but his involvement was significant enough that last year the studio hired Burton's Alice in Wonderland collaborator Linda Woolverton, who also wrote Disney’s The Lion King, to pen the script. The project is being developed as a starring vehicle for Jolie.

Disney is not about to put Maleficent into a suspended-animation sleep. The studio is now on the hunt for a new director. One of the names that has surfaced in the early search is David Yates, who helmed the past four Harry Potter movies.

And Burton hasn’t left Disney. He's currently working on the feature-length stop-motion version of his 1984 short Frankenweenie. The movie is due for release on Oct. 5, 2012.
    Source: Tim Burton Won't Direct Disney's 'Maleficent' (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

• Sock Puppet

Blog Entries

Re: Maleficent (2012)

Honestly, I was SO excited for this when Tim Burton was a part of it. But, David Yates is great - I love what he has done on Harry Potter. But wow, am I disappointed about Tim Burton

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Things have been fairly quiet since the story first broke:
    1/19/10
    http://micechat.com/forums/movies/13...d-threads.html

Now with Burton out, other A-List DGA members are still jockeying for the chair. the most recent is an interesting alternative. Once best known as the director punched by 'Three Kings' star George Clooney for harassing extras on the set David O. Russell bounced back with seven Oscar nominations for last year's 'The Fighter' including Best Picture and Director. Christian Bale and Melissa Leo took home Oscars in the Best Supporting categories for the film.

David O. Russell has surfaced as one of the directors circling Disney’s fantasy Maleficent, from scribe Linda Woolverton.

Angelina Jolie has long been attached to star as the titular character in the event pic.

Tim Burton exited the project earlier this year, opening up the director’s spot. Russell is among those now being considered to helm the pic, but insiders stressed there are other names in the mix as well.

Maleficent is a live-action version of the Sleeping Beauty story, told from the point of view of the evil witch.

Russell's calendar opened up when he parted ways last month with Columbia Pictures, where he was attached to direct Unchartered Drake's Fortune, based on the popular video game. Russell, who wrote a draft of the script for Unchartered, told THR Monday night at a charity benefit that the split was over creative differences.
    David O. Russell Circling Disney's 'Maleficent' - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

It sounds to me that what Disney is trying to do is make their own version of Wicked.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Banned User

Disney, are you reading this?

Asked by the LA Times about the idea of directing the film, Guillermo del Toro said

Let me put it this way, if they ask I’ll take the meeting… I think Maleficent’s dragon is the only design with the wings separate from the front legs, the only time that design has ever worked. And let me tell you how much of a fan I am… It’s one of my three favorite Disney films. I would love to. But I don’t want to put too many hopes on it. They’re probably on a fast track and I cannot take any more projects on a fast track.