• Banned User

Jeff Conaway in a coma after apparent OD

Jeff Conaway in a coma after apparent OD
    Former 'Taxi' star 'is unresponsive at this time,' rep says

Another sad turn of events for a former Celebrity Rehab patient.

Jeff Conaway is in critical condition at an Encino hospital after an apparent overdose, the actor's rep confirmed to E! News Wednesday.

"He is in a coma and unresponsive at this time," said manager Phil Brock.

Family members have been in and out of the hospital waiting for news, Brock said, adding, "He turned his head two days ago, but nothing since."

There is no word on whether or not doctors expect Conaway to wake up.

The former "Taxi" star, who also played bad-boy Kenickie in "Grease," has been plagued by health problems in recent years, including a bad fall a year ago that occurred when he was under the influence of methadone and OxyContin.

There is no word on what he may have OD'd on today.

He left "Taxi" in 1982 and worked in television throughout the 1980s and '90s, including a starring stint on "Babylon 5."

In 2008, Conaway joined "Celebrity Rehab," where he opened up about his longtime addictions to cocaine, painkillers and alcohol.

Man, I hope he makes it through this. Poor guy.

• Shifting cargo

Re: Jeff Conaway in a coma after apparent OD

I'm not sure how reputable TV Guide is but it reports that he may be taken off of life support.

As sad as his downward spiral is, I don't feel sorry for him. I have little sympathy for people who know all of the dangerous and lethal repercussions of drugs and continue to do them. He sought help, he had the love and support of his family and friends, and he still continued to take drugs. That was his own decision. Overcoming addictions is possible and he obviously didn't try hard enough or care enough. Still a sad story, though.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• What Time Taught Us

Quote Originally Posted by RedHandedJill View Post
    I'm not sure how reputable TV Guide is but it reports that he may be taken off of life support.

As sad as his downward spiral is, I don't feel sorry for him. I have little sympathy for people who know all of the dangerous and lethal repercussions of drugs and continue to do them. He sought help, he had the love and support of his family and friends, and he still continued to take drugs. That was his own decision. Overcoming addictions is possible and he obviously didn't try hard enough or care enough. Still a sad story, though.
    sorry, jill, I disagree with you entirely. I'm a little shocked you would make a judgement like that. do you have any experience with addiction? because if you do, it differs greatly from mine.

everything I've grown to understand about it is this: overcoming addiction is not possible. it will hang over you for your entire life, no matter how long you stay clean/sober. it's completely ridiculous to imply this was a choice he made, as if there's any logic to it. addiction doesn't work that way. yes, with extreme will power and support, you can move toward recovery. that doesn't mean "cured." addiction is all consuming, and it doesn't take much at all for someone years into sobriety to plunge back to rock bottom.

that's not to say that it's impossible to stay clean. of course it is. however, it's a whole lot more complicated than not caring, or not trying hard enough.

honestly, I'm don't even really know who this is, but I'm very sorry for him and his family.

• Shifting cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    sorry, jill, I disagree with you entirely. I'm a little shocked you would make a judgement like that. do you have any experience with addiction? because if you do, it differs greatly from mine.

everything I've grown to understand about it is this: overcoming addiction is not possible. it will hang over you for your entire life, no matter how long you stay clean/sober. it's completely ridiculous to imply this was a choice he made, as if there's any logic to it. addiction doesn't work that way. yes, with extreme will power and support, you can move toward recovery. that doesn't mean "cured." addiction is all consuming, and it doesn't take much at all for someone years into sobriety to plunge back to rock bottom.

that's not to say that it's impossible to stay clean. of course it is. however, it's a whole lot more complicated than not caring, or not trying hard enough. I'm very sorry if I offended you, Spy. I really am.

honestly, I'm don't even really know who this is, but I'm very sorry for him and his family.
    You know Spy, I'd never thought of it or seen it in that way. I've never known an addict or had first-hand experience with it. I dealt with another illness for four years but the two are very different. I do take back what I said about having no sympathy.

• Miss Teen Scene of 2010

They had already taken him off of life support I read. Died at the age of 60 from pneumonia and blood disease.

• Infinitized!

RIP. He was part of a great ensemble cast in Taxi.

• Banned User

• Shifting cargo

RIP. You'll always be Kenickie from Grease.

• What Time Taught Us

Quote Originally Posted by RedHandedJill View Post
    I'm very sorry if I offended you, Spy. I really am.
    it's okay, Jill, no hard feelings.

sorry to hear he died after all. RIP.