• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

‘POTC 4’ 4th-Biggest Worldwide Debut Ever

Disney’s ‘Pirates’ $346 Million Opening
    Fourth-Biggest Worldwide Debut Ever
    at Weekend Box Office

The Johnny Depp tentpole smashes records overseas, where it earns $256.3 million to become top international debut of all time; bows to a softer $90.1 million in North America

Fueled by foreign moviegoers, Disney’s 3D Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides opened to $346.4 million at the worldwide box office to grab the fourth-best global bow of all time, as well as the biggest international opening ever.

On Stranger Tides grossed a massive $256.3 million overseas, nearly three times the $90.1 million earned in North America.

Disney had hoped for a $100 million opening at the domestic box office but took solace in the fact that On Stranger Tides still scored the top debut of the year (Universal’s Fast Five was the previous crown-holder with $86.2 million). Tracking had always suggested that the movie would open in the $80 million to $100 million range domestically.
    Thanks to the 3D tentpole, domestic box-office revenue was up 12 percent from a year ago.

On Stranger Tides was an expensive proposition for Disney, costing $250 million to produce before a hefty marketing spend.

The movie’s stellar opening overseas reinforces the glowing clout of the international box office, where On Stranger Tides came in ahead of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($236 million), Spider-Man 3 ($230.5 million) and the previous Pirates film, At World’s End ($216 million).

Those three movies all opened north of $100 million domestically, so in terms of global grosses, they still pace ahead of On Stranger Tides in terms of best overall opening. Half-Blood Prince opened to $393 million, Spider-Man 3 with $381 million and At World’s End to $357 million.

In North America, At World's End debuted to $114.7 million in May 2007, well more than the $90.1 million grossed by On Stranger Tides.

Domestically, On Stranger Tides drew a B+ CinemaScore rating, indicating that moviegoers liked the film despite generally poor reviews. The majority of Friday’s audience was older than 25 (54 percent), and 54 percent were male. Couples made up 53 percent.
    full article at:
    Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: ‘POTC 4’ 4th-Biggest Worldwide Debut Ever

Congrats to Disney Studios! I haven't seen it for myself yet but it's always nice to know that the rest of the world are fans too.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Just goes to prove that if you put out a great product people come out to the theater! The 4th film was great and in my opinion the best since the first film.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Pirates' Beats 'Panda' and 'Hangover' Foreign Debuts with Another $122.8 Million
    'On Stranger Tides' followed up its record-breaking overseas opening with another No. 1 finish and upped its current foreign total to $470.8 million.

DreamWorks Animation’s Kung Fu Panda and Warner Bros.’ Hangover sequels opened strongly the foreign theatrical circuit but the weekend’s No. 1 box office crown went once again to Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

The fourth sequel in producer Jerry Bruckheimer’s fantasy-action franchise captured $122.8 million – a 48% drop from the film’s record-setting opening surge ($260.4 million) last round. Total foreign box office so far comes to $470.8 million, more than three times its domestic gross ($152.9 million).
    On Stranger Tides reached the $600 million worldwide box office mark in just 12 days with a accumulated total of $623.7 million, making the sequel 2011’s biggest-grossing title globally.

The film’s foreign gross total has already surpassed that of the franchise original, 2003’s Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, which racked up $352.9 million.
    Box Office Report: 'Pirates' Beats 'Panda' and 'Hangover' Foreign Debuts with Another $122.8 Million - The Hollywood Reporter

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Savy?!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Infinitized!

Great! Bring on Pirates 5!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

On Stranger Tides” earns the same amount in 12 days as the franchise’s 2007 installment,
    “At World’s End.”

Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides crossed the $600 million mark at the worldwide box office on Sunday, matching the industry record for speed set by the last Pirates film.

Both On Stranger Tides and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End reached $600 million in only 12 days.

On Stranger Tides is expected to finish the Memorial Day weekend with a global cume of $649.1 million, and continues to be a massive player overseas, where it set an international record in crossing the $300 million plateau only in six days.
    The film’s foreign cume through Monday is an estimated $485.1 million—nearly three times its domestic total of $164 million.

Much of that has to do with the booming appetite for 3D titles in markets led by Russia, China, India and Brazil (the BRIC countries). On Stranger Tides is already the top grossing Disney title of all time in Russia and China, earning $49.8 million and $44.2 million, respectively.

Conversely, there’s been a sudden dip in 3D attendance in the U.S., where moviegoers might be reacting to the extra charge for seeing a film in 3D. During Pirate’s opening weekend, only 46% of the gross came from 3D screens (of which 9% came from Imax screens). The indusry standard has been 55% to 65%.

Disney

• Cars Land Rocks!

Conversely, there’s been a sudden dip in 3D attendance in the U.S., where moviegoers might be reacting to the extra charge for seeing a film in 3D. During Pirate’s opening weekend, only 46% of the gross came from 3D screens (of which 9% came from Imax screens). The indusry standard has been 55% to 65%.
    I haven't seen the film yet, but I will be one of those NOT seeing the movie in 3D.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Nice, I hope to see it soon.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

the 3d was irritating

As much as I'd like to see this movie, I just wont pay the extra for 3-D and since its only being offered in 3-D in my city, I will wait for the DVD.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' Sails Past $700 Mil Mark

Setting an industry record for speed, Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides sailed past the $700 million mark at the worldwide box office on Friday, its 16th day in release.

The pic's international cume now stands at $536.7 million, while it has grossed $172.2 million in North America. The global total is $708.9 million.

On Stranger Tides has done especially good business in countries where 3D is thriving, such as Russia and China.

The franchise installment is easily the top-grossing movie of the year at the global box office. Universal's Fast Five ranks No. 2 at $547.2 million.
    Box Office Report: 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' Sails Past $700 Mil Mark - The Hollywood Reporter