Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Box Office

• Banned User

Re: Box Office

Read the fine print!
    Box office report: 'Captain America' stands proud with $65.8 million; 'Harry Potter' plummets, still huge

by Grady Smith
    Categories: Box Office, Captain America: The First Avenger, Harry Potter, Horrible Bosses, Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis, Movie Biz, Transformers

Image Credit: Jay Maidment/Marvel Studios

This weekend, Captain America: The First Avenger was on a quest to avenge the disappointing box office results of recent superhero movies like X-Men: First Class and Green Lantern, and according to weekend estimates, it looks like Cappy has succeeded! The patriotic

Paramount/Marvel tentpole earned a strong $65.8 million this weekend, bettering the opening of Thor, which hammered out $65.7 million during its debut in May. (Let’s wait for final numbers on Monday before we declare this the best superhero opening of the summer.) Captain America wasn’t a weakling in the per theater average department, either, as it found a terrific $17,719 at each of its 3,715 locations. Only 40 percent of the opening figure came from 3D screens, though—yet another low number for the format.

Audiences, which were 64 percent male, liked the film quite a bit, issuing Captain a nice “A-” Cinemascore grade (comparatively, Thor and X-Men: First Class both earned a “B+”, while Green Lantern earned a “B”), and the positive reception should help the $140 million action film stick around at the box office. As Chris Evans recently suggested in EW’s Comic-Con suite, the fate of the
    Avengers
    franchise was sort of resting on Captain America‘s success this weekend, so those involved with the film must be breathing a huge sigh of relief today. Granted, the real test will be seeing how the film holds up in the weeks to come, but it’s certainly off to strong start. Gotta love capitalism!

In second, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—Part 2 dropped by a gigantic 72 percent (a hefty drop was all-but guaranteed after last weekend’s record-breaking numbers), but it still pulled in a a strong $48.1 million, pushing its ten-day total to $274.2 million. The wizard flick is on track to surpass Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone‘s $317.6 million tally to become the highest grossing Potter film, even though it’s falling quite fast. Where’s Dumbledore to cast Aresto Momentum when you need him? Still, Warner Brothers isn’t sweating—the Potter finale has already conjured up $836.4 million around the world, and $1 billion is a sure thing.
    Summer Movies: Get the latest news, photos, and more

Image Credit: David Geisbrecht

Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake’s raunchy comedy Friends With Benefits debuted to a decent-though-underwhleming $18.5 million, good enough for a $6,323 per theater average. The $34 million Sony production couldn’t outdo the similarly-themed No Strings Attached, which scored a $19.7 million opening in January, and it finished well behind the opening numbers of recent R-rated comedies like Horrible Bosses, Bad Teacher, and Bridesmaids.

Fortunately for the studio, Friends with Benefits was relatively cheap to produce, and it should be able to find some legs at the box office, as this summer has been very kind to the comedy genre. The sexed-up laugher earned a solid “B+” grade from Cinemascore, with audiences under 18 giving the film an “A” and audiences over 50 giving it a “B-” (Wait, young people like sex more than old people? What?!). Exit polling revealed that the sexed up laugher’s audience was 62 percent female, while 56 percent was 25 or older.

In fourth place, Transformers: Dark of the Moon blasted up another $12 million, marking a 44 percent drop from last weekend. After four weeks, Michael Bay’s robot-alien blockbuster has grossed $325.8 million, and while it won’t outgross Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, which earned $402.1 million in 2009, it is still the top grossing film at the domestic box office this year, and it has been thriving overseas as well. All told, Dark of the Moon has amassed $882.4 million worldwide, and even if Shia Labeouf doesn’t return to the franchise, I sincerely doubt we’ve seen the last of the Transformers.

Horrible Bosses, now in its third weekend, came in fifth place. The dark comedy has been enjoying some great word-of-mouth with audiences, and despite competition from Friends With Benefits, Bosses only fell 34 percent to $11.7 million, which pushes the film’s total to $82.4 milion. At the same point in its run, Bad Teacher had earned $78.7 million, and Horrible Bosses looks like it will finish just ahead of the Cameron Diaz vehicle and break the $100 million plateau with ease.

1. Captain America: The First Avenger — $65.8 mil
    2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 — $48.1 mil
    3. Friends with Benefits — $18.5 mil
    4. Transformers: Dark of the Moon — $12 mil
    5. Horrible Bosses — $11.7 mil
    6. Zookeeper — $8.7 mil
    7. Cars 2 — $5.7 mil
    8. Winnie the Pooh — $5.1 mil
    9. Bad Teacher — $2.6 mil
    10. Midnight in Paris — $1.9 mil
    Box office report: 'Captain America' stands proud with $65.8 million; 'Harry Potter' plummets, still huge | Inside Movies | EW.com

Last edited by JMora; 07-24-2011 at 01:16 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^this goes to a Post I made before about "fanboys" Pirates, Transformers, Twlight and Potter ALL have them...no matter how good or bad the crap is they'll see it.

Captain America just has comic fans and did well but not the numbers Disney will want, but I think the Avengers is a game changer, after that people will be more willing to see Thor 2 and Captain America 2 making them get MUCH higher numbers... maybe not Potter numbers but I'll guess 80-100 million first weekend
    Well apparently Disney did like the numbers for Thor because they already announced they were working on a sequel, they haven't said this for Captain America. And to be honest, why does everything have to be sequels? Why can't we just get good, stand-alone movies?
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^this goes to a Post I made before about "fanboys" Pirates, Transformers, Twlight and Potter ALL have them...no matter how good or bad the crap is they'll see it.

Captain America just has comic fans and did well but not the numbers Disney will want, but I think the Avengers is a game changer, after that people will be more willing to see Thor 2 and Captain America 2 making them get MUCH higher numbers... maybe not Potter numbers but I'll guess 80-100 million first weekend

Just by stating "just" doesn't justify anything! I believe the success of anything is really based on "popularity" of a character/franchise be it a comic book, novel, film form, and "longevity" is a huge factor!

I mean, when people think of MARVEL, Spider-Man and X-Men are the first that come to mind, and when people think of DC. Who's on the top of that list? Super-Man, Batman, and Wonder-Woman. The rest are just left over seconds and mediocre be frank! Captain America, Thor, Avengers, etc were never were are EVER been popular like Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men, etc.

I love the 80s Transformers but, yes to one's no surprise I like Bay-fomers too because I know what I'm getting into (cool action), and I even like Twilight (the films), just for the men eye candy =}

• Minion

Read your own numbers, usually the movie that has been out longer has a significant amount more money, but it took Harry Potter 1 week to make $836.4 million while it took Transformers 3 weeks to make $882.4 million. I'd bet $50.00 Harry Potter passes Transformers during week 2.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Read your own numbers, usually the movie that has been out longer has a significant amount more money, but it took Harry Potter 1 week to make $836.4 million while it took Transformers 3 weeks to make $882.4 million. I'd bet $50.00 Harry Potter passes Transformers during week 2.

When 2011 films end there run, when we all see the final numbers, and who ever wins. The $50 dollar bet...via PayPal? =} - I got my Decepticons lining up behind me, and were setting up the canons on...

=}
    Last edited by JMora; 07-24-2011 at 10:39 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    Just by stating "just" doesn't justify anything! I believe the success of anything is really based on "popularity" of a character/franchise be it a comic book, novel, film form, and "longevity" is a huge factor!

I mean, when people think of MARVEL, Spider-Man and X-Men are the first that come to mind, and when people think of DC. Who's on the top of that list? Super-Man, Batman, and Wonder-Woman. The rest are just left over seconds and mediocre be frank! Captain America, Thor, Avengers, etc were never were are EVER been popular like Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men, etc.

I love the 80s Transformers but, yes to one's no surprise I like Bay-fomers too because I know what I'm getting into (cool action), and I even like Twilight (the films), just for the men eye candy =}
    Yeah but thing is for movies like Pirates and Transformers are they are fine for big action they lack in story telling and it shows in the critics and even reviews from people on site like Rotten Tomatoes.

In the end Transformers is going to make money but Potter will make more in both theaters and DVD sales PLUS I'll be getting the Box set for all the potter movies and im sure im not a lone in getting that.

Like i said Captain America will get bigger once Disney gets a hold of him and they can do some cool things with him besides the Avengers I'm hoping for a "Civil War" Movie basd on when the Marvel hero's fight each other over if there identities should HAVE to be revealed and all hell breaks lose in America

• Banned User

OMG... I am so laughing...
    From 1st to Worst: Harry Potter Posts Biggest 2nd Week Decline Ever for a Blockbuster

By Daniel Frankel, The Wrap | Movie Talk

Harry Potter and company

Coming off the biggest box-office opening ever, the eighth and final Harry Potter movie just experienced the biggest second-weekend decline of all time for any blockbuster. The Warner Bros. film declined 72 percent from its record $169.2 million domestic opening to just $47.4 million.

Plenty of films have experienced bigger percentage drops in their second weekends of release, but none of them were in the elite blockbuster class of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2."
    Also read: 'Spider-Man' Villain Rhys ifans Arrested for Battery at Comic-Con, Police Say

In fact, among the 36 films that experienced bigger percentage drops than "Deathly Hallows, Part 2" in weekend No. 2, only three films opened to more than $20 million, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.
    Also read: Another Harry Potter Movie Under Way -- But Not the Hogwarts Guy

And only one film on that list, Warner's 2009 reboot of "Friday the 13th," managed to crack the $40 million mark (it opened to $40.6 million).

Among blockbusters with domestic openings over $100 million, only one film, Summit Entertainment's "Twilight Saga: New Moon," which dropped 70 percent, has a weekend-to-weekend decline in the same league.

Avid fan support, which causes pent-up demand to be released in a big opening-weekend rush, factors in here.

Like the Potter films, the Twilight saga is book-driven and usually features a big midnight performance on each installment's first day in theaters.

Also read:
    'Harry Potter' by the Numbers: Audience Grew Older, Series Got Richer

But even for the Potter franchise, 72 percent is big. At 62.7 percent, 2004's "Prisoner of Azkaban" was the series' previous biggest weekend-two decliner; 2001's "Sorcerer's Stone" dropped just 36.3 percent.

Alarm bells, however, are hardly going off at the Warner Bros. studio lot in Burbank, Calif.
    "Deathly Hallows, Part 2" has grossed $560.4 million so far internationally. And with $833.9 million in the bank so far, the film is still on pace to be the only movie in the Potter series to break the $1 billion barrier globally.
    Source: From 1st to Worst: Harry Potter Posts Biggest 2nd Week Decline Ever for a Blockbuster | Movie Talk - Yahoo! Movies

• Minion

Um, in just 10 days Harry Potter has made $834 million. It has taken Transformers 26 days to make $882 million. Thats what? 16 days more to make 48 million more? Just watch, by the end of the week, Harry Potter will have made more then Transformers globally.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

Um, in just 10 days Harry Potter has made $834 million. It has taken Transformers 26 days to make $882 million. Thats what? 16 days more to make 48 million more? Just watch, by the end of the week, Harry Potter will have made more then Transformers globally.
    The fact Potter is fake 3D and people still wanting to see action popcorn 3D worthy film by word of mouth (Transformers 3), will see by the both films end run.

Along with this thought...

Are you kidding me, obviously the percentage jump is going to be insane when the movie made so damn much on opening weekend.
    Don't let me laugh ALL the way to Cybertron with that judgement call! If Paramount/Dreamwroks didn't open the film to ***, sorry, I mean open prematurely on Tuesday, June 28th and truly opened opened at midnight Friday July 1...

Take into consideration Transformers: Dark of the Moon grossed:

$5,500,000 on Tuesday.

$37,725,329 on Wednesday.

$21,540,018 on Thursday.

From Tues -Thurs it made a $64,765,257 million alone.

The true Box office weekend as follows for Transformers: Dark of the Moon...

$32,988,883 on Friday.

$34,487,884 on Saturday.

$30,376,098 on Sunday.

Just from Friday to Sunday box office gross facts, the 3 days totals of: $97,852,865 million. That means if Paramount/Dreamworks opened the film at midnight on Friday, the grand total of the opening weekend could had been a hopping $162,618,122 million.

Let's assume, and a very good chance too, if the film didn't open Tuesday. Which I bragged about long ago, it's opening weekend could had been around $162,618,122 million on opening weekend (assuming all the people who saw it from Tuesday to Thursday). This would had beaten the Dark knight opening weekend of $158,411,483 for sure!
    (source: The Dark Knight (2008) - Weekend Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo & Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - Daily Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo )

That's just a $6,571,305 million difference from Potter's opening, wow! LOL
    No, matter, Transformers 3 has already out grossed all previous Transformers films!

• Banned User

What? Back in da day I only watched the Smurfs for it was a time killer before watching my favs, like the Transformers, and He-Man on the week afternoons but the Smurfs topped Cowboy & Aliens at the box office but the upside is the lead actor in the Smurfs is openly Gay.

Box Office Upset: 'Smurfs' Beats 'Cowboys & Aliens' on Friday

12:04 PM 7/30/2011 by Pamela McClintock

Sony Pictures

The 3D toon grosses $13.3 million, while "Cowboys" grosses $13 million; Steve Carell-Ryan Gosling comedy "Crazy Stupid Love" off to a solid start.

In a surprise twist, kids pic The Smurfs edged past Jon Favreau’s big-budget Cowboys & Aliens to win the Friday race, leaving open the possibility that the 3D toon could steal the weekend crown.

Sony’s Smurfs grossed an estimated $13.3 million, while DreamWorks and Universal’s Cowboys grossed a $13 million after appealing mostly to older moviegoers.

Heading into the weekend, tracking suggested Cowboys would easily win the weekend with a gross north of $40 million. Now, the movie may only reach $36 million or $38 million. If Smurfs, benefiting from being the only fresh family title in the market, continues to overperform, it could reach the same mark.

PHOTOS: 10 Top Summer Superheroes of All-Time
    Coming in No. 3 at the domestic box office on Friday was Paramount and Marvel’s holdover Captain America: The First Avenger, which grossed $7.9 million on its second Friday, upping its domestic cume to $99.8 million.

The third new film of the weekend, Warner Bros.’ Steve Carell-Ryan Gosling comedy Crazy, Stupid, Love got off to a solid start, grossing $6.6 million on Friday. The PG-13 movie, receiving a B+ CinemaScore, is on track to gross $18 million or $19 million for the weekend.
    PHOTOS: Best and Worst Alien Movies

Cowboys, starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, couldn’t have better pedigree. Stacey Snider and Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks oversaw production and co-financed the $163 million pic with Universal and Ryan Kavanaugh’s Relativity Media. Brian Grazer and Ron Howard’s Imagine Entertainment also produced the film.

But original stories are always a risk, not to mention mixing the Western and sci-fi genres. Westerns generally draw older moviegoers, and Cowboys has indeed been tracking best among males over 25, followed by males under 25, who are Favreau and sci-fi fans.

Cowboys grossed a soft $700,000 in midnight runs Thursday night, suggesting that younger fanboys weren’t rushing to see the film. Exit polling conducted Friday night confirmed that trend--a full 75% of the audience was over the age of 25, and 39%, over the age of 50.
    Cowboys did lure more females than expected (43%). Pic received a B CinemaScore.
    VIDEOS: Behind the Scenes at THR's Comic-Con Lounge

So far, Cowboys is pacing a tad behind original event pic Super 8, which grossed $13.1 million on its first Friday and $36.5 million for the weekend. The big difference? J.J. AbramsSuper 8 cost $55 million to make.

DreamWorks financed half of Cowboys’ $163 million budget, while Universal and Relativity Media each put up 25 percent.

Smurfs cost $110 million to produce, and is the latest entry in the CGI/live-action market. The pic received an A- CinemaScore, and A among moviegoers under the age of 18.
    Based on the comic books and wildly popular 1980s television show, The Smurfs stars Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays and Hank Azaria. The voice cast is led by Jonathan Winters, Kate Perry and Anton Yelchin.
    Source: Box Office Upset: 'Smurfs' Beats 'Cowboys & Aliens' on Friday - The Hollywood Reporter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123