• Minion

Disney Studio Layoffs VS Uncle Remus DVD?

Disney Studios to cut up to 250 jobs from global workforce - latimes.com

Declining DVD sales are among reasons cited in the above linked LA Times article predicting imminent layoffs of about 250 people from Disney Studios. If so, shouldn't management do everything possible to raise DVD sales and perhaps save jobs?

Even execs have noted in the past that long-in-the-vault "Song of the South" (-- one of the most in-demand titles never to have been released on home video in North America, and Walt Disney's remaining unreleased animated feature "Classic" --) still has the potential to produce substantial revenues. But the company has chosen to withhold it indefinitely for subjective reasons of political correctness.

"Song of the South" is one of the few unexploited library titles in Hollywood with major sales potential. Maybe giving it a proper release on DVD and Blu-Ray could help bolster the Studio bottom line. Back in 1972, after an extended period in the vault, the film was reissued to become the highest grossing re-release up to that time (and also performed well in two subsequent reissues in 1980 and 1986).

Uncle Remus to the rescue? Isn't it worth a try?
    Last edited by merlinjones; 06-07-2011 at 03:30 PM.

• Mouseketeer

Re: Disney Studio Layoffs VS Uncle Remus DVD?

I like that idea, but I think the declining sale have more to do with a shift in the market. People are downloading and/or streaming movies more than ever.

Personally, I think the way Disney is distributing its Blu-rays is detrimental to those sales. I haven't gone out and bought all the classics on DVD, since I am waiting for the Blu-rays. I can't even buy the DVDs of ones I think will take years to come out, since there seems to be no rhyme nor reason. I would have pegged Bambi and Alice in Wonderland to come out later than something like Cinderella. I understand it takes time to do restorations and such, but why was Dumbo released everywhere else, but pulled at the last minute in the US? Other titles have been pulled at the last moment, and distributed months later instead.

Even now with the 3D Blu-ray, they're releasing Beauty and the Beast in 3d later this year, but I already bought the regular Blu-ray last year. I'm sure all the Toy Story movies will be re-released in 3d too. It's frustrating to say the least.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I am still miffed that they didn't release BatB 3D in the US. I do agree that they are missing something if they don't release Song Of The South to US on DVD/Blu-Ray. I have two copies of SotS (one Pirated from US Videotape and one from England.) I have seen the film and think they should release it, and to be on the safe side, have a video before the main feature with back history information about the film.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

No offense to anyone, but personally, I don't find Song of the South to be any more offensive than Gone With the Wind, Dumbo, or any of the Shirley Temple movies. But if Disney is still reticent, why don't they release the animated sequences by themselves? I don't think there's any offensive material there.

•   

Along with my RCA 1950's Alice in Wonderland 45 RPM turntable and yellow vinyl Disney recordings, I have my Lady and Tramp fur lamps watching over it. I still have my Sony VHS and the original Disney Classic vault releases. Love their Classic vinyl cases. I have recently purchased the Sony Blue Ray and have gotten a lot of my non Disney Classics that have been reissued in that format. I really have no interest in Blue Ray 3-D and didn't purchase that equipment. My View Masters of Disneyland are 3-D enough for me. Hope Disney Classics all come out in Blue Ray including Song Of The South. It's actually pretty tame by today's standards and a lot of the past Classics mentioned above. Maybe they will show it in the new Trader Sam's bar.
    Last edited by DisWedWay; 06-16-2011 at 08:36 AM.

I go for remake, with a more accurate portrait of Reconstruction, and the original a bonus disc in the collector's set,

Otherwise, wait for the digital Vault Disney service.

• Banned User

I think DVD sales are pretty much doomed.

I hear people my age (44) say things like "I bought VHS. Then I bought again on DVD. Now I'm moving to Blueray, but I'm not buying, I'm renting."

I hear younger people talk about having dumped cable and netflix and now only watching what they can stream through their computer or smartphone.

I am kind of at the same point, but still haven't moved to HD or Blueray. I bought VHS. I bought DVD. I got divorced and bought DVD again. My DVDs got stolen when my house got broken into. Now I watch on Disney Channel, rent, or watch stuff I can stream on the internet.

• Minion

That's why they need to release "Song of the South", "Best of" "Wonderful World of Color" (at al) TV episode sets, unreleased features and TV features and a few more Treasures sets (Ludwig etc.), because at this point people are not going to be into re-buying the same titles again -- but many would dearly want to finish off their Walt Disney DVD collections they have been working on for so many years with the last few titles that remain unavailable.

Uncle Remus has a sales upside there no other title does at this point. It's in demand with the general public as well as fans, and never been available here. Some big money still still left on the table before the DVD goes away.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel View Post
    I think DVD sales are pretty much doomed.

I hear people my age (44) say things like "I bought VHS. Then I bought again on DVD. Now I'm moving to Blueray, but I'm not buying, I'm renting."

I hear younger people talk about having dumped cable and netflix and now only watching what they can stream through their computer or smartphone.

I am kind of at the same point, but still haven't moved to HD or Blueray. I bought VHS. I bought DVD. I got divorced and bought DVD again. My DVDs got stolen when my house got broken into. Now I watch on Disney Channel, rent, or watch stuff I can stream on the internet.
    Yeah, it's been rough to have a DVD collection because it's a lot to maintain and store. It's getting much easier to say screw it and just have the movies on a digital file or something. I will still collect Disney films but in the combo packs because I only have one BluRay player in my house and have yet to afford anymore. When Lion King comes out in Oct, I'm gonna get the combo pack with the 3D. Who knows if I'll ever even get a 3D player and TV someday though?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!