Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: Early Warning Signs For PIXAR's Cars 2

I pay no attention to Rotten Tomatoes. Wall-E 96% and Cars 1 74%? Not in my opinion. It should be the other way around. Not only that, but they rate one of my absolute favorite movies (and so far everyone I've subjected it to have enjoyed, too) 13%.

Yeah- they're full of it, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll never understand why they even made a sequel to Cars. I mean, I know why. It's John Lasseter's favorite movie. But come on. It was cute at best and the story was soooo worn out! Guy with a super ego gets put into a humbling situation and discovers he comes out of it a better person. Seen it! Many times.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Since most of the reviews are not from the top, more of the "I run a BLOG" critics... little too early to tell. (74% of the few "Top" critics give it a positive review as I post).

Personally though, I never thought CARS was Pixars best. In fact, it's the only one I didn't see in a theater.

Maybe it's because while I'm a car/race fan (F1, Rally, Former ChampCar)... never been into Nascar.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Its the fact that they gave up an Oscar to make money that makes me sick......I mean talk about Selling out thats what this film is.

Brave looks to be another great film like Up or Toy Story 3....but Cars 2 is crap if compared to the last two films that made most people cry.

• All-American

Even if audiences don't care about critic reviews, as a Disney/animation fan I've always taken pride in Pixar's ability to make commercially popular films that are also extremely well-made, and for elevating the animated feature to something that even the most serious of critics and the Motion Picture Academy can respect. So far, they've had the amazing ability to that every single time... and it saddens me that Cars 2 might jeopardize that.

• some guy

I see a lot of defense of this movie on this thread already, though I'm sure most people here haven't actually seen it yet (which is always distressing.)

I find my self in the disappointed camp here. True, a movie should not be weighed in always by it's reviews, but an aggregator like Rotten Tomatoes is still often a good indication.

That's not to say the movie won't be enjoyable - there are many films I "enjoy", but openly admit that they're poorly made movies. Guilty pleasures (or "popcorn flicks" as is the term being used around here.)

I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that this movie will make a ton of cash, ratings or not. These findings aren't surprising anyone, and are really irrelevant to the subject.

What's disappointing is that we even have to use the term "popcorn flick" when trying to defend this movie at all. Pixar has never been in the business of making these type of movies and have always set the standard of how an animated movie can entertain all ages and still provide thoughtful storytelling and themes.

Critics know this, and they are holding the film to Pixar's prior standards. Sure, I'd love this movie to be good, like the rest of you. But I think it's kind of unreasonable to say "screw the critics" and dismiss their opinions, when in the past they've always spoken the truth about every other Pixar film.

I'll reserve my own final judgement until I see the film. We'll see what happens.
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fravitmonk View Post
    What's disappointing is that we even have to use the term "popcorn flick" when trying to defend this movie at all. Pixar has never been in the business of making these type of movies and have always set the standard of how an animated movie can entertain all ages and still provide thoughtful storytelling and themes.

Critics know this, and they are holding the film to Pixar's prior standards. Sure, I'd love this movie to be good, like the rest of you. But I think it's kind of unreasonable to say "screw the critics" and dismiss their opinions, when in the past they've always spoken the truth about every other Pixar film.
    A very well written post! To me it's always disappointing when some aspect of Disney product drops beneath Disney's own, previously-established high standards. But it's doubly disappointing when the first response of Disney fans to criticism of the product is to claim that the standards somehow don't matter in this case, or really don't apply to this particular product, or that the critics are being too picky, or that the criticism is poorly founded, biased or otherwise irrelevant.

IMO that's not a defense of Disney. It's a disservice.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-23-2011 at 01:36 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Some big name reviews are in, Time, New York Times, etc. Now it's down to 45%. Seems to me from just glancing at the reviews, if you don't like Mater, you're not going to like the movie.

It's a shame, but hopefully this will be one blemish on Pixar's reputation. It's interesting to see that the lowest rated original (74% on rotten tomatoes) is up for a sequel. I realize the merch pressure, but one would hope Pixar would be above that. Hopefully the bad reviews that are coming will recitfy this failed experiment and Brave once again goes back to what Pixar does best.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I'm sure Cars 2 will make unholy amounts of money but these reviews are pretty harsh. Check this out: Review: `Cars 2' is a clunker - BusinessWeek

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Often for me, if the critics hate it I'll like it and vice-versa. Not always, but often. Most critics don't fall into my demographic of happily married for 20 years with 5 kids so we just relate to different things. I loved Cars, my wife and kids love Cars, my mom loves Cars, my siblings and their kids love Cars, neighbor kids love playing with the Cars toys when they visit, etc etc. Cars appeals to a huge group of people who don't care what critical people/critics say.

That said, I haven't seen Cars 2 yet. I hope I like it. I like James Bond movies because they are entertaining; not because they have some deep personal message or meaning. I'm guessing Cars 2 will be that same way, and I'm okay with that. Entertain me--I'm pretty simple

The problem is there has Been only a few reviews on rotten tomatoes, it should go up after opening tommorow

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by TCadillac View Post
    I'm sure Cars 2 will make unholy amounts of money but these reviews are pretty harsh. Check this out: Review: `Cars 2' is a clunker - BusinessWeek
    Except when I read that review it made me want to see it.

International cars, check.
    Mater, check.
    Spies, check.
    Action, check.
    Humor, check.
    Doesn't make you cry, check.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    I'll never understand why they even made a sequel to Cars. I mean, I know why. It's John Lasseter's favorite movie. But come on. It was cute at best and the story was soooo worn out! Guy with a super ego gets put into a humbling situation and discovers he comes out of it a better person. Seen it! Many times.
    Why did they make the sequel, beyond John Lasseter's wanting to do it? Because Cars made the mouse more money than any other Pixar film when you count in toys and other items. Remember there is more than just box office.

Perhaps this is one reason Cars Land at DCA is based on the original characters and movie?

---------- Post added 06-23-2011 at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    Why did they make the sequel, beyond John Lasseter's wanting to do it? Because Cars made the mouse more money than any other Pixar film when you count in toys and other items. Remember there is more than just box office.
    Very true ni_teach and, it is a film that is boy-centric which has greater appeal for action toys and as you said, regardless of box office performance cool merchandise will sell.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Some big name reviews are in, Time, New York Times, etc. Now it's down to 45%. Seems to me from just glancing at the reviews, if you don't like Mater, you're not going to like the movie .
    Well at least i won't be paying full price to see it...
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast