Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Early Warning Signs For PIXAR's Cars 2

I had a feeling this would happen, and it's quite fitting.

The moment Pixar starts selling out (meaning, making movies to make money in merchandise sales instead of making movies to make something really worthwhile to watch), it is going to hurt their name. Disney should have already learned from their mistake, but either way, the pencil pushers don't care, do they? They see huge merchandise sales and don't feel like they need to re-examine the way they do things.

Of all the Pixar properties, I have always felt that Cars has been the weakest link. All of the other films have that classic Disney heart, whereas Cars seems to be just an ok movie...something that I would have expected out of Disney after it's renaissance. But it is near and dear to John Lasseter's heart, one of his pet projects (inspired by a family road trip he took), and the man has a lot of power and freedom now to do mostly whatever he wants. Unfortunately, I think he's wearing rose-tinted glasses where Cars is concerned. We'll see how this pans out for Disney in the long run...it's not like other companies haven't run franchises into the ground and won't give up (Shrek being a perfect example).

Either way, little boys are always going to want their toy cars...and Disney knows it.

Well, Roger Ebert gave it a glowing, 3 1/2 star review, and he's the critic I usually find myself agreeing with most of the time.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by fravitmonk View Post
    Critics know this, and they are holding the film to Pixar's prior standards. Sure, I'd love this movie to be good, like the rest of you. But I think it's kind of unreasonable to say "screw the critics" and dismiss their opinions, when in the past they've always spoken the truth about every other Pixar film.
    THIS ... 100% this.

Is it wrong to hold Pixar up to a higher standard, not really considering their track record. They are held to a higher standard for a reason.

I'm sure Cars 2 would be a good movie for another studio, or even a Non-Pixar Disney release, but Pixar is held up to a higher standard and they know this.

I'll still see it, and will withhold my final judgement until I do so, but I'm most likely not going to rush out and see it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by scrappydawg View Post
    Well, Roger Ebert gave it a glowing, 3 1/2 star review, and he's the critic I usually find myself agreeing with most of the time.
    Although this does give me some hope ... I agree with Ebert about 90% of the time.

Eberts Review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...110629995/1023

Anyway, "Cars 2" is fun. Whether that's because John Lasseter is in touch with his inner child or mine, I cannot say. There remains one bone to pick. Although the hero of the 2006 film was a Hudson with the step-down design and there are AMC Gremlins in this film, as nearly as I can tell, Lasseter entirely ignores the greatest independent American automaker of them all, Studebaker. Maybe I missed one. I don't think so. There is a more obvious reason. Introducing a Studebaker Golden Hawk into this film would make all of the other characters look shabby.

Note: The 3-D adds nothing and darkens the bright colors. See it in 2-D if you can.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I tend to agree with Ebert more as well though we clash at times, it seems as if he's rating Cars 2 for its OWN MERITS rather than comparing it to the likes of Up, Toy Story 3, and Wall-E.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MCP Warrior Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    Often for me, if the critics hate it I'll like it and vice-versa. Not always, but often. Most critics don't fall into my demographic of happily married for 20 years with 5 kids so we just relate to different things. I loved Cars, my wife and kids love Cars, my mom loves Cars, my siblings and their kids love Cars, neighbor kids love playing with the Cars toys when they visit, etc etc. Cars appeals to a huge group of people who don't care what critical people/critics say.

That said, I haven't seen Cars 2 yet. I hope I like it. I like James Bond movies because they are entertaining; not because they have some deep personal message or meaning. I'm guessing Cars 2 will be that same way, and I'm okay with that. Entertain me--I'm pretty simple
    This....

It was very funny. Our house has always been a "Tron" house....I mean, how many fans do you know that actually tracked down a real Tron arcade game and restored it to factory original condition?

When the sequel came out, we were naturally going to see it no matter what...and we did, TWICE in 12 hours! The local Fox TV film critics gave it one out of four "Popcorn Bags" as a rating....My youngest son, 8, happened to be watching this review and I honest though he was going to throw a brick through the TV! He was very upset on this "idiot" who obviously, according to him, "didn't get it!"

There's a lot of truth in his 8 year old's statement....These movies are not designed to impress critics, they are designed to connect with it's target audience...IT'S CALLED BUSINESS PEOPLE.

The last movie I allowed myself to go and see based on critics glowing reviews was a piece of garbage called "Pan's Labyrinth" Complete garbage.

I'll stick with Disney / Pixar and enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    Why did they make the sequel, beyond John Lasseter's wanting to do it? Because Cars made the mouse more money than any other Pixar film when you count in toys and other items. Remember there is more than just box office.
    You're right. I forgot. Follow the money.

Pixar is always best when it is something new and fresh. They should really shun the idea of a sequel to any of their movies.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Shablagoo!

I think that a lot of critics have been looking forward to trashing a Pixar movie for years. They have been looking for a weakest link and they feel they have found one. OH well. It is out of the way now and they will be back on track with the next film.

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~Anton Ego

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by fravitmonk View Post
    I see a lot of defense of this movie on this thread already, though I'm sure most people here haven't actually seen it yet (which is always distressing.)
    Saw it, enjoyed it as the pure fun, action-adventure summer entertainment that it is. The studio decided to add the international spy genre this time around and it mostly works. While the first saluted vintage Americana with warm & simple charm the sequel expands globally with a much larger reach that I think will be embraced overseas enthusiastically.

While adding the two cents on the weight of import that should be given many of the reviews by the film critics (of which there are an alarmingly small, qualified and note-worthy group) I was speaking for myself. I also don't wander food courts asking random strangers what I should order for lunch.

Popcorn pictures have their place, always have & always will. It's not an excuse or defense, just a film industry truth. When asked a few years ago if the movie-going audiences around the world would enjoy his upcoming release Tom Hanks once said to thousands of ShoWest attendees in Las Vegas, myself included, the following cinema mantra:

"They'll laugh, they'll cry, they'll kiss their eight bucks goodbye."

Any film from Pixar that followed the perfect note send-off (and billion $ box office) that 'Toy Story 3' received would suffer in comparison. Try to enjoy the ride and judge the film as this film.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    Pixar is always best when it is something new and fresh. They should really shun the idea of a sequel to any of their movies.
    Normally I'd agree, but the Toy Story sequals were amazing.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Try to enjoy the ride and judge the film as this film.
    Thanks D, I will do just that.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    I had a feeling this would happen, and it's quite fitting.

The moment Pixar starts selling out (meaning, making movies to make money in merchandise sales instead of making movies to make something really worthwhile to watch), it is going to hurt their name. Disney should have already learned from their mistake, but either way, the pencil pushers don't care, do they? They see huge merchandise sales and don't feel like they need to re-examine the way they do things.

Of all the Pixar properties, I have always felt that Cars has been the weakest link. All of the other films have that classic Disney heart, whereas Cars seems to be just an ok movie...something that I would have expected out of Disney after it's renaissance. But it is near and dear to John Lasseter's heart, one of his pet projects (inspired by a family road trip he took), and the man has a lot of power and freedom now to do mostly whatever he wants. Unfortunately, I think he's wearing rose-tinted glasses where Cars is concerned. We'll see how this pans out for Disney in the long run...it's not like other companies haven't run franchises into the ground and won't give up (Shrek being a perfect example).

Either way, little boys are always going to want their toy cars...and Disney knows it.
    I don't know the technical, behind-the-scenes reasons for why Cars 2 was made; whether it was really Lasseter's pet project, Disney pushing Pixar to put it into production for the boost in merchandise sales, or maybe a combination of both. But part of me is having a very easy time imagining some Burbank executives talking about "strengthening the brand" of Cars, "pushing the brand," brand this, brand that, etc. I'm sure Disney is thrilled at the merch that Cars 2 will sell.

But I hope that Disney remembers that "Cars" isn't the only brand involved here. A brand is, by definition, a name that people feel they can trust when they are expecting quality. In that sense, the Pixar brand is one of the strongest in Hollywood today - it's very name conjures in most moviegoers an image of the kind of must-see, unmatched quality filmmaking most studios would die to have. I'd even bet it's the Pixar brand that drives audiences to movies they might otherwise be skeptical about if they had come from another studio (Up, Ratatouille, Wall-e). This more abstract kind of brand might be something a lot harder to financially quantify as opposed to something like "Cars," but if Disney thinks that they can jeopardize the Pixar brand by talking down to consumers with "popcorn flicks," or alienating moviegoers who go to Pixar movies expecting heartfelt, brilliantly written films, they might be in for a lot more damage than they're expecting.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
    Often for me, if the critics hate it I'll like it and vice-versa. Not always, but often. Most critics don't fall into my demographic of happily married for 20 years with 5 kids so we just relate to different things. I loved Cars, my wife and kids love Cars, my mom loves Cars, my siblings and their kids love Cars, neighbor kids love playing with the Cars toys when they visit, etc etc. Cars appeals to a huge group of people who don't care what critical people/critics say.
    So you must have hated every Pixar movie but Cars, right? Also, critics didn't "hate" Cars--they were just lukewarm about it, hence the 74% on RT, which isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by zztop View Post
    The problem is there has Been only a few reviews on rotten tomatoes, it should go up after opening tommorow
    Nope. 38% now.

• some guy

I need to comment on the topic of "why was this movie even made?"

Here's what I more or less know, based on my years of Disneygeekness:
    1. Disney is more or less letting Pixar call the shots at their studio. It stands to reason that Disney knows Pixar makes quality, and interfering with their way of doing things too much could result in a decline in that quality.

2. Cars (the original) was Lasseter's baby.

3. Lasseter has INSANE pull at both Pixar and the rest of Disney.

4. Pixar only makes movies when they feel like they have a good story to tell or another equally valid reason, and NOT to make money.

There's proof to back up these statements out there; I'm not going to look for it because I'm lazy and I have more episodes of Avatar to watch on Netflix, so you can go find it yourself. But given these elements, allow me to muse on this hypothetical fantasy scenario -

After every huge moneymaking bonanza at Pixar, the higher ups at Disney have politely asked Pixar if they could make a sequel, to which they were oftened refused. Like "Hey Pixar dudes, Finding Nemo made a frack ton of cash, do you think you might wanna make us another one?" And Pixar's all like "Nah, we're good. Maybe if we come up with a good story, but no." And Disney says "Oh, ok, cool, cool. No worries. Just an idea, keep doing what you're doing."

Cars rolls around and makes more money than ANYTHING. Disney suggests another Cars. Lasseter, blindly enamored by the idea (due to his own emotional attachment), says "What? Another CARS?! I'LL START WORKING ON IT TOMORROW!"

And the rest of Pixar quietly groans and begins pre-production.

Now it's entirely possible that everything I just said is false. I don't know what really happened, I wasn't there. But in my mind, something like this makes sense.
    Last edited by fravitmonk; 06-23-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

• time to go

According to a Pixar exec I talked to about three years ago, Cars 2 was made for one reason and one reason only: billions and billions of dollars in merch sales. The Cars franchise is a platinum mine on steroids. It's unbelievably profitable. And because of those merch sales, there was no way this sequel wasn't getting made.

Even if the reviews for Cars 2 remain mostly bad and the ticket receipts are only half of TS3's take, I would still expect to see yet another Cars sequel in the future. Produce a new film with new characters and voila! Instant profits from die cast toy cars. Which, of course, helps to fund original films and keep Pixar employees, well, employed.

So who cares if the film sucks? As long as it makes money either in the theater or in the aftermarket, so Pixar can continue to exist.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

For the record, Ebert gave the original CARS only three stars. He gives CARS 2 three and a half.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast