View Poll Results: What did you think of Cars 2?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 Tires - Excellent, this movie fired on all cylinders

13 26.53%
  • 3 Tires - Fun Movie but could have used a tune-up

21 42.86%
  • 2 Tires - Had a couple of flats

7 14.29%
  • 1 Tire - Send out the Tow Truck (and not Mater)

6 12.24%
  • 0 Tires - This was a complete wreck

2 4.08%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Raconteur

Re: Cars 2 Movie Review (SPOILERS!!)

W...Why is this in the Disneyland Resort forum?
    Disneyland Resort Photography by Quiksotik
    Disneyland parking attendant: "Have a magical day, yo!"

• Minion

Good review, even though it's in the wrong forum haha

I agree with most of your statements. I understand why they didn't bring back Doc because Paul Newman died, but so did the voice actors of Fillmore and Red. Why did they come back? Anyway, I really enjoyed the film and that it's equally as good as the original. I love the attention to detail, specifically bringing elements of cars into famous world landmarks. That was brilliant!

• Future Cast Member

I thought the movie was great. It was more of an extended Pixar short, though, because it was really about the characters in a mostly typical spy setting and story, with some original twists, of course. The first movie was more about the story, and most other Pixar movies are, too. Other Pixar movies have good characters, but they use them to the advantage of the story. For example, Toy Story 3 used our love of the characters to make us really feel for them throughout the story. Cars 2 focused more on the characters, which I think is why people were upset. I think they should've done it as a spin-off instead of calling it a direct sequel. Regardless, I really, really enjoyed it and would definitely watch it again.

• Future Cast Member

Re: Cars 2: MiceChat Reviews

double post
    Last edited by ChessurInWonderland; 06-29-2011 at 10:29 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yeah it was cute. Way too much Mater, and while the dumbness wasn't as bad as I thought, I really hated that they pressed the stupid country hick non-wordly stereotype.

It was better than Wall-e and a few others but still not that great.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Maybe more entertaining than WALL-E... certainly not better.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• mountains beyond mtns.

Whoa! I liked Cars 2 but not better than Wall-E!

• Minion

Here's my review in a local paper. I'm Brent, my co-reviewer (who is also my mother) is Roberta.

Santa Maria Sun | Film

This is Pixar Animation Studios’ sequel to the 2006 film. Racecar Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) is invited to participate in the first-ever World Grand Prix, and his tow truck buddy, Mater (Larry the Cable Guy) is along for the ride. But British Intelligence agents Finn McMissle (Michael Caine) and Holley Shiftwell (Emily Mortimer) mistake Mater for a fellow spy and enlist his help to save the world. Directed by John Lasseter (Toy Story, Toy Story 2, the original Cars) and Brad Lewis. Showing in 2D and 3D formats (we saw the film in 2D).

Brent: It’s like Pixar has its own rating scale, on which this movie is pretty low. But on the general movie scale, that’s still pretty high! Conceptually, Cars 2 lacks ambition. Remember, this is the studio that usually says, “Let’s do a movie about a rat who wants to be a gourmet chef in a Parisian restaurant!” “Let’s do a movie about an old man who attaches helium balloons to his house and flies it to South America!” “Let’s do a movie about a robot whose head is nothing but binoculars, and yet he’s so expressive, he steals the viewer’s heart!” And here we have, “Let’s do a movie about a dumb guy who gets mistaken for a spy!” The plot of the first movie was pretty down to Earth (other than, you know, the fact that they were all cars). This sounds more like something that would happen in one of Lightning’s dream sequences, or in one of the Mater’s Tall Tales cartoon shorts. The whole movie can basically be summed up in the following exchange: Finn: “Finn McMissile, British Intelligence.” Mater: “Tow Mater, average intelligence.”

Roberta: Mater’s naivety was so cute, as he got caught up in the situation of being the hero.

Brent: But Mater was designed as a supporting character; he lacks the horsepower to really handle this leading role. Meanwhile, Wilson’s McQueen has been downgraded to second banana status. A couple days before seeing Cars 2, we saw Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris, which also starred Owen Wilson as an American abroad. In that film, he gets into an old car that takes him back to 1920s Paris, to meet the likes of Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Picasso. Now there’s a concept!

Roberta: I think most adults would probably prefer Midnight in Paris, but those who are still a kid at heart will enjoy Cars 2. It was fun hearing the reactions of the little kids in the theater: “Oh boy!”

Brent: EvenI, the animation geek, preferred Midnight in Paris. (But just to illustrate the magic of animation: I wouldn’t watch a live-action movie starring Larry the Cable Guy if someone held an electromagnetic death ray to my head). The early scenes with Mater use a tired old sitcom formula: annoying behavior, annoying behavior, annoying behavior, reprimand, play for sympathy. But things pick up once the spies come back into the picture. Finn McMissile: It’s as if James Bond’s car came to life and took over one of his movies! And he has the voice of Michael Caine, who’s usually the best part of whatever movie he’s in. Some of his lines are funny just because of the way he says them. I actually laughed more at this than at DreamWorks’ Kung Fu Panda 2 (Santa Maria Sun | Film), and I was more emotionally moved by Panda. (How did I wind up in Backwards World?)

Roberta: Pixar’s animation was brilliant, as always. I appreciate the creativity that goes into the whole thing. The scenery was amazing! And it’s incredible how they could animate cars that have so much personality. The pretty girl car in this (Holley) had more personality than the pretty girl in Green Lantern.

Brent: One common criticism of these films is that the cars are just giant faces and their lack of limbs limits their body language. But the way they drive conveys character, too. Look at how smoothly McQueen maneuvers around that track!

Roberta: I liked John Turturro as the voice of McQueen’s Italian rival, Francesco Bernoulli. Being an F1 racer, he didn’t have fenders, and it’s supposed to be “hot.” Even Lightning’s girlfriend Sally was into him.

Brent: I think the filmmakers put in that sequence in Italy just so they could get a $10 rating out of my very New York Italian mother. The most Pixarian element of the movie: The villains are resentful “lemon” cars, including Gremlins, Pacers, and Hugos. It’s a clever idea—although, for a bunch of cars that “never run right,” they sure seem to hold their own against the good guys! Note: There is spy movie violence, including shooting and explosions, though none of it is terribly graphic.

Roberta: I still think the Toy Story films are so much more touching and emotional, even in the little cartoon short that showed before the movie (Toy Story Hawaiian Vacation). It’s very clever and endearing how the toys try to help Ken and Barbie have a dream vacation in Bonnie’s Room. But I think animation fans of all ages will also like Cars 2.

Brent: It’s OK if Pixar makes one movie that’s not an instant classic. My worry is this: While Lasseter was off fixing Walt Disney Animation Studios (which make the non-Pixar animated films, like Tangled*) and the theme park division, what if Disney snuck in and infected Pixar with its corporate cooties?! But I’ll wait until I see the next original Pixar film, Brave (summer 2012), before I declare a full-scale crisis.

Roberta: Will there be a Cars 3?

Brent: If the merchandise keeps selling.

Roberta: Well, I’ll go see it! And I could use some more of the merchandise, too.

Brent: I must confess, I already bought a Finn McMissile Pez dispenser.

*When not reviewing, I call Tangled by its true title, Rapunzel.

Also:

Spoiler
    The eyes in the headlights gag was HILARIOUS!
    Spoiler

Did anyone else predict the identity of the mystery bad guy from very early on? Of course, this being a Pixar movie, it was the seemingly wise, benevolent authority figure - see also Mr. Waternoose, Stinky Pete, Muntz and Lotso.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 06-30-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksotik View Post
    W...Why is this in the Disneyland Resort forum?
    Yeah...I'm still new to Micechat and I forgot that there was a movie forum :P

I was skeptical from the moment I heard they were making a sequel. The original story didn't really leave me wanting more.
    Cars 2 relied too heavily on Mater's white trash sensibility and a few bits of potty humor (Usually a Dreamworks trademark) for laughs and entertainment. I'm not sure who's idea it was to focus more on Mater but it didn't sell for me. It felt like a movie version of Mater's tall Tales or whatever that straight to DVD was. I thought the animation was superb but the story lacked that moment of emotion that exists in every pixar movie. That emotion is what defines Pixar and is the pivotal "GOTCHYA" moment.. Its not terrible but i left the theatre without any feeling at all. Bleh.

Is it too late to call off the Monster's Inc sequel?

Maybe we should re-evaluate the Pixar library and give The Incredibles a sequel because that is one that would play favorably to a sequence of additional movies.

Brave looks AWESOME!

• happiest bride on earth

I thoroughly enjoyed Cars 2. Yes, it was obvious who the bad guy was, and I agree that the movie was more character- rather than story-driven, but taken at face value, it is what it is: good, family-fun entertainment. Plus, there were so many hidden Pixar gems in this one! I think my personal favorite was the "SamAirAi" airline, but cameos by Louis Hamilton and Jeff Gordon were good too
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

The alternative fuel vs. gasoline element seemed like moot political posturing. Nevertheless, the Spy/International Racing theme was fun and kept you on edge. It was also cool that fast vehicals raced on land, fsoared in the sky, and even speeded across the ocean. It touched my heard as Maynerd gradually gained respect for his intelligence.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-08-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: adding additional comments
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Finally saw Cars 2. It felt very disconnected from the first movie. I agree that it seemed almost like an extended Mater short .... or like a straight to dvd film. I don't think it was worthy of its predecessor. I did enjoy the scenes from around the world, though. I'd give it 2-2.5 stars.

• Characters are my friends

I thought the movie was cute. However...there was way too much Mater in it for my taste. It is one of those "glad I saw it once, but won't be seeing it again" movies
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• Infinitized!

I voted 3 Tires. Very enjoyable. Saw it in 3D last night. Heavy on the sight gags. Looking forward to watching it on Blu-Ray in 2D.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast