• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Fanboys and the General Audaince

Now in some ways I am myself a fanboy of movies like Comic Movies or a series like Star Wars but.....

Kinda hate how much money movies like Transformers and Pirates make....now don't get me wrong I do enjoy both of the original films. But the sequels just keep coming and really nothing about them make me think that the storys they were telling NEEDED to be told, it was all about making more money and people fall for that.

Now I will see both at one time either in my 3 dollars theater or rent it for 99 cents BUT people pay them like 13-15 to see these films in 3D and its like really? Your going to support films like these that don't even try to have character development or some social message, heck EVEN X-men films have talk about racism and predigest against other people.

So my question is how do people FLOOD the theaters to see these films that are just load BOOMS and the same characters doing the samething you saw them in two years ago? I can understand kids/teens liking this stuff since they have not seen it as much BUT someone that is over 20 should be like Meh...seen this movie like 5 times now no reason to see another film where stuff just blows up

Whats your Opinion on these "pointless" action films that draw people in

• Minion

Re: Fanboys and the General Audaince

Michael Bay as director for Transformers (and the autobots have a HUGE long time fanbase) and Johnny Depp for Pirates (need I say more?) I for one never liked Shia Labeouf outside of Even Stevens, and the acting in Transformers has been bad since the beginning (they bring in hot girls, cars, and robots = ultimate male movie). As for Pirates, the second one was also well recieved by critics, it was #3 that they thought went too far. But I think if Disney continues Pirates in a more James Bond/Indiana Jones style (separate stories with same characters) I will be fine with it, I just don't want to see another 5.5 hour movie split in to 2 parts (Pirates 2 and 3).
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Now in some ways I am myself a fanboy of movies like Comic Movies or a series like Star Wars but.....

Kinda hate how much money movies like Transformers and Pirates make....now don't get me wrong I do enjoy both of the original films. But the sequels just keep coming and really nothing about them make me think that the storys they were telling NEEDED to be told, it was all about making more money and people fall for that.

Now I will see both at one time either in my 3 dollars theater or rent it for 99 cents BUT people pay them like 13-15 to see these films in 3D and its like really? Your going to support films like these that don't even try to have character development or some social message, heck EVEN X-men films have talk about racism and predigest against other people.

So my question is how do people FLOOD the theaters to see these films that are just load BOOMS and the same characters doing the samething you saw them in two years ago? I can understand kids/teens liking this stuff since they have not seen it as much BUT someone that is over 20 should be like Meh...seen this movie like 5 times now no reason to see another film where stuff just blows up

Whats your Opinion on these "pointless" action films that draw people in
    Concerning films like the Transformers, they aren't exactly pointless to those fanbots worldwide and to people like me. I'm stoked it's making ton of money (it's sort of fan-perk of kudos), and any fan-boy/girl will show there pride for there favorite films (cough, cough like those who follow Pirates like a religion =) While Bay may never be a Francis Coppola or Steven Spielberg (George Lucas last good films were only 2 like American Graffiti & Star Wars) but Bay does know how to direct "action," and his cinematography is beautiful, even for action films.

They "define" SUMMER tent pole films at the cinema, like Independence Day, Twister, Pearl Harbor, etc. Like going to a theme park instead of going to church. There's an audience for these films, and just because there action doesn't mean the audience has lack of education either! Some like roller coasters with loops and some don't.

Some movies are just made to be seen on the big screen too and they really make great use of surround sound system then a drama film. As for the 3D, those seeing the new Potter film will waste the extra bucks to see in 3D because it's FAKE 3D but concerning Transformers 3. That was intended to be filmed in true 3D, and it was a 3D spectacular compared to the 4th Pirates films (critics & audience agree on that).

That aside, take in consideration too that the Transformers as a whole has been around for 27 years, and it has evolved over the years: Generation 1 (1984–1993), the came Generation 2 series (1993-1995), then Transfomers: animated (2007-2009), then Beast Wars/Machines (1996–2000), then Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2000-2002), then Transformers: Armada (2002-2004), then Transformers: Energon (2004), Transformers: Cybertron (2005-2006), Transformers Animated (2007-2009), then up to the current hit show Transformers: Prime.

Then of course you have what critics call 'Bay-Transformers,' but has you read above again. Look at how long this series lasted, and evolved. Like how many variations of Primes & Megatron's you know of since 1984? So, I personally can accept Bay's Transformers (and a lot have too) and really, the designs are cool then the simple 84' generation.

What's really surprising too, is how many girls like Transformers too, so when a franchise has a solid fan base of both sexes, that's an ace in the hole for success, no mater how one looks at it.

As for Pirates, many know of it because of the ride but the film really blew up the popularity of the Disney property more because it was accessed to those who never been to a Disney theme park in their life and the fact there fun films too. Except 2 & 3 but they are no Godfather either! At least there better then Hook & Cutthroat Island =)

PS

Transformers: Dark of the Moon remained #1 at the box office for it's second weekend (and broke more records), Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides dropped to number #3 on it's 2nd second, so you know where this is going =)~
    (Source: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...caribbean4.htm)
    Last edited by JMora; 07-10-2011 at 03:01 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Roller Coasters can make you feel thriller and in some ways pleasure, an action movie is different. now hey I like some movies based on just action like Star Wars Episode 3, every like 10 mins there is another fight, but HELL if I would call it a good film, like the original Star Wars

If they make more Transformers movies I HOPE they get back to the Robots and stop all this stupid human drama, I want to see the Autobots on there own solving problems not just protecting the Earth.

• Pilot EdForceOne

because in large part.. people are going to goto the movies regardless. It's simply a matter of what they are going to spend to see.

The bulk of the movie going audience are going to see 'something' its just a matter of what.

Avatar made almost 2.7 billion dollars.. but total box office gross for the industry didn't jump 2+ billion dollars.

For the most part studios are fighting for the same dollars and trying to extra just a bit more from audiences when they can.

In short... most of the movie population are going to spend money on movies regardless of what's in theatres.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• The Darkness to Light

As someone who used to work in a movie theatre...

...it's becaue it's new, it's shiny, and most people have a very short memory of what they've seen before. They only see advertisements for it, and if they are on the fence about seeing a film, they'll ask if it is any good to some random person who may or may not know their personal tastes.

People just want to be entertained, and they want to feel like they saw something worth the price they paid to get in. Unfortunately, around the summer, that usually involves movies that are heavily advertised, even if they aren't that good to begin with. The bottom line and lowest of expectations is that, if they were entertained, then that's good enough for them.

It's partially why I'm keeping one eye on the Independent Film circles. Sometimes, I don't want to be entertained. Sometimes, I want a story told me in an interesting and engaging way.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.