• Banned User

Angry Disney needs to force Universal to stop using Marvel

Now that Marvel is full owned by Disney, I think the Walt Disney Company needs to take aggressive action to force Universal to re-theme its Marvel Island at IOA. These characters are now a Disney property and just as much as I would not want to see Woody or Buzz at Universal, I do not want to see Spiderman or any other Marvel characters at Universal.

I really hope Disney takes aggressive steps to force Universal to re-theme that area, Universal can re-theme the area into Cybertron from Transformers or something else. I find it offensive that Universal has our characters.

What do you all think?

Re: Disney needs to force Universal to stop using Marvel

I say Universal should keep them so that they don't wind up at Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jon328 View Post
    I say Universal should keep them so that they don't wind up at Disneyland.
    Why? Back in the early 80's you probably wouldnt have wanted Star Wars or Indiana Jones in Disneyland either, but those ended up great. You never know what the Imagineers can create, give a Marvel attraction a shot and maybe itll end up like a Indy or Star Tours! Have an open mind.

But first things first and make Universal give up the characters. All Disney has to do is raise the licensing fees so high that its no longer attractive for Universal to keep them around.

• Shablagoo!

Until Disney is ready to move forward with a Marvel Theme Park, I say let it be. For now it is free advertising for their characters.

• Minion

I kind of like that Disney basically has an annex though. Sure, it'll be great to see Universal ditch the license so we can get Marvel stuff proper in WDW, but seeing as they're doing that HD upgrade to SPider-Man, it won't be for a little while.

Also, hoping if they do retheme it to Transformers in a few years that they don't go full Bayformers with it. Go with the whole hub universe thing they have with Axiom Nexus in some comics now and allow for multiple incarnations of the Transformers to share the space.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• In a Disney World Daze...

Im not sure thats such a good idea. This would force Universal to create an entire new land/rides and seeing how well they did with harry potter it would force their competition to out do disney yet again. Granted they are "doubling the size of fantasyland" at WDW MK but only added 2 new attractions...and deleting one in favor of a meet and greet. If this happened and universal responds by another grand upgrade disney would just come up with something similar with little planning and jumping the gun and not doing anything that oustanding.....

Not that I think the new fantasyland will be great...i just think it could have been better...but I digress

Im pretty sure Universal has the rights to keep the attractions and characters they have already built but probably cannot build further on those characters. Same as disney does with say anything MGM they currently have at DHS.

Doing this may cause friction and they would probably loose more business as a result..bad for their business and further adding to them burning bridges.

On the other hand if it forced them to compete even further thats good for us!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Now that Marvel is full owned by Disney, I think the Walt Disney Company needs to take aggressive action to force Universal to re-theme its Marvel Island at IOA. These characters are now a Disney property and just as much as I would not want to see Woody or Buzz at Universal, I do not want to see Spiderman or any other Marvel characters at Universal.

I really hope Disney takes aggressive steps to force Universal to re-theme that area, Universal can re-theme the area into Cybertron from Transformers or something else. I find it offensive that Universal has our characters.

What do you all think?
    why make waves when Disney isn't setup to out do them yet?

You don't win fans by shutting the world down - you win fans by being the better product.. and then strangling your competition out on such grounds.

But to try to shut them down now when Disney wouldn't do anything with them would be just pissing into the wind.

You can't let spite run a business.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Isn't Disney making money off of Universal having a Marvel land and presumably selling Marvel products?
    Just joined! Can't believe I haven't joined sooner.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The Spiderman ride ROCKS, I see no reason for it being taken out until Disney makes a better ride

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disney cannot get aggressive on this issue, much less force NBCUniversal. The contract for Islands of Adventure is very clear. The only way Disney can get back the rights for East of the Mississippi River is to pay NBCUniversal whatever sum of money they want for the rights.

Cannot comment about the contracts for Universal Studios Japan or Madam Tussauds London.

• Senior Minion

What do you all think?
    I think many in Disney management feel the same way as the OP.

I think if Disney were to take such steps, the public would rightly view them as bullies, greedily gobbling franchises and bashing their competition into submission.

(Oh, and they're not "our" characters, they're characters created by Marvel and purchased by Disney. Unless, of course, the OP is posting as an employee of the Company -- or if posting as a fan, so strongly identifies with the Company as to have lost his identity as a consumer of their products and services.)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

But first things first and make Universal give up the characters. All Disney has to do is raise the licensing fees so high that its no longer attractive for Universal to keep them around.
    Disney cannot raise the fees. They are raised every year based on inflation calculated from the Consumer Price Index. Do yourself a favor and read the contract, otherwise this just looks like you trying to pick at an issue you know to be a hot topic.

Marvel Agreement between MCA Inc. and Marvel Entertainment Group

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    why make waves when Disney isn't setup to out do them yet?

You don't win fans by shutting the world down - you win fans by being the better product.. and then strangling your competition out on such grounds.

But to try to shut them down now when Disney wouldn't do anything with them would be just pissing into the wind.

You can't let spite run a business.

Disney will never make a better product, attraction (Marvel theme parks rides) better then UNI's Islands of Adventures. Perfect example, in twelve years, Disney still hasn't topped Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. You have to give props to Universal for always up the ante on new attractions, and no doubt the new Transformers: The Ride will make a new mark in theme park fun.

Disney just a tight wade who doesn't want to fork over the extra buck or two and just depends on the "familiar' and just feed off the Disney zombies or they get stuck spending millions on something they should had done from the very beginning (cough, cough... California adventure billion dollar make over =)

• Banned User

What do I think? What do I think? I think you're unfamiliar with the concept of the business contract, and its purpose. Disney and Universal are corporations, not street gangs. They may be rivals in business occasionally, but they're not enemy nations, hellbent on each other's destruction.

What do I think? I think you need to stop reading the Wall Street Journal like it's a Tom Clancy novel.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    Disney will never make a better product, attraction (Marvel theme parks rides) better then UNI's Islands of Adventures. Perfect example, in twelve years, Disney still hasn't topped Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
    SuperHero Island isn't a far stretch to beat. I mean, most of it is big painted flats for their atmosphere outside the attractions! I mean.. Hulk, Storm Force, Doc Doom?? Come on..

Spiderman is a top attraction - no doubt. But Spiderman doesn't make a themepark and IOA's lack of success as a mecca of Comic Nerds shows just how weak it really is compared to what it could be. There is plenty of room for improvement. IOA's use of marvel characters is still 90% 'slap on a character on the entrance'... no better then SixFlags in most cases.

Look at WWHOP and FJ... vs SuperHero Island and Spiderman. The former is drawing HP fans from around the world to come see.. and not just for FJ.. but the whole thing. SuperHero Island is drawing who?? I mean come on... Dr Suess is implemented better at IOA then Marvel is.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged