• Circle of Ancients

Netflix Raises the Roof ... on Fees

I'm sure many of you who are Netflix subscribers have heard the news, or received emails about the "great new two-tiered" program they are having.

This was the email I got:

Dear Gregg,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $24.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray access) will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
    Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray), 4 out at-a-time (no streaming)
    for $26.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $34.98 a month ($7.99 + $26.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team
    I love how they tried to make it look like I'm getting such a great deal, but in reality I'm paying $10 more a month for the same service I get now. I cancelled my Netflix and am going with Streaming only (for now) until I find something better.

Also of note, I've had Netflix since 2000 and I was supposedly "grandfathered in" with my old plan and these types of things weren't supposed to effect our plan. Guess not. So much for taking care of your loyal customers who were around when Netflix was nothing.

Anybody else planning on modifying or cancelling their Netflix outright?

• Bucket List Car

Re: Netflix Raises the Roof ... on Fees

I haven't decided yet what I want to do. May just do the streaming as well.
    It is frustrating to have such a price hike! sheesh.

What's frustrating is that Netflix is unique. We get both single discs, and the streaming, and both serve different needs. It angers me to cave and pay, but there's nothing to replace it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I got something similar.
    We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
    Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team
    The streaming works great and there's no waiting, but there are so many programs that are only available on dvd.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Senior Minion

I'm keeping my Netflix the way it is, even with the price hike. I'm not a big movie person, but I do enjoy having the ability to watch my movies online and get DVD's. I have my account for 2 discs at a time and streaming so it won't cost me that much more than what I would spend going to the movies and having some snacks.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

I am modifying my plan to DVD's only. I never use the streaming so I won't lose any sleep over getting it off my plan.

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• For You!

I am still not sure what I'm going to do. I like being able to rent older movies that I can't really find anymore. But, my kids like the streaming to watch cartoons. And we don't have a video rental store here anymore, only Redbox - which is fine for current releases.

But, I feel like I should cancel just to prove a point. Why do people feel the need to mess up a good thing

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Why do people feel the need to mess up a good thing
    To make more money. Although, we don't know for sure if the movies and TV shows started charging more. It sure seemed cheap for what you got.

• Circle of Ancients

Their stock price has sure taken a hit the past few days.

Somebody told me the studios are charging a lot more for the movies now and have many more options for distribution. So NetFlix has to pass along the rate increase.

I also feel the need to cancel to make a point. I'm not sure it will help, though, and in the meantime, I'm without movies and that makes me sad.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

The studios are definitely charging more, especially since streaming became so popular over the last couple of years. I was initially really annoyed with this change (well, I still am), but I've gotten to the point where I accept that they need to do this. Also, after seeing Harry Potter and Winnie the Pooh over the weekend, and adding up the prices of those two by themselves, both with and without concessions, having 2 DVDs at a time plus streaming is still a very good deal, even though I'll be going up 5 bucks a month. As long as I've got something like 300 movies in my DVD queue, I think it's worth it, but each subscriber's going to have different needs/wants.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

• Future Cast Member

I was so angry about this. At the beginning of the year, I was paying about $8 for unlimited DVDs (1 at a time) and unlimited streaming, and now it's going up to $16! They just raised their prices, too, so right now we're paying $10. Over less than a year, their prices have doubled. It's insane. We're just going with streaming only when September 1st rolls around