1 2.63%
  • 2 Wands - Should have only been 1 movie

1 2.63%
  • 1 Wand - Voldemort Voldemort oh Voldy Voldy Voldy Voldemort

1 2.63%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: MiceChat Reviews

As I've mentioned in other threads, I hated it. I guess I'm playing the Devil's Advocate, but it was by far, in my opinion, the worst of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Sounds great!

Forgot to add that I thought the best acting job in the movie was Helena playing Hermione, while dressed up as Bellatrix. She had all the subtleties down perfect.
    I assume that was Emma's voice (which wasn't really necessary). If not, she just outdid herself.
    I noticed her little Hermione mannerisms too!! I thought that was so cool! It was weird seeing Helena Bonham Carter in a Harry Potter movie and not all crazy! It was like it really wasn't her!

Definitely 5 wands!!

Also, dug the preview of "Dark Knight Rises."
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I only gave the movie three stars, and I see that I am definitely in the minority here on that rating. My main beef with the movie is how it made me feel. I suppose having read the book before seeing the movie is the reason why. There is just way too much that was left out, and so many more things that were changed.

My biggest complaint was the end battle itself between Harry and Voldemort. Explain to me, why it wasn't true to the book? Why did Harry and Voldemort fight in total isolation? Why was Voldemort blown up into a million pieces? Sure it was Harry, and only Harry who would finally kill Voldemort. However, he had much help throughout this entire saga, and all those people should have been there at the moment of Voldemort's death. I would have loved to hear Harry's words to Voldemort exactly as he spoke them in the book. They explained everything perfectly, and put great closure to everything that was sacrificed.

We all don't have the same emotions when we read these books, and see these movies. I think the Harry Potter books are great. I enjoyed reading all of them. I enjoyed the movies as well, and perhaps if I had never turned a page, I would have enjoyed them more.

I will miss having another Harry Potter chapter to look forward to.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I do see some of your points, but I like to look at the books and movies as separate. I know it's hard to do that, but it's really the only way to look at it and be able to enjoy both equally. The movies are "adaptations" of the books, not replications.

In 30 years when somebody else tries to re-create the books they may go in a different direction.

Also, knowing now how the saga ends (remember, when Sorcerer's stone came out only 3 books had been written) may have changed the way they did things in earlier movies.

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ I do see some of your points, but I like to look at the books and movies as separate. I know it's hard to do that, but it's really the only way to look at it and be able to enjoy both equally. The movies are "adaptations" of the books, not replications.

In 30 years when somebody else tries to re-create the books they may go in a different direction.

Also, knowing now how the saga ends (remember, when Sorcerer's stone came out only 3 books had been written) may have changed the way they did things in earlier movies.
    This is how I look at the movies, too. I read the books from a friend so I haven't read Deathly Hallows in more than a year, and it was easier to watch the movie and then the parts of the book came coming back but I didn't notice the changes as much.

I think knowing the whole thing could have definitely changed it. Like if J.K. Rowling hadn't told Alan Rickman secrets about Snape he could have played the character completely differently. Then again some things that she didn't tell the people working on the movie worked out perfectly. Like when designing Dumbledore's wand, they had no idea it was going to end up being the Elder Wand, but luckily it was still designed very unique from the other wands so it worked out well.

• Rock Star Minion

Wondering why younger Lily doesn't have Harry's eyes. I mean, that is the whole connection!!

(Listening to a Mugglenet Pottercast.)
    Last edited by sediment; 07-18-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Reports are Deathly Hallows Part 2 made $168.5 million this weekend making it the #1 opening weekend of all time.

oh wow.

A friend brought this up today after we both saw it for the 2nd time (this time in 3D - not enough of a difference to spend the money on the 3D).

Anywho.... my friend's mom said she would LOVE for JK to write more about the wizarding world. not a sequel, but rather a prequel. Dive into the stories of Harry's parents and Sirius, Remus, Snape, and Pettigrew. I think it would be a fun and interesting perspective. Their childhood and school years are frequently referred to, I think it would be a fun series to read...to follow them through their school years and the initial rise of Voldemort.

It may just be me, her, and her mom...but I think the idea is brilliant!

• Goofy

that would be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThanksRichard View Post
    A friend brought this up today after we both saw it for the 2nd time (this time in 3D - not enough of a difference to spend the money on the 3D).

Anywho.... my friend's mom said she would LOVE for JK to write more about the wizarding world. not a sequel, but rather a prequel. Dive into the stories of Harry's parents and Sirius, Remus, Snape, and Pettigrew. I think it would be a fun and interesting perspective. Their childhood and school years are frequently referred to, I think it would be a fun series to read...to follow them through their school years and the initial rise of Voldemort.

I think Rowling could write more about the world she created but make it a story completely seperate from the one already told. Prequels are so pointless because you already know the outcome and it undermines and waters down what you already have. Harry Potter is great the way it is, I don't want her going back and screwing with it but there is potential for more stories from the wizarding world that she clearly has material and the ideas for. Harry Potter's story is only a look into one time and place in that vast and cool world. On the other hand I think she should just leave it alone and move on to something new.

• Minion

I think a cool series could be developed with Dumbledore. It could be his life story with how he and his family became estranged, his relationship with Grindelwald, and things that Rowling has only left hints at.

I really do like the Sirius, James, Lily, and Snape idea though. That could turn out to be really neat.

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThanksRichard View Post

Quote Originally Posted by theeighthpassenger View Post
    I think Rowling could write more about the world she created but make it a story completely seperate from the one already told. Prequels are so pointless because you already know the outcome and it undermines and waters down what you already have. Harry Potter is great the way it is, I don't want her going back and screwing with it but there is potential for more stories from the wizarding world that she clearly has material and the ideas for. Harry Potter's story is only a look into one time and place in that vast and cool world. On the other hand I think she should just leave it alone and move on to something new.
    I agree with either of these. I just want to cling to the world and have some new stories and movies. Of course I'd rather see a prequel only to see Alan Rickman as Snape again, as well as all the other actors/characters. I'm still pretty sad that the movies are over. It's hard to let go of them and too sad to comprehend that there won't be more movies to come.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

It was good. I gave it 4 wands.

Spoiler
    Thought that Harry really emerged as a true hero when he sacrified himself to
    Voldemort in the forest. It did feel a little unsatisfying after the battle and Voldemort's death. He dies and the next thing you know, he's walking through the hall with a few nods.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Rock Star Minion

I was hoping for a little more of the "Harry sacrificed his life with his love of his friends" parallel to Lily that the book mentions in brief.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theeighthpassenger View Post
    Xmen First Class was great, it really was just a good movie and a story that may not have been needed to be told but it was done well.

I always thought a video game based off the 4 founders of Hogwarts would be a cool game

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast